PDA

View Full Version : Incline versus flat bench

unforgiven
10-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Ok, guys I may have asked before. You guys remember I hurt my shoulder last year and it's still remaking havok on me. I've discovered though that inclines aren't as uncomfortable as flats. I know I'm using a considerable amount of less weight but it still seems strange to me. I've started the STK mass workout so it does get hammered but like I said not as uncomfortable as flat.

PAiN
10-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Incline is where its at bro. Helps the shoulders out plus it develops my overall chest better than flat.

kubes
10-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Incline is where its at bro. Helps the shoulders out plus it develops my overall chest better than flat.

I agree that incline really help develop the chest and shoulders better

enrod
10-06-2014, 04:59 PM
I'd recommend it. I don't flat BB bench at all anymore and have a lot less shoulder related injuries.

toppjimie
10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
I just read a interesting article about the bio-mechanics involved with certain exercises.it explained how to get the best results by performing the lifts with a motion best suited to that bodypart.as for chest.this author stated that the Decline bench press,which took me by surprise,was the best for chest development.It triggers more muscle fibers.try it if you have a decline bench

Largerthannormal
10-06-2014, 05:36 PM
I have a torn labrum and i can not touch 135 on flat, I was competing at 181 raw open and touching close to 400 on flat, now I never will touch it again!

Incline is where its at, I cant still break into the 300s with minimal pain. Even if i have surgery or the pain goes away I still will not touch flat again.

studmuffin
10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Flat bench kills my shoulder so I do not do it.I do like inclines,I just have to warm my shoulder before I lift.

Hatefactory
10-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Doing a false grip on flat bench seems to have alleviated some of my shoulder pain because i can angle my elbows in. It also helps me contract my pecs better

enrod
10-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I just read a interesting article about the bio-mechanics involved with certain exercises.it explained how to get the best results by performing the lifts with a motion best suited to that bodypart.as for chest.this author stated that the Deline bench press,which took me by surprise,was the best for chest development.It triggers more muscle fibers.try it if you have a decline bench

Decline, really? I feel it hits the outter, say fly area harder than flat or incline but for overall development, I rarely see bodybuilders using the decline bench. Interesting

animal87
10-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Neutral grip with dumbells or hammer bench's helps take stress off the shoulder too. Most people do incline too high and hit their front delt more than their chest, I set the bench lower than 45 degrees for incline.

toppjimie
10-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Decline, really? I feel it hits the outter, say fly area harder than flat or incline but for overall development, I rarely see bodybuilders using the decline bench. Interesting

I thought so also till I read this article.This guy named Doug Brignole,wrote a book called " The Physics of Fitness".The flat bench doesn't pin point the stenal pectoral fibers because of its insufficient range of motion,Whereas the Decline Does,with its angle and range of motion hits those same pectoral fibers 80% more and with less stress on the Delts.I read the article in Iron Man Magazine

MR14
10-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Neutral grip with dumbells or hammer bench's helps take stress off the shoulder too. Most people do incline too high and hit their front delt more than their chest, I set the bench lower than 45 degrees for incline.

truth here. i use a low angle for incline and get great results.

unforgiven
10-07-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm getting hooked in em. It's kind of humbling after benching heavy for so long. Now, if I can solve the squaring issue. My left arm still can't get behind me enough without slot of pain. I've been drooling for squats lately.

tmac82.tm
10-09-2014, 11:56 PM
I always get a crazy pump from decline press

unforgiven
10-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Thanx for all the responses guys!!!!

spoolin
10-25-2014, 04:33 PM
My buddy has been having some front delt issues and soreness, so on chest day I had him bring his elbows slightly in towards his waste (just a bit instead of holding the elbows inline with the shoulders) and it has aleviated his issue and he is getting better chest pumps. We only do incline and flat dumbell presses and pretty much avoid the straight bar.

Hatefactory
10-25-2014, 04:48 PM
My buddy has been having some front delt issues and soreness, so on chest day I had him bring his elbows slightly in towards his waste (just a bit instead of holding the elbows inline with the shoulders) and it has aleviated his issue and he is getting better chest pumps. We only do incline and flat dumbell presses and pretty much avoid the straight bar.

I know a few powerlifters who do the same thing. They also use a false grip on barbell bench so they can tuck their elbows slightly in to alleviate pressure on the shoulder joints

enrod
10-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Tucking the elbows in will put more emphasis on the tris and take some off the chest. Keep that in mind

spoolin
10-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Tucking the elbows in will put more emphasis on the tris and take some off the chest. Keep that in mind

Yeah, I realize that and why I told him to only bring them in a couple degree's from inline with the shoulders. He maybe moved his elbows in about an inch or so and just that much seems to have helped alleviate his front delt hurting issue.

