PDA

View Full Version : Early Onset Hip Arthritis

enrod
12-04-2013, 03:27 AM
I was a powerlifting for about 3 years, focused mainly on the squat/deadlift/shoulder press/bench press/etc. routines. I started to notice a crippling pain in my hip, around the time I hit a 425lb deadlift (at 170lb). I spent some time off, a good 3-6 months before going back at a squat or deadlift, thinking it was a pull and would heal itself. I got under that squat bar again, but things didn't seem right. A year and a half down the road, I recently had some work done to have it looked at. I was under the impression it was a hip labral tear. Unfortunately, the doc told me it wasn't a tear (after several MRIs and co-pays later), and the inflammation on the bone around the labrum was symptoms of arthritis. I'm in my mid 20's, and floored to hear I have arthritis.

Does anyone have similar issues, and found ways to work around it? I am unable to get under a squat bar anymore and it's frustrating the shit outta me. I've decided to start doing some yoga/stretching exercises, hoping that will help. Any experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks brothers.

PAiN
12-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear brother. I wish I could help with this unfortunately I know nothing about arthritis. That is strange it happened so early.

Did they give any reason that could have made it progress so quickly?

enrod
12-04-2013, 11:41 AM
It was quite strange, and the doctor seemed to give me that no hope response, as it is only on one side of my hip. I notice it the most when I twist my knee in, towards my other knee, or when I hit parallel in the squat rack (even without weight). I'm hoping with conditioning, I'll be able to strengthen the joints or something to hopefully be able to do moderate weight compounds.

rustyco
10-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I was a powerlifting for about 3 years, focused mainly on the squat/deadlift/shoulder press/bench press/etc. routines. I started to notice a crippling pain in my hip, around the time I hit a 425lb deadlift (at 170lb). I spent some time off, a good 3-6 months before going back at a squat or deadlift, thinking it was a pull and would heal itself. I got under that squat bar again, but things didn't seemright. A year and a half down the road, I recently had some work done to have it looked at. I was under the impression it was a hip labral tear. Unfortunately, the doc told me it wasn't a tear (after several MRIs and co-pays later), and the inflammation on the bone around the labrum was symptoms of arthritis. I'm in my mid 20's, and floored to hear I have arthritis.

Does anyone have similar issues, and found ways to work around it? I am unable to get under a squat bar anymore and it's frustrating the shit outta me. I've decided to start doing some yoga/stretching exercises, hoping that will help. Any experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks brothers.

Reviving this thread. I recently received similar news, its in my shoulder and hip. I refuse to accept it and I am determined to find a solution to this situation. Not lifting simply is not an option. Mine seems to come and go. How is your situation, is there anything you did that helps? I am interested in hearing about how your situation is now.

enrod
10-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Reviving this thread. I recently received similar news, its in my shoulder and hip. I refuse to accept it and I am determined to find a solution to this situation. Not lifting simply is not an option. Mine seems to come and go. How is your situation, is there anything you did that helps? I am interested in hearing about how your situation is now.

Since this situation, I started working with a competition coach who has changed my form and the weight I use. I went back down to a 65lb squat and have worked myself up to 225x10 with correct, controlled, form and my hip and knees have strengthened properly to support it. I no longer powerlift either. For the most part, it no longer affects my workouts.

rustyco
10-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Since this situation, I started working with a competition coach who has changed my form and the weight I use. I went back down to a 65lb squat and have worked myself up to 225x10 with correct, controlled, form and my hip and knees have strengthened properly to support it. I no longer powerlift either. For the most part, it no longer affects my workouts.
So do you stick primarily with training that focuses on hypertrophy?

enrod
10-05-2015, 12:27 AM
So do you stick primarily with training that focuses on hypertrophy?

As opposed to?

Not really familiar with the styles. I focus on form and controlled reps with deep squeezing, I find it works and shapes the muscles properly for my goals. You won't see me using momentum or explosion to move anything.

rustyco
10-05-2015, 12:28 AM
As opposed to?

Not really familiar with the styles. I focus on form and controlled reps with deep squeezing, I find it works and shapes the muscles properly for my goals. You won't see me using momentum or explosion to move anything.
That's exactly what I was looking for. That's what I have started doing. Thanks bro.

enrod
10-05-2015, 12:32 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for. That's what I have started doing. Thanks bro.

Keep up with it man you can work yourself through the injuries. One thing my coach did a great job of was humbling me in the gym. I often work with weights lower than guys around me, but look 100x better. The gym is to break down muscle fibers, and I find this style of training to work the best for me, and has been great for avoiding injuries. My rep range is 8-15 with the heaviest weights I can control for this many reps.

rustyco
10-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Sounds good. And your right about humbling yourself. It's hard to drop the weight at first, but it seems to be working.