PDA

View Full Version : All Things Sterile

swinging_away
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
The actual steps to brewing are not rocket science and sterility has to be the most important step of all.

I wanted to start a thread talking about what steps are done to keep things safe at all stages.

Some examples:

How do you prep your work station and room?

How do you clean your tools and equipment?

How do you sterilize your empty vials and caps before filling?

Which solvents are used?

texson
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
it's simpler than that, even. just make the shit and filter it into the new, sterile vial.

and that's it.

people should take the time to read the specs on these 22um syringe filters and see just exactly what all they don't let pass.

applying enough heat to kill the nasty shit is dicey. temperature needed to kill some stuff is too close to test molecules destruction point.

4everstrong
07-01-2013, 09:19 PM
it's simpler than that, even. just make the shit and filter it into the new, sterile vial.

and that's it.

people should take the time to read the specs on these 22um syringe filters and see just exactly what all they don't let pass.

applying enough heat to kill the nasty shit is dicey. temperature needed to kill some stuff is too close to test molecules destruction point.

Sealed sterile vials are around $1.50 for a 10ml. If your making a pretty big batch then it is really expensive to buy sealed sterile vials.
Its best to buy the open serum vials if your a big brewer that makes big batches. For one 10ml open serum vial is $0.50
Best way to go if you know how to sterilize everthing correctly. Saves a ton of money.
But if your a small brewer just buy the sealed sterile vials.

Rmewrench
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM

and that's it.

Heating for sterility isn't necessary with BA and 22um filters. The filter media is small enough to filter out microscopic bacteria. Then the BA will get the rest along will preserving the finished product. To the op. I personally put my media bottles (glass) in a pressure cooker with distilled water and let it go for 20min after it starts steaming. While that's going on I preheat oven to 400 and after I take bottles out of cooker and throw them in the oven to dry. I wipe all my tools and work area down with rubbing alcohol along with my media bottle caps. I use a septa cap for my media bottles. As soon as I'm done filtering The cap with the septa goes on. Then you have a sealed sterile solution. Fill syringes through the septa and fill pre sterile vials. Of course wipe all vial tops with alcohol before filling also.

texson
07-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I forgot to add that. The primary purpose of the BA is to keep the solution sterile in the vial. In the body, it quickly separates and disperses.