PDA

View Full Version : Ex-employee of Warren fitness center arraigned in steroids case

PAiN
04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Ex-employee of Warren fitness center arraigned in steroids case

Published: Wed, April 2, 2014 @ 12:05 a.m.

WARREN, OHIO
A former employee of Global Health and Fitness on Elm Road in Warren was arraigned Tuesday morning in Trumbull County Common Pleas Court, accused of helping a 22-year-old Bazetta Township man sell anabolic steroids.

The identities of customers who bought the illegal drugs have not been released by prosecutors or investigators, and charges against them are not planned, investigators said.

Randy A. McCale, 46, of Neil Street in Niles, pleaded not guilty to felony corruption for helping operate the enterprise and five counts of identity fraud for purportedly providing personal information about current and former Global Fitness customers to at least one other person in the enterprise.

Investigators said McCale provided a list of names, birthdates, Social Security numbers and other personal information to Joseph A. Stiver, 22, of Cadwallader-Sonk Road in Bazetta Township.

Stiver used the information to create PayPal accounts in their names that then were used to pay for the illegal steroids, according to an affidavit unsealed in the case.

McCale was released from custody after agreeing to a list of conditions imposed by the county Adult Probation Department.

Stiver pleaded not guilty Monday to 17 charges, including corruption, four counts of identity fraud, eight counts of drug trafficking and four counts of tampering with evidence. Judge Ronald Rice reduced Stiver’s bond to $50,000, but he remained in jail Tuesday afternoon.

Stiver and McCale face the possibility of more than 10 years in prison. The affidavit said McCale and Stiver cooperated with investigators with the Trumbull Ashtabula Group Law Enforcement Task Force, which investigated the enterprise.

Bill Myers, owner of Global Fitness, said McCale used to work the front desk at Global Fitness.

Myers said the personal information McCale released was for former club members, who were notified of the data breach, and none of them has experienced any problems as a result, he said.

Prosecutors said the 140 people whose information was released were “innocent victims.” Investigators spoke with several of the victims, and all said they didn’t know Stiver.

The use of steroids by body builders is widespread and occurs in “any gym all over the world,” he said, adding that steroids are “out there everywhere.”

He said athletes of all kinds “try to get away with things like that,” but he added of the criminal charges and investigation, “Hopefully it will wake all these guys up.”

Myers said he has had “no problem of any kind” during 17 years of operating fitness centers and doesn’t expect this to hurt his business. He didn’t know Stiver, he added.

Investigators said Stiver sold anabolic steroids through a national Internet business called Mutagenic with help from McCale and others.

Stiver ran the website from cellphones and computers and had more than $175,000 stashed in a briefcase in the attic above his bedroom of the home on Cadwallader-Sonk where he lives with his parents.

Investigators say their investigation began Dec. 11, 2013, when Bazetta police investigated a break-in at E-Z Self Storage, which is near Global Fitness, and found a “workshop.”

Inside, they later determined, were boxes of Testosterone Cypionate, which is an anabolic steroid or performance-enhancing drug.

Also found were hypodermic needles, pills and a piece of notebook paper containing handwritten Social Security numbers.

The information led to McCale and Stiver, who later told authorities he arranged to have steroids delivered to distributors by mailing them to customers.

Abuse of anabolic steroids has been linked to health problems such as acne, breast growth and shrinking of testicles in men, high blood pressure, heart problems, liver disease, cancer, kidney damage and aggressive behavior, according to the National Institutes of Health.

TheTrain
04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Umm im familiar with this. I am pretty close to this actually, theres been a few busts lately very close to me. These guys are idiots though...175,000 in parents attic??? Its called safety deposit box dumbass lol

wook
04-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Muta was top of the list on Eroids for a long time... Had great reviews... He is not even listed on there anymore! I'm not sure how long ago he was removed, but I do know he was an awesome source for a long time...

toppjimie
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Muta was top of the list on Eroids for a long time... Had great reviews... He is not even listed on there anymore! I'm not sure how long ago he was removed, but I do know he was an awesome source for a long time...

Fuck THAT.,Anyone who order steroids from this "Mutagenic" Lab should be fucken worried.LE damn sure Confiscated these two dumbfucks computers & smart phones with buyers personnal info in em.I know i'd be worried.

