PDA

View Full Version : Creatine 101. So, you think you know creatine?

texson
06-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Some people I know use creatine and swear by it, but yet can’t tell you how it works or exactly what it does for you.

This is common enough, you really don't need to know how something works in order to use it and benefit from it. But sometimes it is interesting and even beneficial to know what really goes on behind the scenes, so to speak.

I'm not really going to delve into the actual scientific nuts and bolts of creatine, but I will give you a basic common sense understanding of how the supplement works. Then, if you want a more detailed understanding, there are many good articles on the net that can provide a more in-depth explanation.

Creatine Monohydrate has been called the poor man’s steroid because it DOES work, and it works for a couple of different reasons. It is the combined results of these reasons that enable creatine to contribute to added muscle mass.

In the supplement world, there is an easy way to determine what works and what does not: answer this question: was it on the shelves 10 years ago? And if the answer is yes, then it’s a fair bet that there is some benefit to be had from it. The supplements that become a trend and offer no, or only marginal benefits don’t last.

But that’s not what this post is about…simply benefiting from some supplement. It’s about the supplements that truly contribute to putting on new muscle mass. In particular, creatine. And creatine works.
End of story. The only 2 supplements in years that have proved to be effective in significantly adding muscle mass is protein and creatine.

The Facts

Creatine was discovered in 1832 by a French scientist, but it was not until the 1990’s that it received serious consideration as a body building supplement.

It is naturally produced by the body in the form of creatine phosphate, and is also found in a lot of red meats. And, just like externally increasing testosterone levels amplifies its effects, the same is true for creatine. Creatine Monohydrate, the form of creatine that you buy, is converted into creatine phosphate by your body.

What Creatine Does

Increase In Muscle Nuclei

A muscle’s ability to grow is limited by the number of nuclei it contains. Nuclei are needed to support muscle mass and are generated by other cells know as ‘satellite’ cells.

One of the thing steroids do is to increase the number of satellite cells a muscle contains. Added satellite cells result in added nuclei. Added nuclei means more support for additional muscle mass.
Creatine, to a lesser degree, has the same effect. It causes the body to produce more satellite cells, which in turn produce more nuclei, which in turn support more muscle mass.

As A Fuel

Creatine isn’t a fuel, per se, but more like a fuel enhancer. ATP is the actual fuel a muscle uses in order to execute a contraction. But the fuel supply is short lived during a workout and the muscle must go the the body’s ATP fuel store for more. If the supply is exhausted, then the set is done. When the muscle uses ATP for the contraction, its is exhausted and turned into ADP, which, for fuel purposes, is useless. What creatine does is turn the ADP back into ATP and does so quickly, making more fuel available. This has two disctinct benefits:

1) enables you to lift heavier weight

2) enables you to do more sets and more reps

More weight and more reps result in a better workout, which causes more micro tears in the muscle tissue. More micro tears, which is what testosterone is responsible for repairing, result in more new muscle tissue.

Usage

Creatine is one of those supplements in which less is more. Taking excess amounts of the supplement does not increase its effectiveness. Once the body’s ATP fuel supply is replenished, the excess creatine is excreted by the body. The fuel supply has its natural limits so only enough creatine is needed to get the job done. Anything else is a waste.

Creatine Side Effects

One of the side effects of using creatine is water retention. Creatine tends to cause the muscle to retain water and thus make it look larger. In the beginning, this enlargement due to water retention was thought to be the reason why creatine seemed to increase muscle mass. It has since been learned that this simply is not true.

gotta throw this in or people will be confused and disoriented by this post:

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y440/brust247/txw/43321_zpsd98032a7.jpg

49ER
06-28-2013, 04:19 AM
What the hell Tex this isnt even dirty or offensive im kind of disappointed lol

mizzou24
06-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Still no need to use it while on cycle.

texson
06-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Still no need to use it while on cycle.

I guess maybe not.

mizzou24
06-28-2013, 04:24 AM
It would be good for pct

49ER
06-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Just use dbol raw powder as creatine on cycle

mizzou24
06-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Just use dbol raw powder as creatine on cycle

Yes!!! Okay I don't recommend that.. Lol but would be awesome until ur liver was shat out of you.

texson
06-28-2013, 04:27 AM
What the hell Tex this isnt even dirty or offensive im kind of disappointed lol

sorry 9'er. don't know what I was thinking, but thank you for calling me on it.

I went back and made some adjustments.

sorry

bdad
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I start creatine during my pct and run between cycles.

Gopro
06-28-2013, 12:10 PM
^^^Me too. Gives me hard as fuck pumps when on or off gear. I can feel a difference. I know some people say its just not worth it but i can tell when im on or when im off!!!!

jurgensplurgen
06-28-2013, 09:43 PM
I stopped using it for now because with the heat, and the increased need for water already with being 'on'..plus tendency to hold water..makes me toon thirsty to keep up with and bloats my stomach a bit. Post cycle itll be the first supp in my inventory.

Actuated01
06-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Last stuff i took was cytocell by cytogenetix. Im not sure if they make it anymore but that stuff did wonders for my strength before i started my first cycle. It was a little pricey but well worth it.

sofargone561
06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
i take it while pct or off cycle. the only time i take it while on cycle now is when its in my pwo

texson
06-29-2013, 01:42 AM
the sure way to find out if creatine works for you - quit using it. the difference is very noticable .

sofargone561
06-29-2013, 01:43 AM
it does a lot for me honestly. i like it. but since its in most of my preworkouts thats the only time i use it really its enough to notice