PDA

View Full Version : Pain for a few days after deadlift

Zaphod
04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
For one to two days after deadlifting I have a dull pain that really smarts when sitting up from laying down, such as getting out of bed, sitting up after benching, doing sit-ups, etc. The pain is at the top of and between my glutes. I have been lifting heavier, quite a bit heavier than previously. I've also been told that my deadlift form is very good by a former lifting competitor.

Any ideas? Should I worry? I've tried googling this and found pretty much nothing that describes the pain I'm having.

kubes
04-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Is it a burning pain or stabbing? What kind of pain is it?

xmuscle
04-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Sounds like ur lower lumbar my b out of wack..try seeing a chiropractor

Zaphod
04-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Is it a burning pain or stabbing? What kind of pain is it?

Just a dull ache that gets sharper when sitting up. Right over the tailbone.

toppjimie
04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Sounds like ur lower lumbar my b out of wack..try seeing a chiropractor

Thats what i think too.you could have a bulging disc in your L-4,L-5.If it continues defitnaly see a doc brother

Khem
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Is it common or just a one time thing? I've done that before, I imagine I lost my form, or twisted, or something.. but I have had exactly what you describe on several occasions. It usually went away in a couple of days.

kubes
04-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Just a dull ache that gets sharper when sitting up. Right over the tailbone.

It could be a muscle pull or disc related. Has it happened before?

Zaphod
04-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Thats what i think too.you could have a bulging disc in your L-4,L-5.If it continues defitnaly see a doc brother

It's lower than the point where the spine meets the pelvis.

Zaphod
04-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Is it common or just a one time thing? I've done that before, I imagine I lost my form, or twisted, or something.. but I have had exactly what you describe on several occasions. It usually went away in a couple of days.

It's been happening after I do a set of more than five or six reps at about 85% of my one rep max.

animal87
04-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Ice, heat and alleve are my best friends after back day.

kubes
04-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Aleve is a very good point. Miracle OTC med

CTFaygo
04-29-2014, 12:32 PM
If it feels like a stabbing pain when pushing your hips through to the bar to lockout then I can tell you from experience you got bulging discs. I'm currently rehabbing three bulging discs, all in my lower back, due to squatting last year. Make sure if you are going to be hammering the three main lifts that you do not neglect your core. I got lazy with my core work and this is what I feel was a main contributor to hurting myself.

You can also try foam rolling out your back after your training sessions to see if it's a muscle soreness or something deeper.

Let us know what works for you in relieving the pain.

Dont wanna be old
04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I swear I posted here .
Foam roller on lower back enbetween adding weights .
I also do crunches on large ball with feet hooked on something so I can lean way back to stretch and then squeeze crunch .
I suggest video taping dead lift from the side .
Make sure tape at 85% and up to 1RM .
Then critique yourself .
The idea is you want hips behind you . Like you where going to twerk or something .
Lowerback locked with hips back .
I'm probally lousy at trying to explain but know watching .
I know pro lifter said you had good form but you can improve by watching yourself .
I know it's hip placement causing discomfort because I feel what you explained .
Good luck
DWBO

Zaphod
05-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Seems to be caused by my chair at work. The middle of the seat pan has a rather solid lump from the attachment hardware. Now I have to figure out how to put in for a new chair.

rocky83
05-02-2014, 03:12 PM
I swear I posted here .
Foam roller on lower back enbetween adding weights .
I also do crunches on large ball with feet hooked on something so I can lean way back to stretch and then squeeze crunch .
I suggest video taping dead lift from the side .
Make sure tape at 85% and up to 1RM .
Then critique yourself .
The idea is you want hips behind you . Like you where going to twerk or something .
Lowerback locked with hips back .
I'm probally lousy at trying to explain but know watching .
I know pro lifter said you had good form but you can improve by watching yourself .
I know it's hip placement causing discomfort because I feel what you explained .
Good luck
DWBO

The foam roller does wonders. When I first saw that I thought it was awkward looking, but after I gave it a go I went right to target and bought myself one.