PDA

View Full Version : FDA advisory panel split on safety of testosterone undecanoate

CONOFVIS
06-18-2013, 02:38 AM
FDA advisory panel split on safety of testosterone undecanoate
· April 18, 2013

The Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee and Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee weighed in on the safety of testosterone undecanoate, which is indicated for replacement therapy in adult men with conditions associated with hypogonadism.

The committee was split in a 9-9 vote on whether testosterone undecanoate (Aveed, Endo Pharmaceuticals Solutions), an intramuscular injection, is safe for the proposed indication. In a 17-1 vote, panel members also decided that the applicant’s proposed instructions for use in the drug’s product labeling would not mitigate the risk for severe post-injection reactions. The labeling instructions state that testosterone undecanoate be administered using a slow (30- to 60-second) injection and that patients remain in the office for 30 minutes post-injection.

“There’s a real absence of data to prove that it’s truly safe. There are relative degrees of safety; we could try to improve on safety. However, I’m still a little concerned we don’t truly understand the mechanism of what’s happening, which is going to mean it’s going to be difficult to predict and prevent [severe post-injection reactions],” Lewis Nelson, MD, temporary voting member, and director of the Fellowship in Medical Toxicology at NYU School of Medicine, said after his vote against the safety of the drug. “We need better data to support the safety before I would be willing to say that it’s safe for broader use, especially once it comes out of clinical trials and into broader use in the US. I’m concerned that populations will change, the indications would broaden and the use would become more widespread than it already is, thus lowering the safety.”

Oil microembolism and other adverse events

Committee members focused on postmarketing reports of pulmonary oil microembolism (POME) in the lungs and potential anaphylactic reactions in patients administered the agent. Additionally, other testosterone injectable agents already approved by the FDA were referenced as they relate to oil microembolism and other adverse events.

Nelson and other voting members continuously cited a lack of comparative data, long-term cardiopulmonary consequences of the drug, and found difficulty justifying a recommendation based on the data presented throughout the entirety of the meeting.

During the public session portion of the meeting, The Endocrine Society representative, Allan R. Glass, MD, spoke regarding the use of injectable testosterone undecanoate as a treatment option for men with androgen deficiency.

“The [Endocrine] Society’s clinical practice guidelines on testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes, which was last updated in 2010 … indicated that in those countries where injectable testosterone undecanoate has been approved for use, it would be an acceptable option in the treatment of men with androgen deficiencies,” Glass said.

In a press release after the panel vote, The Endocrine Society encouraged the FDA to keep the risk-benefit profile (or lack thereof) in context for injectable testosterone undecanoate and its alternatives as the agency finalizes its deliberations between now and the anticipated Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) date.

healio.com/endocrinology/hormone-therapy/news/online/%7Bb14ed942-00f7-45e8-b492-657b5dde9281%7D/fda-advisory-panel-to-vote-on-safety-efficacy-of-testosterone-undecanoate

Shortwhitesprinter
06-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Interesting..

slinsane
07-19-2013, 09:51 PM
come on, if this was so common wouldn't we see this more frequently when others are using these types of substances, sounds like governmental bureaucracy at its best

Joker
07-19-2013, 09:55 PM
FDA=Government=liars

Two kinds of people in america..... wolves and sheep..... and no Wolf is going to listen to a bunch of liars.......
Just my take on it. ... They can Say this they can say that. ... I say FUCK YOU! !!!!

Gopro
07-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Right. THis is all bull shit. Thye just want to make more money by making people take more frequent injection since Test Undec is such a long ester. Fuck the FDA.

Floridagrowin
07-23-2013, 12:04 AM
I irony of this is that most post injection reactions are due to one being allergic to the oil not the testosterone. One should know if they are allergic to peanuts if they are old enough to need TRT. This is just more FDA propaganda and close mindedness.

zdudezdud
12-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Yup agree with that more injections more money, believe it or not i use to work for endo back in the day

Rooroo
12-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Can u imagine spending millions and millions of dollars bringing a product to market and than have to deal with the likes of the FDA?? No thanks !!

zdudezdud
12-12-2013, 03:00 AM
It takes on average 12 years and over 350 million to get a new drug from the laboratory onto the pharmacy shelf, here is full review article.

zdudezdud
12-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Once a company develops a drug, it undergoes around three and a half years of laboratory testing, before an application is made to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin testing the drug in humans. Only one in 1000 of the compounds that enter laboratory testing will ever make it to human testing.

If the FDA gives the green light, the "investigative" drug will then enter three phases of clinical trials:

Phase 1 uses 20-80 healthy volunteers to establish a drug's safety and profile. (about 1 year)
Phase 2 employs 100-300 patient volunteers to assess the drug's effectiveness. (about 2 years)
Phase 3 involves 1000-3000 patients in clinics and hospitals who are monitored carefully to determine effectiveness and identify adverse reactions. (about 3 years)

The company then submits an application (usually about 100,000 pages) to the FDA for approval, a process that can take up to two and a half years. After final approval, the drug becomes available for physicians to prescribe. At this stage, the drug company will continue to report cases of adverse reactions and other clinical data to the FDA.
The research-based pharmaceutical industry currently invests some US$12.6 billion a year in new drug development. Historically, the drug development figure doubles every five years.

zdudezdud
12-12-2013, 03:09 AM
I use to do organic synthesis for a pharma company and I worked on one project for 6 years and that drug never even got into phase 1. Then I got tired of being poor and decided to get into medical sales and made 5x the money I did actually doing synthesis, go figure huh???

Mfire
12-19-2013, 02:31 AM
They don't want test in normal use, the pharm companies would loose too much money on their fake diet drugs, their pain pills and not to mention all the other meds that people would quit taking because they would get healthier!

slash75cmd
12-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Test, in any form, gets me through the day and has helped me with weight loss, blood pressure, and depression. When the FDA starts to truly listen to empirical studies, then we will hopefully see doctors prescribe test more frequently and less of the other meds that may be long term detriments to one's health and psychological state.