PDA

View Full Version : HOMEOSTASIS

HARD AT IT
06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I found this on another forum.. Pretty interesting.....

I'm no doctor so this will be very Ley. If you want scientific explanations and definitions, Google it. lol

What I find most AAS users don't understand is why they continue, year after year, to not really make any significant changes with their physiques cycle after cycle. Yes, things like PCT, food, training intensity and mental stability are all important, but understanding the effect of homestasis is the thing most don't even think about, or know about.

Homeostasis in a nutshell is your body's ability to regulate itself. Take for example a normal healthy 30year old man. His body naturally regulates its blood glucose via the pancreas by producing insulin and glucogon. When this doesn't happen, diabetes is a result.

The body can also regulate its body temp from within. Whereas say a reptile has to lay in the sun to get warm.

But this goes beyond an advantageous benefit. When it comes to adding bodyweight, this is more of a disadvantage than an advantage IMO.

Say you do a 10 week cycle of test @ 500mg/w. You start at 200lbs and end the 10 weeks at 230lbs. Most people will blame a bad PCT, or lack of cals, or intensity in the gym on losing the majority of that BW. Unfortunately, this is true, but it is mainly due to homeostasis.

Your body doesn't wanna be 230lbs. It was comfy at 200lbs because it was done naturally and slowly over time. I say again... TIME. It is very unnatural for the human body to gain 30lbs in 10 weeks, but its even worse when you are gaining muscle. So after your short 10 week cycle, your body says, "thank god thats over, lets get back HOME!"

You see, everyone is blessed with a certain number of muscle cells once you stop growing. Adding AAS to the mix just increases the volume of those cells. This is why HGH has become a mainstay in the BBing world. Because HGH increases the livers production of igf-1, which induces Hyperplasia, or the generation of muscle cells. Now when you do AAS, you not only make your original cells bigger, but the new ones grow as well. A little side note, but people have asked. Either way, even a straight AAS cycle will only make the cells you already have bigger. Not add new ones.

So, I learned after a couple cycles that cycle length plays a big part in combatting homeostasis as well. So I would spend my first 12 weeks on a cycle gaining my BW, then the next 12 weeks letting my body acclimate to the new weight, giving it time to adjust and get comfy with my extra ____lbs. Now, is that to say i never lost anything when I came off? No. But it wasn't 10 and 20lbs like most do.

Am i saying you have to do 6 months cycles to succeed? Of course not. But understanding how homeostasis works in regards to AAS use is, to me, the most important aspect of this game. Because as soon as you start seeing that weight come off, what do you do? You freak the fuck out, and either lose everything and give up, or you start another cycle again. When all it takes is staying strong mentally and following these few things:

1. Keep your calories UP. Everyone wants to stop eating when they come off for some reason. Still eat clean, but remember you are now catabolic, so every calorie counts.

2. Maintain training intensity, but lower your volume. Again, catabolism is gonna be in full force. So hit it hard and get home and eat. Then rest. Also, adding CEE is nice cause it will keep some of the water weight around to keep your head on straight.

3. Of course a proper PCT protocol. I shouldn't have to put this, but i will for the window-lickers.

4. Keep your head on straight. You will lose some weight. But if you trained hard, ate clean, and got your rest during your cycle, then you should have gained a good bit of LBM. WHo gives a fuck about bodyweight. We want LBM!! And 1lb of LBM is awesome.

5. Stay off the scale. I follow this rule all year round, but i know you guys love the weight thing. Like i have said a million times. Who fucking cares how much you weigh? The hot bitch in the thong on the beach isn't interested in how much you weigh... just how badass your physique looks. I would rather be 185lbs and look 215lbs then be 215lbs and look like a 300lbs fatass!!

Again, this is my approach but I feel most young guys (and even us older guys) forget how important this is when adding an AAS regiment to the mix. Remember, the drugs are only a tool. Without intense training, good whole foods (not a bunch of shakes) and plenty of rest and water you ain't SHIT!!

Gopro
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Very informative post!!!! Thanks.

bbcoach
06-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Hey thanks for the info. this is some good stuff and something we dont always think about....

JM750
06-29-2013, 02:43 AM
cliff notes? LOL

peewee
06-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Good post. Thanks,

bdad
07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Enjoyed it