PDA

View Full Version : sticking point

luckyluke_80
07-23-2013, 04:56 PM
So I was benching the other day and kept hitting a 1in sticking point. I would take the bar off, slowly take the bar down, tap the chest and then try to exlpode it off. The problem was I kept hitting a sticking point but powdered throughout. After that little point 350 felt light and went right up! The problem was /is I was bench 350 and 335 which for 1 rep is normally no problem. I hit 385 a few times the last couple months.

So my question is what do you guy do or so me stuff to help those sticking points

HARD AT IT
07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Depending on where your stick point is? I like to use a board press. My stick points seem to be about 2" or so off my chest. So I get a 2x4 and do some heavy presses off the board. Then for the next set load up some more weight and and another board to the top and press off that as well.. You can get in the squat rack and set your pins for like a floor press as well. Just have to power up and feel that negative brother. You will blow right past it in a couple weeks.. Good Luck!!

Gunner16
07-23-2013, 05:51 PM
My sticking point was right where your is I'm not as strong as you though but what really helped me was pause sets. I would do my normal workout and say I finished with 315 I would drop to 225 and do as many with a pause as I can.

cb1
07-23-2013, 05:55 PM
LL, Exactly where is your sticking point? When it comes to these points I believe its a weakness slightly below the point the bar stops but it sticks as you fully run out of momentum. In general your lats start the drive at the very bottom. Chest and shoulders bottom half ant triceps at the top half. You can do board presses finding a combo of boards that stops you about an inch bellow sticking point. You can set the bar in the rack on the pins and press from the bottom up starting just below your sticking point. If it is in the top half pressing against bands is the way to go. If you stick in the bottom portion you should start doing alot of pauses on the chest to eliminate momentum from bouncing. Tried to make this general to help anyone who might read the thread. CB

darksidefitness
07-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Like CB1 said...HEAVY press pin...