PDA

View Full Version : Cop disciplined for buying steroids from another officer

PAiN
06-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Cop disciplined for buying steroids from another officer

An RCMP corporal who bought steroids from a junior officer during his time here has forfeited eight days’ pay in addition to being reprimanded.

Corporal Jason De Coene, who is no longer in Terrace, engaged in “disgraceful or disorderly acts or conduct that could bring discredit” to the RCMP, a disciplinary decision released last week indicated.

Although De Coene did not take what he assumed were steroids, bought in liquid form once for injection and in pill form a second time, a senior officer on the disciplinary panel said he should have known better.

“I find that a reasonable person with knowledge of all the relevant circumstances, including the realities of policing in general and those of the RCMP in particular, would be of the opinion that facilitating the commission of the criminal offence of trafficking in a controlled substance by purchasing steroids from a fellow police officer and failing to report that police officer’s illegal activities is disgraceful and sufficiently related to the employment situation so as to warrant discipline,” wrote inspector Bernard Tremblay.
Tremblay was one of three senior RCMP officers to sit on the disciplinary panel.
The purchases took place in late 2010 and again in the middle of 2012.

While the De Coene decision indicated he purchased the steroids “for no duty reason” from a constable who frequented a gym De Coene also did, the junior officer, referred to as “Constable A” was not named.

The decision does note that the allegations against two other members were severed from the De Coene allegation.
An agreed statement of facts indicated De Coene admitted the allegation in the statement and at the disciplinary hearing.
He “regularly worked out, including weight training, at a gym in Terrace, B.C., where other members of the Terrace Detachment also exercised, including Constable A,” read the report.

“[De Coene] became aware that others at the gym including Constable A were using steroids as part of their fitness regime and he inquired of Constable A and others about the potential benefits of using steroids in conjunction with an exercise program, and about how to obtain some for himself.”

The report added that on two separate occasions several months apart, De Coene went to Constable A’s home and received “what he believed to be anabolic steroids which he intended to use with a view to improving his physical fitness and lean body mass. He did not, however, consume any of the substances he obtained from Constable A.”

In the first instance, he received a liquid which Constable A said was to be injected into a muscle weekly, said the statement. De Coene made more inquiries and discussed the matter with his wife and did not use any of it, continued the report.

The second time he “purchased and received from Constable A a number of pills containing what he believed was a type of anabolic steroid generically known as ‘Winstrol,’” but talked to his wife and decided not to use them and disposed of them, said the report.

It added that he paid about $80 to $120 in cash for the substances.

De Coene was aware that the substances he obtained were supposedly anabolic steroids that are listed under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and “acknowledges that he failed to take any steps to discourage or report Constable A’s conduct in procuring and selling him the substances in question,” continued the report.

The report noted that consumption and possession of steroids is not illegal in Canada but trafficking in those substances is an offence.

“By purchasing steroids from another police officer, [De Coene] was a willing participant in what he knew or should have known was an offence under the CDSA and did nothing to stop it,” said Tremblay in his written decision.

De Coene’s hearing took place Aug. 30, 2013 and the panel rendered its decision that day. But it was not released until late last month after it was first put into writing and then served on De Coene and others, allowing them to review it before being distributed.

enrod
06-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Eight days without pay? What a stiff penalty.

Last I checked everyone else gets locked up. Hypocritical assholes

Dont wanna be old
06-07-2014, 03:41 PM
If you have FOP on your plate then your above the law .

bigsam
06-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Eight days without pay? What a stiff penalty.

Last I checked everyone else gets locked up. Hypocritical assholes

Yea wtf? Fucking hypocrites.

wook
06-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Sounds to me like he is a snitch! I bet the other poor dude gets hammered!

studmuffin
06-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Got off way to easy.

huge1042
03-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Hypocrite

Kvasir
03-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Seems like there's much more going on with other defendants not mentioned in the article. It also said that the substance we're not illegal to possess in Canada so that was likely a mitigating circumstance.

simplydumb
03-04-2016, 10:09 PM
So the Uncle z couple got 12 years and this dude gets suspended from his job? I know one was a larger crime, but the varying degree of crime does not fit the varying time of punishment. I should have been a cop....

Loose Cannon
03-04-2016, 10:12 PM
incredible

quadzilla
03-06-2016, 01:35 AM
disgrace the way law system works these days!

Ironworker1
03-06-2016, 01:47 AM
I smell rat!! his wife made him snitch...LOL
Snitches end up in ditches!!!!!!