PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed bodybuilder killed by cocktail of steroids

PAiN
04-03-2014, 12:50 AM
A fitness fanatic obsessed with bodybuilding ignored warnings to stop working out and was killed by taking a cocktail of steroids and ‘bulking-up supplements’, an inquest has heard.

Aged just 20 Oli Cooney had suffered two heart attacks and three strokes due to his intense fitness routine but ignored doctors who told him his life was at risk if he did not cut back his bodybuilding and weight lifting.

He also refused to listen to friends and family telling them he was ‘invincible and limitless’.

Just a month before his death he wrote on his own Facebook site: “Some guy in the gym saying he’s had a chest infection so he hasn’t trained for a year I’m like ha (sic) ive (sic) heart attacks, strokes, heart failure only 3 months off. like a boss.”

After working out from the age of 16, the 5ft 2in bodybuilding obsessive was open with his family about taking anabolic steroids because he wanted to change his body image.

But after a night out on September 22 last year, his collapsed while running for a taxi and was later pronounced dead shortly after arriving at Bradford Royal Infirmary.

His mother, Sarah Cooney said she and her husband Simon wanted their son’s death to drive home the message that steroids can kill.

Mrs Cooney said: “Oli was driven by a passion for bodybuilding and unfortunately it was his passion that took his life.

“We would not want anyone to go through this hell we have been through. We will never move on from this.”

The inquest in Bradford, West Yorks, heard how Mr Cooney from Baildon was also taking physical enhancing supplements including milk thistle at the time of his death, having been diagnosed with chronic heart damage after complaining of chest pains.

He had stopped taking the anabolic steroids but the irreversible and long-term damage to his heart had already been done.

Despite having three heart attacks and two strokes, which left him with weakness down one side and without speech for a time, he responded well to physiotherapy but returned to working out at the gym three or four times a week.

He told a nurse he would rather have another heart attack than another stroke because of the effect a stroke would have on his body.

The hearing was told by health professionals how he seemed to be in some denial about his serious heart condition and its consequences, and he had insisted on continuing to take bulking-up supplements, although he would always get them checked out first with medics.

Assistant Bradford Coroner Dr Dominic Bell recorded a verdict of substance abuse of anabolic steroids, and told Mr Cooney’s family were not to blame themselves.

Dr Bell said: “He had this weakness that he was driven to alter his body image to become more confident in society.
“For most people what had already happened to him would have been a wake-up call but he was not willing to listen or learn from the heart professionals.

“If he did not listen to them, he would not listen to you - it does not reflect any shortfall on you.”

animal87
04-03-2014, 12:57 AM
I believe it was his diet and probably alcohol/ rec drugs that most likely did it. Even after all the stuff with my surgeries and everything. I get a near perfect bill of health at my check ups. Not to say that couldn't change, I can;t run a marathon or anything any more but I'm alot healthier than the average person.

TheTrain
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Besides diabetes which I cant help, me to. BP will get a little high but nothing crazy ever!

Cummins
04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Yea - just too many unknown factors to understand the real causes of death. Well, it's always sad to see someone die so young. Too bad we can't have a peak at his past AAS cycles. He may have been running dangerously high amounts of chemicals. But of course we can only speculate without more definitive data.

Dont wanna be old
04-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Well if we had the numbers can you tell me how many recreational drug users are healthier ?
Steroids are used to better ones self . The person that has obsessive compulsive behavior will do the same thing if he was obsessed with Vikings . He would cut a artery playing with a sword in Viking outfit .
AAS is in EVERY sport around the world .
I bet more people get liver damage from over use of acetaminophen .
Peace
DWBO

Cummins
04-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Well if we had the numbers can you tell me how many recreational drug users are healthier ?

I'm assuming you're directing that question to me. I personally don't see your correlation between having the numbers and wondering how many recreational drug users are healthier? I was making the point that there is a lack of definitive information in the article. We all die of heart failure one day (the true definition of death). Having spent a lot of years dealing with the Coroners Office and death reports, it would have been interesting to be privy to the autopsy report. Or to have known what kind and amounts of AAS he was pushing. The numbers could have been outrageous by anyone's standards. When there is a case like this that the deceased not only had serious medical complications, but bragged about his AAS use in the past , absent any other specific findings the doctor usually makes that the contributing factor. I also agree with your point about acetaminophen. It's not a good choice. Motrin is a much better option Brother.

TheTrain
04-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Tylenol is much harder on the liver than orals but try explaining that to people, and bcause he used AAS that was the cause of the death for sure?!?! Crazy talk

Dont wanna be old
04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm assuming you're directing that question to me. I personally don't see your correlation between having the numbers and wondering how many recreational drug users are healthier? I was making the point that there is a lack of definitive information in the article. We all die of heart failure one day (the true definition of death). Having spent a lot of years dealing with the Coroners Office and death reports, it would have been interesting to be privy to the autopsy report. Or to have known what kind and amounts of AAS he was pushing. The numbers could have been outrageous by anyone's standards. When there is a case like this that the deceased not only had serious medical complications, but bragged about his AAS use in the past , absent any other specific findings the doctor usually makes that the contributing factor. I also agree with your point about acetaminophen. It's not a good choice. Motrin is a much better option Brother.

I was making a general statement . Nothing for anyone particular . I hate the media and how it's not news , it's bias to the agenda ATM .I live in Detroit , watching the news years ago you see Dennis Rodman kicked a photograph . I turned to WGN in Chicago , they showed him holding a kid and autographing a basketball . I saw then news is just a opinion and not true information .
You ever see stories how AAS has benefitted anyone ? Then why is still available from the pharmacy ?
Right now canabis is a hot subject , seeing plenty stories on both sides of the fence .

bigsam
04-06-2014, 09:40 PM
This kid obviously had serious health issues. There's not enough info for anyone to conclude steroids had anything to do with it that just makes a better headline for the sheeple.

Herc
04-06-2014, 09:48 PM
This kid obviously had serious health issues. There's not enough info for anyone to conclude steroids had anything to do with it that just makes a better headline for the sheeple.
^^^^^ That's what I was thinking.

TheTrain
04-06-2014, 10:20 PM

This is exactly what I got from it as well...its not a headline saying a guy who abused recs and had health issues died. But if he ate some dbol years before you better believe that's what did it. What dumb assholes...excuse my language