PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Raise Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors

rmkicks
02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Fulfilling a promise made in his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will sign an executive order Wednesday to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 for federal contract workers.
Obama is scheduled to sign the order at a White House event on Wednesday afternoon.
The order will increase the paychecks of about 300,000 government workers — which critics point out is a small percentage of the more than 2 million federal contractors.

But the president has framed the move as a way to spur Congress to increase the federal hourly minimum wage for all workers from $7.25 to $10.10.
Indeed, Obama’s Organizing for Action group is running television ads to support the idea
"President Obama is urging Congress to give America a raise," the ad says.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Deputy Chief Economist J.D. Foster, and others, however, have argued that raising the minimum wage will actually result in a loss of jobs (https://www.uschamber.com/blog/proponents-know-minimum-wage-hike-means-lost-jobs).
About 1.6 million workers in the United States earned the federal minimum wage of $7.25, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2012.htm#1)' latest figures, from 2012. About 2 million people earned wages below the federal minimum.
Timed to go along with Obama’s order, the Council of Economic Advisers is expected to release a new analysis that shows that raising the minimum wage will benefit the economy — and won't kill jobs.
Raising the wage would increase incomes for an estimated 12 million Americans now living in poverty, according to an advance copy of the economic report. Two million of those people would be lifted out of poverty, the report claimed.

According to the report, 64 studies of minimum wage increases also found “no discernable effect on employment.”
Wages will increase to $10.10 an hour on new contracts beginning Jan. 1, 2015, the White House said.
— Kristen Welker and Jeff Black

hunkstrum
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
I say we reduce the minimum wage to 2.15 an hour. Fucking free-loaders and their demands for livable wages. I mean you can practically support a family of 20 and buy a Mercedes on $10 an hour. Ever since we had this Kenyan lizard-man elected in a free election, the whole world has gone to shit. THE ENTIRE WORLD HAS BEGUN TO FALL. THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND!!!! if anyone needs me, ill be outside waiting for the rapture. (seriously, you guys should expect this from me by now :-)

AndyL
02-13-2014, 03:54 AM
I like the idea of this if it works out the way it should . Millions of people like myself working in retail or fast food struggling to get by like the sound of this . I'm sure president Obama is weighing the pros and cons before signing anything to pass this .

Khem
02-13-2014, 04:03 AM
I think too much focus is on minimum wage and not enough on educated employees. No offense because I had a minimum wage job until I landed this sales job, but if you're hungry enough, and you fucking WANT IT.. you will go get it.. no matter if you need to relocate or stretch a resume, or shake hands and personally apply to 100 fucking places. You quit, you lose.

I think minimum wage *has* to raise because of Cost of living but that should not be the focus.. yet it always is.

monster
02-13-2014, 05:46 AM
I don't no what planet some people live on but not everyone can get a good job lots of jobs are taken their is way to many people in this world now in Illinois your lucky to get a wearhouse job the people who say oh just try try most not no what its really like to have no good education I came from the ghetto so what about people like that people say old we needed work on education yes we do but what about the people that need it at all cost money education cost money and how can we afford that 7 bucks an hour this world is ruff they need to raise this shit so kore people can survive I busted my ass to get to where I'm at I almost never graduate high school and I had a work my way to security tickets so many different classes and everything Thanks for Illinois strict laws and I'm only making 10 an hour now so if that goes up I get 12 then maybe fer once in my life I can move out of moms house and feel like I did something good

monster
02-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Lets not ferget most jobs are hired by temps witch rob you I say we get rid of fucking tempsthey take atleast 3 bucks

Khem
02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
I came from the "ghetto" too. Gunshots didn't even phase us as long as it wasn't at us. Our homes had bullet holes my mom's a grocer clerk.

I didn't goto college. I hungrily Chased high paying jobs and had to prove I could learn it. I landed a six figure job in January. There are no excuses, the only thing holding you or anyone back is you.

Not trying to be disrespectful. It's not easy but there is no excuse. There are plenty of millionaires that are fucking dumb, but they persevered. Just like there are plenty of highly intelligent people who are broke and penniless. Make shit happen or it won't.

monster
02-13-2014, 07:49 AM
G ot that right
I came from the "ghetto" too. Gunshots didn't even phase us as long as it wasn't at us. Our homes had bullet holes my mom's a grocer clerk.

I didn't goto college. I hungrily Chased high paying jobs and had to prove I could learn it. I landed a six figure job in January. There are no excuses, the only thing holding you or anyone back is you.

Not trying to be disrespectful. It's not easy but there is no excuse. There are plenty of millionaires that are fucking dumb, but they persevered. Just like there are plenty of highly intelligent people who are broke and penniless. Make shit happen or it won't.

hrtpharm
02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
This is really simple guys as a country we stopped making things from wood and steel we have no industry left to speak of when this happens a country falls, you cannot prosper selling service like we are now, Obama is a joke always was, we live in an era of entitlement and until it changes expect more of the same.