PDA

View Full Version : Bring the Heat

zenstyle
12-17-2014, 05:16 AM
I hope this isn't a stupid question. But a few lab guys say they have shortened the cooking process by using a microwave in making their oils before the filtering process. Does that work well? Can anyone shed some light on this? In theory it sounds good, but don't know the logistics. Is it real or bunk?

deathstar
12-17-2014, 07:29 AM
I've never heard of that before. . I would like to hear about that

deathstar
12-17-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't see why a microwave would be used... It's already warm if you set it a a pot with warm - hot water

Dont wanna be old
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
I hope this isn't a stupid question. But a few lab guys say they have shortened the cooking process by using a microwave in making their oils before the filtering process. Does that work well? Can anyone shed some light on this? In theory it sounds good, but don't know the logistics. Is it real or bunk?
I doubt anyone would say this .
You can't control temp in a microwave and powders have different melting points .

zenstyle
12-17-2014, 04:06 PM
I doubt anyone would say this .
You can't control temp in a microwave and powders have different melting points .

That's what I'm thinking DWBO....it sounds cool, but uncontrolled in actual practice. Hot globs of oil sounds dangerous. How would you consistently stir it or swirl it around? Didn't want to dismiss this until i got feed back from experienced brewers. If there is a way that it's done that I don't know about..please post. Curious!!

Thirsty
12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I was in many, many chem labs in college, and cannot recall ever heating anything but leftover pizza with a microwave. Just as with anything, if it's worth doing, take the time, and do it right. I think the potential for disaster far outweighs the few moments of time savings.

TheTrain
12-17-2014, 04:44 PM
You can't control temp in microwave that's a bad idea as DWBO said.

A beaker in a pot of water is easiest way to get even heat and not "kill" horomone in the process. Hot plates and baking are for people who have quite a bit experience brewing IMO

zenstyle
12-17-2014, 05:53 PM
You can't control temp in microwave that's a bad idea as DWBO said.

A beaker in a pot of water is easiest way to get even heat and not "kill" horomone in the process. Hot plates and baking are for people who have quite a bit experience brewing IMO

Question answered to my satisfaction! Thank you guys!!
Personally I'd rather stick to buying hormones from sponsors...cooking is one thing I don't have a desire to do at this point in time.

Zen

1tuffcookie
05-14-2015, 06:35 PM
i just use a microwave to steilize my glassware

4everstrong
05-15-2015, 12:21 AM
No you do not. It is already Hot from cooking it in the Pot. No need to warm it up even more? I have to let it sit for about 15 mins before i even start the filtering process. You want it warm to touch. If it is to hot it when burn the filter.. When it is warm it is easier to filter.

2stones
06-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Control and patience is what I've learned