PDA

View Full Version : Portion sizes before or after

bulking1
04-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Do you guys weigh your chicken fish or steak before being cooked or after and pasta or rice dry or cooked ?

kubes
04-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Do you guys weigh your chicken fish or steak before being cooked or after and pasta or rice dry or cooked ?

It should be weighed before its cooked

bulking1
04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks that's how I do it wanted to make sure .

FrankTheTank
04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I always wondered this about rice! A cup of uncooked rice turns into like 2 cups when it's cooked. So I always measured it after it was cooked.

Cummins
04-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I think you got the rice thing correct Tank. It's measured by the cooked portion on that stuff I believe (i.e. a cup of cooked rice, pasta, or veggies). It's the uncooked meats that need to be measured in the raw.

kubes
04-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I think you got the rice thing correct Tank. It's measured by the cooked portion on that stuff I believe (i.e. a cup of cooked rice, pasta, or veggies). It's the uncooked meats that need to be measured in the raw.

Yes I should have been more clear your meat proteins should be weighed uncooked and past/rice would be after

hunkstrum
04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Yes I should have been more clear your meat proteins should be weighed uncooked and past/rice would be after

I think this is backwards. Meat, particularly chicken, should be weighed after because of the water it holds. Pasta should be measured raw by volume in a measuring cup; the macros are associated with the raw, dehydrated contents. If you weight after cooking, much of the weight would be water.

BigPapa
04-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I weight my meats before they are cooked. And rice/quinoa etc. after they are cooked.

FrankTheTank
04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I think this is backwards. Meat, particularly chicken, should be weighed after because of the water it holds. Pasta should be measured raw by volume in a measuring cup; the macros are associated with the raw, dehydrated contents. If you weight after cooking, much of the weight would be water.

I think rice and pasta give the marcos for cooked and uncooked. I'm not 100% sure on that though.