PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some bench press accessory lifts

pin1up
11-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Hello i recently just tried to beat an old pr of 405lbs raw with the bench press. I did about a 9 week solid bench program and attempted 410 and was able to get it off my chest so fast and then i just hit a wall at about 7-8 inches above my chest. Its always been my weak point and i just been relying on my bottom strength to get me through it, and i finally think it caught up to me. I have been competitively powerlifting for about 8 years and I am open to any ideas/favorite accessory lifts hitting that weak spot that you guys like to do. I have a fairly middle grip i put the first ring about in between the crack of my pinky and ring finger. The only thing i cant do is pin presses because for some reason my tendons just cant handle it.

Dont wanna be old
11-05-2014, 01:07 AM
By Pin Presses do you mean dead presses ?
Lay on the ground in a powerrack . Take 50% of 1RM and do presses .
It works on top end where most struggle .
I really don't like placing boards on my chest .
I like to reset a couple times and don't have a partner .

If your not able to do dead presses then I suggest powerbands .
I think there better than chains .
Chains do look hella cool and do help top end .
Good luck brother
If you believe , you can !
DWBO

animal87
11-05-2014, 01:57 AM
At the top would be triceps mainly right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I used to like Sheiko rountines when I was power lifting.

pin1up
11-05-2014, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the reply and yea i meant dead presses my apologies. I'll definitely add those into the program i'm going to make for getting through this weak spot, I really appreciate it. I just have tried so many things that I forgotten some good effective exercises.

pin1up
11-05-2014, 02:15 AM
@animal87 Yea i tend to think its mostly triceps but more shoulders the wider your grip atleast what I think haha. I was looking at shieko but i heard the cookie cutter templates they have for it would just waste your time because there is so much customizing and effort he puts into to each workout for different individuals. Not saying it wouldnt be effective i just believe your better off doing your own thing.

animal87
11-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Oh yea of course. I had to play around and get it to work for me.

animal87
11-05-2014, 02:24 AM
Tuck your arms into your side instead of flaring them out to the side like a BB'er bench will take your shoulders out it and make your tri's have to work more.

skyrim
11-05-2014, 02:52 PM
So not being a power lifter but with a 405 max within the last year, I was helped by doing slow negative-centric reps. it's boring but I found it to be effective for strength gains and to give my joints a rest. Basically each rep is 7 seconds. Six seconds negative and one second positive for seven to ten reps. It equals alot of tension over time and the one second positive helps with the ballistic portion. I worked somewhere around the 225lb range. I did that for three weeks and it worked for me. Good luck with it brother

pin1up
11-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Yea that is actually something i haven't tried before! I will definitely give it a go sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the reply!

Largerthannormal
11-07-2014, 07:42 PM
i used to compete for a long time. Alot of my success came from " lock outs" pick different levels off the safety bars and just dead press it off them. top half.. mid section where ever you like. Also helps with getting past the weight shock when you get into those super heavy sets.

i do the same with my squats. practicing from in the hole or at the full bottom.

skyrim
11-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Another thing that my work is static holds. For instance, on a bench press, grab a weight that is heavier than your max. Unrack it and hold it for 20 to 30 seconds and then rerack it. that may help as well.

pin1up
11-10-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I never tried static holds either ill try all this stuff out into a new lil program and let ya know if my max goes up! probably be trying for a new max in 6-8 weeks!

skyrim
11-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. I never tried static holds either ill try all this stuff out into a new lil program and let ya know if my max goes up! probably be trying for a new max in 6-8 weeks!

Good luck brother. I'm sure you can do it!

TEEG
11-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Riding along to see how you do bro interested to see what works for you.
go get that shit man

bigtruckguy
11-16-2014, 04:33 PM
I always use a board on my chest to stop my rep right where I had a sticking point and focus on that part of my lift... I also try to tuck my elbows in real close to my side like Animal said...

cmeliftheavy
11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with "LargerthenLife" advise:
lock outs" pick different levels off the safety bars and just dead press it off them. top half.. mid section

pin1up
11-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Yea ill be retrying it in 9 weeks! I'll try to get a video of it and link it up haha