PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Whey Protein Powder

LunarPharma
03-15-2014, 02:39 PM
I've been making my own for a while now and it works great. Does anyone else make their own whey protein concentrate?

rmkicks
03-15-2014, 02:41 PM
No but it sounds very interesting!!

enrod
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Didn't know anyone did this. Is it worth it in the wallet and still produce a quality powder?

Rooroo
03-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I've been making my own for a while now and it works great. Does anyone else make their own whey protein concentrate?

Lunar I think it's safe to say u just like making things :) (bodybuilding) related that is ! Lol
What's it taste like and what flavors do u make ?

xmuscle
03-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Never heard of this how does it taste

bigbreads80
03-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Never heard of such a thing! But Lunar would be the guy for it! Do tell...

TheTrain
03-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Honestly considering you can only process so much whey protein at a time I stick to the blends:) This is very cool though and want to know about it!

LunarPharma
03-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Lunar I think it's safe to say u just like making things :) (bodybuilding) related that is ! Lol
What's it taste like and what flavors do u make ?

Haa yes I do enjoy making things. And it is unflavored, which leaves it open to make it taste like whatever I want it to. Cost wise, its about 1-1.5$ per pound of finished product if you have quality liquid whey byproduct. Granted its going to be about 15g of protein per "scoop" rather than the 25g or what ever the typical amount is per scoop, but its basically filtering then heating to a certain temp or the right amount of time, straining, then sticking it in a dehydrator. Very cheap and easy to do, which is why I got into it in the first place. I was paying upwards of 100$ or more a month on protein powder, now I spend 10-20$.

As for flavoring, nestle makes a no sugar added chocolate powder you can mix in with some splenda, and that is really good. You can do the same with their "strawberry" stuff, but that just tastes horrible... They make cappuccino flavoring that has no sugar added which makes it great as well. Really and truly it is what ever you want.

enrod
03-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Haa yes I do enjoy making things. And it is unflavored, which leaves it open to make it taste like whatever I want it to. Cost wise, its about 1-1.5$ per pound of finished product if you have quality liquid whey byproduct. Granted its going to be about 15g of protein per "scoop" rather than the 25g or what ever the typical amount is per scoop, but its basically filtering then heating to a certain temp or the right amount of time, straining, then sticking it in a dehydrator. Very cheap and easy to do, which is why I got into it in the first place. I was paying upwards of 100$ or more a month on protein powder, now I spend 10-20$.

As for flavoring, nestle makes a no sugar added chocolate powder you can mix in with some splenda, and that is really good. You can do the same with their "strawberry" stuff, but that just tastes horrible... They make cappuccino flavoring that has no sugar added which makes it great as well. Really and truly it is what ever you want.

Is it difficult to source quality whey protein byproduct?

LunarPharma
03-16-2014, 01:25 AM
It depends on where you are from. The best source is a cheese farm where they raise the cows for cheese making purposes only. These typically make specialty cheeses as well. But any cheese creamery will do as long as it isn't processed cheese.

Khem
03-16-2014, 08:27 AM
I thought you got it to curd with vinegar, then strained and dehydrated?

LunarPharma
03-16-2014, 02:23 PM
I thought you got it to curd with vinegar, then strained and dehydrated?

To make cheese you add an acid to milk which causes the curds to separate from the whey. You gather the curds and that makes cheese. The liquid whey byproduct is 15-35% whey protein, like 50% lactose and the rest fat. In order to get the protein out, without the rest, you can use a number of filtration methods because the protein molecules are larger than the rest of what is in it. Then to make sure you havent missed anything you heat it up to 63 C for 1800 seconds, and that causes the rest of the protein to curl up into clumps which can be strained out.

LunarPharma
03-17-2014, 02:05 AM
There r more efficient methods but I haven't tinkered enough with them... Yet...

THE 67
12-14-2014, 10:16 PM
can u tell us where to obtain the by-product... ?? is there a site to buyu it off of ??

zenstyle
12-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Will you post a how to from sources to ingredients and from start to finish?

Mungus
12-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Whey is a by-product of making cheese from milk. If you add rennet to milk, separate the curds and whey, evaporate what's left and powder it, that's essentially whey powder. I'm sure it's a bit more involved than that but that's the gist of it...Plus you can get some tasty cheese :) Sounds like Lunar had the filtration methods sorted...

miggymig
01-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I gotta try this