BigPapa
04-03-2014, 05:27 PM
I remember seeing that labs name on Eroids. That sucks.

wook
04-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Fuck THAT.,Anyone who order steroids from this "Mutagenic" Lab should be fucken worried.LE damn sure Confiscated these two dumbfucks computers & smart phones with buyers personnal info in em.I know i'd be worried.
Nah I don't think so... My bet is these fuck heads got caught up in an Identity Theft investigation because they were selling clients personal info... Besides that, even if it was a run of the mill drug investigation, LE always targets sources and maybe larger re-distributors buying massive quantities, not little guys buying gear for personal use! If I remember correctly, Muta was an international source so these idiots had to be re-distributors who snitched. Fuck them identity stealing mother fuckers anyway...

blaster
04-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Nah I don't think so... My bet is these fuck heads got caught up in an Identity Theft investigation because they were selling clients personal info... Besides that, even if it was a run of the mill drug investigation, LE always targets sources and maybe larger re-distributors buying massive quantities, not little guys buying gear for personal use! If I remember correctly, Muta was an international source so these idiots had to be re-distributors who snitched. Fuck them identity stealing mother fuckers anyway...

These guys were obviously not an intl source. If they were an Intl source, they would not have been stealing people's info to set up Pay Pal accounts. LE says they are not going after the people that ordered however, if you are someone who did order a lot on a regular basis, I would be very afraid. ANYONE who uses their credit cards or pays to a source's Pay Pal account is playing with fire. LE has EVERYONES' info that ordered through these guys. Using Pay Pal is not a smart idea whether you are Intl or domestic. The money trail is too easy to follow.

As far as a "break in" at their storage unit, most likely LE was tipped off and broke in to it themselves. Another no no.....you do not communicate via cell phones! Even if they are the "throw away" phones. Once LE busts you, they will also most likely find your "throw away" phone and find all of your communications. Plus, they had too many people in their business that knew each other and could of course identify each other. Loose lips sink ships!

It amazes me the amount of sources that have no clue on how to operate safely and securely.

blaster
04-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Umm im familiar with this. I am pretty close to this actually, theres been a few busts lately very close to me. These guys are idiots though...175,000 in parents attic??? Its called safety deposit box dumbass lol

LE would have found out about the safe deposit boxes. If you are going to do that, have someone you trust open it under their name. Once you are busted, LE will investigate your financials and will be able to find any bank accounts or safety deposit boxes. Plenty of other ways to hide cash. If you are going to bury it in your yard, make sure you do not bury it in anything that contains metal. Le will go through your yard with metal detectors. They are quite thorough.

blaster
04-06-2014, 04:18 AM
One thing a lot of sources have a problem with is keeping their activities to themselves. Again, loose lips sink ships. I think what happened here is someone got "pinched" for this activity or something unrelated to this business. In order to save their ass, they told LE of this operation. It does state in another news article that LE did have "confidential informant".

TheTrain
04-06-2014, 11:16 AM
One thing a lot of sources have a problem with is keeping their activities to themselves. Again, loose lips sink ships. I think what happened here is someone got "pinched" for this activity or something unrelated to this business. In order to save their ass, they told LE of this operation. It does state in another news article that LE did have "confidential informant".

A box in someones name is a must in my opinion...burying it in the back yard is iffy in my opinion but you can be the only one who knows its there.

I agree with Blaster that Ive seen it in my younger days a kid/21 year old gets a DUI and panics and tells on a friend who sells dope or AAS to get out of it...Crazy how big of cowards people are. Little boys now a days take no responsibility for there own actions...that's not being a man

PAiN
04-08-2014, 11:20 PM
These guys were obviously not an intl source. If they were an Intl source, they would not have been stealing people's info to set up Pay Pal accounts. LE says they are not going after the people that ordered however, if you are someone who did order a lot on a regular basis, I would be very afraid. ANYONE who uses their credit cards or pays to a source's Pay Pal account is playing with fire. LE has EVERYONES' info that ordered through these guys. Using Pay Pal is not a smart idea whether you are Intl or domestic. The money trail is too easy to follow.

As far as a "break in" at their storage unit, most likely LE was tipped off and broke in to it themselves. Another no no.....you do not communicate via cell phones! Even if they are the "throw away" phones. Once LE busts you, they will also most likely find your "throw away" phone and find all of your communications. Plus, they had too many people in their business that knew each other and could of course identify each other. Loose lips sink ships!

It amazes me the amount of sources that have no clue on how to operate safely and securely.

LE would have found out about the safe deposit boxes. If you are going to do that, have someone you trust open it under their name. Once you are busted, LE will investigate your financials and will be able to find any bank accounts or safety deposit boxes. Plenty of other ways to hide cash. If you are going to bury it in your yard, make sure you do not bury it in anything that contains metal. Le will go through your yard with metal detectors. They are quite thorough.

GREAT POSTS BLASTER!

Thanks for chiming in bro!