PDA

View Full Version : Floor Press increase weight on the bench

cmeliftheavy
01-23-2015, 01:59 PM
This is a special max effort exercise designed to help strengthen the midpoint of the bench press. It is also very effective in increasing tricep strength. This exercise is performed exactly the same as the bench press except you lay on the ground instead of on a bench. Make sure to pause in the bottom of the movement before the accent. This exercise has been used with much success at westside barbell club for the past seven years." - reference Dave Tate.

Another exercise to add in to increase the weight on the bench...

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: justify;">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGH3BeRRLDE

CTFaygo
01-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Floor press is a great movement if your shoulders can take it...this exercise killed my shoulders.

cmeliftheavy
01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
CTF, I have done these before and normally they do not effect me. Last night threw the pause/relax at the bottom of the press with explosion upward and made a world of difference. One thing we do before we even tackle chest is utilizing a shoulder horn, simple tool but restrict the movement on the delt "shoulder cuff" only takes 3/5 minutes to warm the shoulder...

Dont wanna be old
01-23-2015, 04:21 PM
My triceps burn when I do these .
I can get weight up off my chest no problem . It's the second half of my press that feels like I'm dragging chains .
Do I need to get back to my last years 1RM before working in routine or should I mix up now ?
It is a awkward exercise and people wonder WTF I'm doing .
Maybe because I'm afraid of banging elbows too hard , so I come down slow .

KutakRock
01-23-2015, 04:33 PM
This is a great lift, especially with chain weight, to grow your bench. Most people do stall out half way up and this motion addresses that point in your movement precisely. A friend of mine is one of the strongest guys in the country and he swears by this. He specifically emphasizes a full "one thousand one" hold count at the bottom of the motion .