PDA

View Full Version : gear stuck in filter

homework26
10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Assuming you have mixed your gear, bb, ba, heated and looks dissolved would it be possibly / probable to lose some of the actual gear in the filter if you filter quickly?

Would it be wiser to dissolve the gear in the bb, ba then filter it, and then filter your gso into it?

Does bb, ba hurt filters?

HebenSchwere
11-02-2014, 01:09 AM
bb or ba will not hurt the filter. Heat your oil, add it to your per-measured gear, add ba and bb and stir until dissolved. Then filter. After you've filtered everything, unattach the syringe from the filter and draw up some air into your syringe, reattach the filter and push the gear remaining in the filter on through. NEVER pull back with filter attached. One filter should process ~ 100mL.

Mungus
11-02-2014, 03:05 AM
Certain solutions can have undesirable effects on various membrane materials. I had asked the same question. After some research the following seems to be fairly typical of most manufacturers recommendations:
https://static.fishersci.com/cmsassets/downloads/segment/Scientific/pdf/chromatography/syringe_filter_membrane_selection.pdf
http://www.tecnofrom.com/moduloProductos/noti_53/file.pdf
While nylon and PTFE membranes seem to be most compatible with both BA and BB, my assumption is that they are referring to filtering these solutions purely, not diluted as is required. In this case I don't believe that membrane choice is as critical, however nylon filters are readily available, (PTFE seems a little less common), so for peace of mind make the best choice, especially if filtering large amounts of solution.
The volume lost in a filter, the 'hold-up volume' is minimal. Whatman specify the following for their GDX filters: 13mm filter full housing -0.5ml, after purge 50ul (.05ml); 25mm filter full housing -1.0ml, after purge 250ul (.25ml). Obviously the smaller the filter the smaller the hold-up.

THE 67
12-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I USE A FULL GLASS FILTRATION SYSTEM WITH 47 MM PTFE MEMBRANE FILTERS AND I CAN FILTER ALMOST 1000ML WITH ONE MEMBRANE... BUT THIS CANNOT BE ACCOMPLISH WITH THE SYRINGE FILTERS... PLEASE NOTE THT IF UR OIL HAPPENS TO CLOG WHILE USING A FULL FILTRATION SYSTEM HORMONE CAN BE LOST WITH THE COOLING TO FAST OF FILTERED BREW... THIS IS WHEN THE MEMBRANE STARTS TO CLOG...

THIS IS WHY ITS IMPORTANT TO BRING UR BREW UP TO 100C FOR ABOUT 5 MIN SO THT THE FILTRATION CAN BE FILTERED WITH EASE... THIS IS IF UR DOING LARGE ML BREWS..

JTH
10-05-2018, 02:42 AM
I know this thread is rather old (I’ve been doing a lot of research), but it would make sense to have a heating blanket for the funnel to keep the oil warm (think of a nitrous bottle blanket heater). I may need to invent that. Haha