PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian jiu jitsu

bdad
05-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Just curious if anyone does this?? I have practiced a few times with a friend of mine and it really showed me how NOT flexiable I am. I think it would be a great release plus another form of great cardio.

kubes
05-24-2014, 02:03 PM
if i was younger i would be all over it and mma in general. Wish i was younger :(

bdad
05-24-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm 34 my wife and daughter are also interested in trying it, so I'm stoked. I'm sure they will exposed my weight lifting injuries shoulder, elbow, and knee but I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.

kubes
05-24-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm 34 my wife and daughter are also interested in trying it, so I'm stoked. I'm sure they will exposed my weight lifting injuries shoulder, elbow, and knee but I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.

Do you watch mma?

bdad
05-24-2014, 02:08 PM
The gym I'm joining combines three types of training BJJ, Mai Thai kickboxing, and Grappling.

kubes
05-24-2014, 02:10 PM
The gym I'm joining combines three types of training BJJ, Mai Thai kickboxing, and Grappling.

Man that would be great!

bdad
05-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Do you watch mma?

Sometimes we watch very little TV of anykind in my house.

kubes
05-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Sometimes we watch very little TV of anykind in my house.

Probably healthier to be away from TV anyway :)

animal87
05-24-2014, 02:13 PM
I have a good friend and old lifting partner does it alot. I know some basic stuff. I'm too broken up to do it well, my knees and arm would get hurt too easy.

Everybody should know a little ground game in case you ever need it. A little guy thats very good can be real effective with it, one of the guys we spared with was around 160-170 and he could have tapped me out if not for the just shear strength difference. I could stand up with him getting me in a hold and he would have to break it.

The preacher at me church used to fight and was semi-pro trying to get in the ufc and got in a wreck and broke his back as well.

bdad
05-24-2014, 02:15 PM
The only down fall I see is the gym is located aproximately 35-40 miles one way from my house, I live in the sticks as I prefer. But then again since the whole family is onboard I dont see this being an issue.

kubes
05-24-2014, 02:17 PM
The only down fall I see is the gym is located aproximately 35-40 miles one way from my house, I live in the sticks as I prefer. But then again since the whole family is onboard I dont see this being an issue.

If the whole family is on board that sounds pretty sweet brother

Barbndr
05-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Just curious if anyone does this?? I have practiced a few times with a friend of mine and it really showed me how NOT flexiable I am. I think it would be a great release plus another form of great cardio.

It really depends on what your looking for. I started off with traditional which utilizes the gee. Definitely took a lot more hand and forearm strength. Modern day bjj is a blast but get ready for your joints to swell and hurt. Just my experience. My experience is limited, I'm not a striker and I'm much more comfortable on my back so some sort of grappling has always been better for me. I've done 2 fights in competition. The first, I was knocked out by a high kick in 7 seconds. The second I submitted my opponent in 32 seconds. Definitely more of a ground guy.

animal87
05-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I've been hit in the head so many times. I don't really notice it any more when I do get to spar lol.

bdad
05-24-2014, 02:43 PM
It really depends on what your looking for. I started off with traditional which utilizes the gee. Definitely took a lot more hand and forearm strength. Modern day bjj is a blast but get ready for your joints to swell and hurt. Just my experience. My experience is limited, I'm not a striker and I'm much more comfortable on my back so some sort of grappling has always been better for me. I've done 2 fights in competition. The first, I was knocked out by a high kick in 7 seconds. The second I submitted my opponent in 32 seconds. Definitely more of a ground guy.

Yeah my buddy said it really sucks being choked with your own clothing, LOL. Do you feel like weight lifting and MMA together, will it be possible to make progess in both types of training??

Herc
05-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Brother, I'm 34 as well and I just know I would fuck myself up doing it. Hell, I fuck myself up just weight lifting! Good luck and be careful with those joints/tendons...

Barbndr
05-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Yeah my buddy said it really sucks being choked with your own clothing, LOL. Do you feel like weight lifting and MMA together, will it be possible to make progess in both types of training??

I feel that the 2 go hand in hand. I want to be stronger for grappling so strength training is a must. As I get stronger I get more confident. They help me stay motivated and definitely compliment each other.

Barbndr
05-24-2014, 04:01 PM

My rolling sessions have been cut down lately. I also play semi pro football so I'm busy wwith that right now. It's just a fun way to feel great and push yourself

swift1
05-25-2014, 10:13 PM
I do kajukembo which is karate jujitsu and kembo all in one. it is good workout really good cardio.

studmuffin
05-25-2014, 10:53 PM
You guys are GTG at 34 years old,still young and have plenty left in you.I am sure you could kick as and take names. On the other hand I am 50 years old and you should see me trying to get up after doing sit-ups. LOL not that bad really.

Arkhampatient
06-08-2014, 03:51 AM
38yrs old, blue belt in BJJ. Been training in it for a little over 2 1/2 yrs. I also do strength/conditioning wrk. BJJ is 1 of the greatest activities I ever did. If you do gi, you grip and joints will hurt. If you do nogi, you will test your cardio limits like no other activity.

JudoGene
06-08-2014, 04:13 AM
Word, purple belt here... It becomes a way of life. I have old college sports injuries that have been keeping me down lately, so now all I can do is day dream while driving... I never said I was the smartest. It is a total humbling experience and keeps everyone's egos in check. Since I have started it I am now a believer in don't trust anyone who hasn't been punched.

Barbndr
06-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Word, purple belt here... It becomes a way of life. I have old college sports injuries that have been keeping me down lately, so now all I can do is day dream while driving... I never said I was the smartest. It is a total humbling experience and keeps everyone's egos in check. Since I have started it I am now a believer in don't trust anyone who hasn't been punched.

^^^words to live by brother! It seems like everyone I've ever met who is a true grappler/roller has a strong sense of self and and even stronger sense of humility.

Barbndr
06-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Humility-a conscious awareness of ones own short comings. Best thing I've ever learned :-)

Arkhampatient
06-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Nothing helps keeping the ego in check like knowing there are some unassuming assassins out there.

bdad
06-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Went to my first class enjoyed it, my daughter starts little dragons tonights!! Also I start Hapkido tonight/