PDA

View Full Version : Self treating for high hematocrit/RBC

ironmako
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Guys,If you notice hematocrit or RBC pegging high while on test, do yourself and your fellow man a favor and go donate some whole blood. There is always a need for people with strong blood iron content. Bear in mind that not all blood donations are equal, sometimes the blood banks need platelets or other blood components. Not gonna say its not good to donate those components but if you are seeing a trend towards polycythemia don't just ignore it, help yourself and someone else. DONATE!

redhawk01
11-09-2013, 02:49 AM
^^^this^^^i do double reds as well.

PAiN
11-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Great post bro. I agree. I give double reds every chance I get.

Khem
11-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know whether its better to give whole, or double RBC? I know if you give double RBC you are unable to give for a lot longer period of time. So what is technically better to give? More often, whole blood, or less often double blood?

ironmako
11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Khem, I posed your question to my doc and was told to juat donate a unit of whole blood as opposed to double reds so as to lower the other elevated blood products as well (hematocrit, etc.) I didn't get a lot of justification on whether the other products were detrimental if they stayed high.

Khem
11-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Good to know mako, thx

bigsam
11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I donate as much as I can. I wish it was more though.