PDA

View Full Version : The Low-Down On Security

zenstyle
12-17-2014, 06:46 AM
I hope this post is somewhat beneficial to all, as it blends a little philosophy in with the subject of security and technology. In any case, I think its just a healthy thing to talk about as people don't usually like to talk about vulnerability.
If you think about it, I mean really think about it, security is not really an actual entity as is perceived by the majority. Its really nothing more than a feeling. Everyone likes to have a sense of security, whether its in their job or their family, maybe their finances or government, even their home security system. Viewing it as an entity in itself is mere illusion.
e.g. There might be an unexpected shooting in your area, it may or may not be handled in the best way and a riot breaks out with full out looting...there goes your family business you worked hard for for the last 20 years and your insurance won't cover it all; your sense of security was compromised by something unexpected.
It's a fact that life sometimes throws us curves...bad luck happens to everyone a good portion of the time...life has inherent risk. Humans are imperfect therefore the things we create (e.g. technology) are imperfect. We are vulnerable as humans and we guard our feelings the best way we can, unfortunately, we sometimes get hurt...i don't know many people that like that feeling; however, we have to be vulnerable at times to learn what works and what doesn't...it's part of human nature and how we grow as people. Technology therefore is the same way, it can be vulnerable at any time as there are always going to be people there to exploit it. The only thing we can do is protect our feelings (or our technology) the best way we can with the intelligence and experience we have right now. There is no such thing as a 100% perfect system, but there is a perfect system that works for you...whatever it may be. Due diligence is paramount when it comes to the use of technology...especially in this risky business. The biggest security measure we can take, whether with use of technology or not, is common sense. And common sense tells us that what works today may not work tomorrow.

This post is definitely designed to promote feedback. What are your thoughts and feelings on the matter?

Love you brothers

Zen

wook
12-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Common sense goes a long way... Not just here, but in every aspect in life.
http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-it-is-a-thousand-times-better-to-have-common-sense-without-education-than-to-have-education-without-robert-green-ingersoll-91178.jpg#common%20sense%20850x400

bdad
12-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Common sense is not so common anymore.

preacher
12-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Common sense is not so common anymore.

Very well said bro..

Andromeda
06-16-2015, 07:02 PM
This is a great post, security really is a feeling but have not heard it put into that perspective before reading this. All I can add is to research as much as possible on whatever subject your trying to secure, then research the integrity of the companies you turn to for security measures, activate all those necessary measures and relax! Obviously stay vigilant but after you've done all you can, like the post says, it's just a feeling, so you can either stress yourself out or be happy, either way, the outcome will be the same so just be HAPPY :-)

Symbion1
06-18-2015, 07:06 AM
To true Bro to true