HebenSchwere
10-26-2014, 02:57 AM
I've managed to dislocate both my shoulders while lifting. Once while performing incline dumbell press, one while performing dumbell shoulder press. I can tell you that I can flat barbel bench or incline barbel bench for months at a time just fine, then one day for no reason, it's out. I have to switch to dumbells on both flat and incline bench. No rational, just BANG, and it happens. I've learned to listen to what my body is telling me and just make the switch. Don't argue with it, or try to figure it out, just go with it. After a few months of dumbells, I'll have to switch back to barbell because I can't lift dumbells without pain. Flexibility in technique and method it key to surviving in this game long term.

danabol
11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I love incline 30-45 degree angle. But fot to mix things up and do decline. Db incline flys developed my upper chest the best and are my fav chest exercise

captainshred
09-23-2015, 10:11 AM
What's flat bench? :-D

Docmdnite
09-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Yeah I have always been more of an incline guy. I also try to work decline in somehow if it's feasible at whatever gym I'm at. I rarely do flat anything anymore. Maybe flies just for a change.

Kzoo Detector
09-23-2015, 08:32 PM
I never flat bench anymore. I like to do incline presses followed by decline presses and then I'll finish off by doing flat flyes or sometimes incline flyes. I'll occasionally do Hammer Strength seated bench presses and machine flyes to switch things up, but never flat bench presses. I also have very long arms, which likely benefits me a great deal while doing the decline presses because I still get a good range of motion in the exercise.

Mfire
09-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Doing a false grip on flat bench seems to have alleviated some of my shoulder pain because i can angle my elbows in. It also helps me contract my pecs better
Dumb question, what's a false grip?

R23
09-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Dumb question, what's a false grip?
Sometimes called thumbless or thumbs over grip. Not wrapping thumbs around the bar

Docmdnite
09-23-2015, 11:52 PM
That's the grip I use almost exclusively on a straight bar exercise

ironman53
10-31-2015, 09:01 AM
id try using dumbells instead of a bar for amonth or 2,,,add rubber bands and add excersises,fro stretching,,,and on inclines keeping close to chin as possible,,,this helps from using as much shoulder,,,

pekinpitman
02-20-2016, 06:49 PM
thumbless grip "suicide grip used to be my thing" I switched to gripping it real hard actually trying to snap the bar like a spaghetti noodle fresh out of the box. It helped me to stay tighter throughout my whole body.

pekinpitman
02-20-2016, 06:51 PM
I do prefer incline over flat bench for overall chest development. i like a 35-40 degrees angle and like to touch the bar as high as i can toward the top of my chest. Almost to the throat.

justlikemusic
02-23-2016, 03:44 PM
I have bad shoulders so incline seems to be much easier on them.

murph
02-27-2016, 03:22 PM
I have a bad shoulder and flats kill me these days barbell hurts more than dumbells, not sure why

Pudin Head
02-28-2016, 03:03 AM
Yeah I can't do flat bench any more. Incline and decline are the only way to go for me. It's amazing that a slight change in angle makes all the difference. I get bursitis in my shoulders caused by too much rough sport in my younger days. I've had one shoulder operated on last year and its come good now. Will get the other one done soon, but I don't think that I will ever go back to flat bench.

Elvia1023
03-05-2016, 03:36 AM
Generally incline bench is safer than flat especially for past shoulder injuries. Flat bench has probably injured more shoulders than any other exercise. But form is paramount as well as being senisble with the weight used. Loads of guys bench the same way no matter the incline of the bench. Meaning the plane of movement is the same so I try to change things up. I do flat, incline and decline presses rotating them through the week. I usually use a suicide grip as I am more comfortable like that. Hammer grip db presses are also easier on the shoulder as mentioned above. Chest dips are an incredible exercise for the chest.

Obviously heavy and progressive training is ideal for all bodyparts and chest is no different. But for me personally I have had much better results utilizing a mix of heavy bench with machines using lighter weight and really squeezing on every rep. Many hammer strength chest machines are ideal for this. I naturally have a weak chest and poor muscle mind connection but I found by utilizing certain machines has made a massive difference. Go heavy but really focus on form and squeezing the chest on every rep and really making it burn. Ben Pakulski and Charles Glass have some great videos on you tube regarding form and technique.

twisted
03-08-2016, 01:09 AM
I have bad shoulders so incline seems to be much easier on them.

I have a bad shoulder and flats kill me these days barbell hurts more than dumbells, not sure why

Its a mystery haha ....I have shoulder also and flat bench kinks it and flares up the pain .....incline benching is much easier and doesnt hurt ;)

deeznuts
03-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Flat bench if training for strength, ive always done flat but now i'm getting some decent size ive noticed my upper chest is lagging a bit..

so i added incline bench every second week instead of flat, and all my accesory movements(flies etc) i now do incline and my chest is looking alot better and fuller.

physiq
03-12-2016, 12:01 AM
incline is slightly more deltoid then flat.
If it causes a pain free shoulder then go with that.

Also note the muscle fibers don't change a whole deal between flat and incline.

Inmate
03-16-2016, 09:36 AM
cant flat bench anymore, incline is def more comforatble nowdays. agree with physiq above, go with what the body is telling you