PDA

View Full Version : Got Shoulder Problems? Never Do These Exercises

PAiN
06-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Got Shoulder Problems? Never Do These Exercises

If you perform an exercise and your shoulder starts hurting, stop the exercise immediately and see a doctor. With 17 different muscles, the shoulder is extremely complex. Even if the exercise doesn’t seem like it should be causing pain in a certain spot, the shoulder is so intricate that the exercise could very well be doing more harm than good.

If you’re experiencing shoulder pain, never do the following three exercises. Stay safe by following the recommended alternatives.

Bench Dip

Celebrity trainers like to suggest the Bench Dip as a killer exercise to "tone up" the triceps. First, you should understand that you’ll start seeing definition in your arms by losing fat, not by doing Bench Dips. Second, a healthy shoulder is engineered to handle around 50 to 60 degrees of extension. Bench Dips force an extreme range of motion that can wreak havoc on shoulders that aren’t already at 100 percent.

Alternative: Stretch your latissimus dorsi. Find a door handle or doorway that's tall enough and hold the stretch for a minimum of 2-3 minutes. No more old-school 30-second stretches—they're for beginners. The longer you hold a stretch, the greater the influence you will exert on the tight soft tissue surrounding the restricted joint.

Incline Bench Press

The AC (Acromioclavicular) joint seems to get irritated during this exercise. Compared to the regular Bench Press, Inclines also force the humerus near maximal extension.

Alternative: Push-Ups. Many athletes require the scapula to move, which doesn’t happen in the typical Bench Press. Doing Push-Ups will re-educate your scapula on proper movement patterns. Be sure to touch your chest to the ground, then return to full extension, locking out your elbows. Keep your core and glutes tight throughout the entire movement.

Lateral Raises

Performed improperly, Lateral Raises (Weighted Jumping Jacks) can be one of the worst exercises for your shoulder. When youraise your arms past 80 degrees, you start crushing your rotator cuff muscles in the tiny subacromial spaces of your shoulders. After numerous repetitions, you create tiny bone spurs that tear the rotator cuff muscle. Eventually, you may not be able to lift your arm above your shoulder and could require surgery.

Alternative: Don't lift weight above the middle of your chest. When you lift to your side, don’t go above 20 degrees below parallel.

turkeyjerky23
08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
good advice - I have been having shoulder issues even though I'm fairly careful about them. I see these young guys doing shoulder movements waaaay out of range and it hurts just to watch!

Clark Kent
08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Lateral Raises are a killer! They can end a session quickly!

Largerthannormal
08-20-2014, 08:35 PM
I have a labrum tear and cant do flat even 135 but i can hit incline all day long over 3 plates, I cant explain it. I now stay away from flat and dips. :(

basically just stick to what does not hurt is what i come of it.

kubes
08-20-2014, 08:43 PM
I have a labrum tear and cant do flat even 135 but i can hit incline all day long over 3 plates, I cant explain it. I now stay away from flat and dips. :(

basically just stick to what does not hurt is what i come of it.

How about flat dumbbells?

Largerthannormal
08-21-2014, 07:33 PM
i can get away with those, if i tuck my elbows in a hair but still nothing crazy, i keep her light. 100s are about the biggest ill go.. Ill just rep stuff out now rather than load on the weight. most the time i can get a good pump with even 90s and not need to go higher. or even if i put them bench up 1 notch to incline it up about 2-3" from being flat helps

kubes
08-21-2014, 07:39 PM
i can get away with those, if i tuck my elbows in a hair but still nothing crazy, i keep her light. 100s are about the biggest ill go.. Ill just rep stuff out now rather than load on the weight. most the time i can get a good pump with even 90s and not need to go higher. or even if i put them bench up 1 notch to incline it up about 2-3" from being flat helps

Yes its all about just tearing muscle tissue honestly the amount of weight you move doesn't matter much we just have to get better at tearing the tissue

Largerthannormal
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Exactly, as we get older we learn to lift smarter!

Yes its all about just tearing muscle tissue honestly the amount of weight you move doesn't matter much we just have to get better at tearing the tissue

kubes
08-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Exactly, as we get older we learn to lift smarter!

Yes I gave up flat bench a long time ago. There are machine and other lift that hit the muscle just as well with less risk

Largerthannormal
08-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Im right there with ya bro!

Yes I gave up flat bench a long time ago. There are machine and other lift that hit the muscle just as well with less risk

xmuscle
08-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Hammer strength machine have helped me alot over the years..had a full shoulder replacement 8 months ago..

kubes
08-24-2014, 03:23 AM
Hammer strength machine have helped me alot over the years..had a full shoulder replacement 8 months ago..

I swear by the hammer strength machines brother. You can lift real heavy and do not have to risk injury

fpvboss335
08-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Fantastic read pain
My best mate has a shoulder problem
I copied and pasted what you wrote
I sent it to him
He loved it
Fantastic

Largerthannormal
08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
How far along is your recovery brother, in terms of percentage to pre injury?

xmuscle
08-27-2014, 02:23 AM
How far along is your recovery brother, in terms of percentage to pre injury?

Had surgery dec 19..its about 85% healed. .lifting lighter doin super sets, dropsets and giant sets and still making good gains..

Largerthannormal
08-27-2014, 02:24 AM
Nice man! That's not bad at all, Congrats and good luck to getting closer to 100%