PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders...

Barbndr
05-15-2014, 06:24 PM
My problem area has always been my shoulders. I was plagued by rotation problems and a general lack of strength. I'm now faced with the issue that it is hard to get a good chest workout and my back workout is lacking due to lack of strength and growth in my shoulders. I'm hoping to hear some ideas from the hood on what I can do to tackle this obstacle. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Clark Kent
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Are you trying to move to much weight? I had this problem early on. I stopped trying to lift heavy on shoulder day and I just blew them out with tons of reps with light weight and hit them from every angle. Once I started doing that it wasn't long before they started to strengthen. If your shoulders are strong it will definitely help with your chest. Im not so sure about your back though? If your shoulders are hurting on back day you may want to look at your form. I always know when my form is off because I will feel it in my delts. Just my 2 cents bro. Kubes might be able to help you a bit more. If he doesn't reply you may want to shoot him a pm he's a helpful bro.

Barbndr
05-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Are you trying to move to much weight? I had this problem early on. I stopped trying to lift heavy on shoulder day and I just blew them out with tons of reps with light weight and hit them from every angle. Once I started doing that it wasn't long before they started to strengthen. If your shoulders are strong it will definitely help with your chest. Im not so sure about your back though? If your shoulders are hurting on back day you may want to look at your form. I always know when my form is off because I will feel it in my delts. Just my 2 cents bro. Kubes might be able to help you a bit more. If he doesn't reply you may want to shoot him a pm he's a helpful bro.

I started off with too much weight but have backed off since. When I blow them out with reps and exercises, it seems to aggravate the actual rotation. After a shoulder day any movement feels almost like bone on bone type pain, lots of popping and grinding.

Clark Kent
05-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Ouch maybe you should run some deca that is good for the joints. Also get on steady glucosamine and chondroitin complex. Takes awhile but it will start to give you some relief. Also you may have some arthritis in there?

animal87
05-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Start doing rotator cuff exercises at least 3x a week, helps me.

toppjimie
05-15-2014, 10:34 PM
sounds like you could have some arthritis in your rotary cuff.take some advil before you workout,that will help you.if it bothering you all the time go see your doctor and get a cortisone shot.

Barbndr
05-16-2014, 12:03 AM
I've done deca and it works but I can't run it forever lol. I've tried advil but I get too much of a tolerance built up. I've been taking fish oils and glucosamine which has helped a bit. I'm just dreading surgery and I'm sure that's what it'll take.

Clark Kent
05-16-2014, 12:41 AM
I've done deca and it works but I can't run it forever lol. I've tried advil but I get too much of a tolerance built up. I've been taking fish oils and glucosamine which has helped a bit. I'm just dreading surgery and I'm sure that's what it'll take.

Hey Barb there is a book in the BOP library forum called curing tight shoulders. Might be worth takin a look at?

Barbndr
05-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Hey Barb there is a book in the BOP library forum called curing tight shoulders. Might be worth takin a look at?

Thanks bro, I'll look into it.

qbfavre
05-16-2014, 03:52 AM

Have you got a MRI done yet? Might be worth it to see if there is any actual rotator cuff damage..that way you can form a treatment plan around it. Shoulders are just too delicate and you really don't want surgery if you don't need it.

Barbndr
05-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Have you got a MRI done yet? Might be worth it to see if there is any actual rotator cuff damage..that way you can form a treatment plan around it. Shoulders are just too delicate and you really don't want surgery if you don't need it.

No I haven't had a MRI done. I guess I'm avoiding the doctor at all costs. When I was younger I broke my collar bone, shoulder blade, and dislocated my shoulder in a motorcycle crash. I just found it awkward that it hasn't given me any trouble until now.

Roughy 7.62
05-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I have a 20 degree tear in my labrum in my right shoulder from pitching back in the day, and delt with rotator cuff issues in left shoulder. Usually the popping sensation is caused by the labrum being freyed or torn. Labrum is what holds the ball in the socket of your shoulder joint, its like a rim/ring of cartlidge, it's very very common for the labrum to be torn or damaged from dislocating the joint. Also inbalanced shoulder stability muscles cause Un - necessary pressure and friction to one side or point of the labrum, it was pretty painful and shoulder workouts sucked.. I did therapy until the popping stopped and posture improved by working only rear delt and traps/lats, it fixed it. The problem was lack of external shoulder flexibility and unbalanced shoulder muscles. The " Sleeper stretch" is the go to stretch for college baseball programs and therapists for external rotation and all around shoulder health these days. It might not fix it completely, but it will definitely leave you with a far healthier and less painful shoulder, and prevent future and further shoulder injury. Just my 2 cents, take It for what it's worth.

Barbndr
05-16-2014, 01:34 PM
I have a 20 degree tear in my labrum in my right shoulder from pitching back in the day, and delt with rotator cuff issues in left shoulder. Usually the popping sensation is caused by the labrum being freyed or torn. Labrum is what holds the ball in the socket of your shoulder joint, its like a rim/ring of cartlidge, it's very very common for the labrum to be torn or damaged from dislocating the joint. Also inbalanced shoulder stability muscles cause Un - necessary pressure and friction to one side or point of the labrum, it was pretty painful and shoulder workouts sucked.. I did therapy until the popping stopped and posture improved by working only rear delt and traps/lats, it fixed it. The problem was lack of external shoulder flexibility and unbalanced shoulder muscles. The " Sleeper stretch" is the go to stretch for college baseball programs and therapists for external rotation and all around shoulder health these days. It might not fix it completely, but it will definitely leave you with a far healthier and less painful shoulder, and prevent future and further shoulder injury. Just my 2 cents, take It for what it's worth.

That's really helpful bro. I'll try that stretch for a while and I'll also work on those rear delt, lat, trap areas

Roughy 7.62
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I hope it fixes the problem man its saved me from two surgeries, if you can't find example of the sleeper stretch I'll find you a link, good luck!!

Barbndr
05-16-2014, 09:03 PM
I hope it fixes the problem man its saved me from two surgeries, if you can't find example of the sleeper stretch I'll find you a link, good luck!!

Did a sleeper stretch today before my workout. Must say it sure seemed to help. Maybe it was just my head but it didn't seem like it hurt as bad.

Roughy 7.62
05-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Alright great, whether it's placebo or not hahaha. The idea is to see how close you can get your hand/arm to the ground, they recommend within 3 inches. 5 min of stretching it before, 5 after. Goodluck!