PDA

View Full Version : making a comeback after surgeries

macho
01-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I have had 3 surgeries since October both wrists and elbows ..maan coming back from this shit is way harder than I expected I hit the gym for the first time yesterday and I was disappointed and downright embarresed .

Jimmyinkedup
01-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Do not worry. No need to be embarrassed bro. I have been there. I was laid up in a wheelchair for 7 months and out of commission for 11 total. It will come back. Muscle memory is real bro. Dont worry about the weight, who the F cares man. You do you and before you know it a few months down the road this will be a distant memory. Press on.

macho
01-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks bro I am hoping it goes exactly like that.... It's only been 3 1/2 months but man I feel weak as a kitten ..Lmao... I still can't put the pressure on my wrists for bench it hurts ... Should I stick with body weight exercises awhile ?

Syber
01-09-2015, 08:40 PM
I had a metal plate inserted in my arm near my wrist and was unable to use that arm for months and strength loss sucked and ever since ive had to be abit more carefull with lifting heavy dumbells, one thing i found is strapping my wrist tightly befor a workout has stopped most issues
but i learnt that the hard way after lifting heavy and hurting my wrist.
just keep training and you will be back to normal in no time

Dont wanna be old
01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Just need to put it in your head your a badass on a comeback .
You seen my infection video ? When I went back I put training disk on a deadlift bar .
I was deadlifting 65lbs and pouring sweat like I was attempting a 1RM .
What you should be is proud of yourself for not quiting .
Everyone here is glad your back and proud of you for trying .
After a week or two gains will be regular and feel good .
You got this !
DWBO

Jimmyinkedup
01-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks bro I am hoping it goes exactly like that.... It's only been 3 1/2 months but man I feel weak as a kitten ..Lmao... I still can't put the pressure on my wrists for bench it hurts ... Should I stick with body weight exercises awhile ?

Stick with what you can do man. Screw the wieght. Do what you can and slowly you will build up quicker than you think.

Tazzzz
01-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Pain just posted a thread about creatine and how it helps retain musle size/strength during down time. Maybe check it out and see if that might be a help. There are also some good threads on peps and how they can speed up recovery and regrowth of injuries. (TB-500 & IGF1-LR3) Being patient is not my strong suit either bro so I can feel you. Like Ink said, F what anyone else thinks, do your thing and don't push so hard you do more damage.

macho
01-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Just need to put it in your head your a badass on a comeback .
You seen my infection video ? When I went back I put training disk on a deadlift bar .
I was deadlifting 65lbs and pouring sweat like I was attempting a 1RM .
What you should be is proud of yourself for not quiting .
Everyone here is glad your back and proud of you for trying .
After a week or two gains will be regular and feel good .
You got this !
DWBO

Thanks man it's good to be back ...

chrisotpherm
01-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Hang in there bro. I am still recovering from my hernia surgery and at times it's frustrating. Then again all I have to do is look at the new gym goer and I'm motivated again. We all know him; new shoes, clothes, bag filled with unopened straps and knee wraps. Oh and baby powder instead of chalk. Lol.

You got this macho. Look in the mirror and get mad at the man who says you can't and go out there and crush him, but be smart.

animal87
01-10-2015, 06:12 PM
'It sucks but it just takes time and patience. I've had alot of surgeries. When you get it back, it just makes it sweeter than the first time.

macho
01-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Did back and bis yesterday and felt way better ... I think it's just that bench even fairly heavy puts so much pressure on wrists that I'm just not ready for yet .. I think that I may actually b stronger as far as curls go because my tendons and wrists have been repaired ... Bench will just have to wait ....

bowtiefreak
01-29-2015, 08:51 PM
keep on working at it. I know that feeling all too well. A few surgeries and the immobility following does nothing good for the strength. You'll come back better though, just keep your head in it. I had days I didn't want to get out of bed, took a few good people around me to kick me in the ass to get me going again.

qbfavre
02-06-2015, 03:56 AM
Yep surgeries suck. Just had my shoulder operated on a few weeks ago...been doing one armed stuff but the muscle is atrophying fast! Just play it safe brother..this game is a marathon, not a sprint!!

Balkan_x
02-19-2015, 10:42 AM
I've had 2 surgeries in 2 years - last one 18 months ago and I have only been able to squat and lunge (with very light weight) recently. Stick to your rehab, throw the ego out the door. Stretch. And you'll probbaly find the excerises you hate the most are the ones you should do the most!

jacked1
02-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Ok brother - since 1999 thru 2011 I've gone thru 8 left knee surgeries and 3 left shoulder cuff recons - attitude is everything here. You let it get you down and you have lost the game - you stay positive and you won't be broken - it's just that simple. Your body will only heal so fast - you will only gain function back that fast but just keep grinding.

Thru all this I was forced to give up judo which I loved - like fuckn loved it - - but I got my bodybuilding back - used to compete as a teen and after 26 years away I got back on stage. This isn't about me but rather to encourage you. You just keep pushing and you will accomplish what you need to. It's not easy but nothing easy is really worth while anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Stay healthy and keep pushing.