PDA

View Full Version : High cholesterol

noarch
03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Any of you brothers dealing with high cholesterol?

Just had my annual physical and my doctor wants to see me to talk about my cholesterol after running my blood work. Ran my first cycle last year, and don't know that my cholesterol ever dropped back down to where it should be. I've got a second cycle sitting in my drawer waiting to start, but I figure I should hold off and see what he says.

Anybody here on statins? Do statins and gear mix??

Thanks fellas.

Mike1983
03-25-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm on cholesterol meds it was 300 when I went to the dr two months ago.

noarch
03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm on cholesterol meds it was 300 when I went to the dr two months ago.

No problems with it interacting with your cycle? Haven't told my doc about any steroid use.

330 here. Ugh.

1tuffcookie
03-25-2015, 10:09 PM
HA!!! 400 here.... My Dr. knows Im on I had to tell her. She obviously said to stop but in the meantime she put me on Lipitor and just had my bloods done last week after being off for 3 months, so we'll see if it drops to normal. I have already started my next cycle so when I get bloods done in another 2-3 months we'll see what the lipitor and gear combo look like. But this time I'm only running 250mg of test a week as opposed to 600mg from my last cycle.

noarch
03-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Just looked back at bloods I had run back in January on my own to see if I was ready for my next cycle. I was at 240 less than two months ago....so I think this test was wrong. Gonna retest tomorrow to see if it's back in line.

Really hate having my whole cycle sitting there waiting in my drawer! Need to get this sorted out so I can start!

kubes
03-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Just looked back at bloods I had run back in January on my own to see if I was ready for my next cycle. I was at 240 less than two months ago....so I think this test was wrong. Gonna retest tomorrow to see if it's back in line.

Really hate having my whole cycle sitting there waiting in my drawer! Need to get this sorted out so I can start!

What was you hdl and LDL? My chol stays in perfect range even on cycle probably cause of my diet

noarch
03-26-2015, 07:50 PM
What was you hdl and LDL? My chol stays in perfect range even on cycle probably cause of my diet

They're saying more and more these days that high cholesterol is rarely diet related...more likely the hereditary component is the bigger driver of it. Though a good, clean diet is always a good idea!

On 1/15:
Total = 246
HDL = 71
LDL = 164
Tri = 55

On 3/18
Total = 333 (+35%)
HDL = 80 (+12%)
LDL = 231 (+41%)
Tri = 109 (+98%)

Those kinds of changes don't make sense to me in the span of two months. Especially since I've been on a cutting diet, with cardio at least an hour 6 days/wk, low carb and low sat. fat.

I think the test is off (maybe I didn't fast properly, or something else external was going on), but those numbers shouldn't have spiked that much in 2 months with no negative lifestyle changes. Re-testing tomorrow to verify which of those two "snapshot" tests was more accurate.

kubes
03-26-2015, 07:54 PM
They're saying more and more these days that high cholesterol is rarely diet related...more likely the hereditary component is the bigger driver of it. Though a good, clean diet is always a good idea!

On 1/15:
Total = 246
HDL = 71
LDL = 164
Tri = 55

On 3/18
Total = 333 (+35%)
HDL = 80 (+12%)
LDL = 231 (+41%)
Tri = 109 (+98%)

Those kinds of changes don't make sense to me in the span of two months. Especially since I've been on a cutting diet, with cardio at least an hour 6 days/wk, low carb and low sat. fat.

I think the test is off (maybe I didn't fast properly, or something else external was going on), but those numbers shouldn't have spiked that much in 2 months with no negative lifestyle changes. Re-testing tomorrow to verify which of those two "snapshot" tests was more accurate.

I completely disagree...... My father and brother both have such high cholesterol that they can't get in down without meds. They do not eat like I do though and most people don't. I think yours could very well be controlled with diet. You are not far off. You want the combined number to be below 200. You just need to get that LDL down a bit. How much good fat are you eating?

noarch
03-26-2015, 07:57 PM
The issue right now is not the number, it's that I don't believe the test. There's no reason that I or my doctor could come up with for such a significant and rapid spike in those numbers. I'm not even thinking yet about how to get it down until I know where it actually is.

kubes
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
The issue right now is not the number, it's that I don't believe the test. There's no reason that I or my doctor could come up with for such a significant and rapid spike in those numbers. I'm not even thinking yet about how to get it down until I know where it actually is.

Alright sorry I missed that. Did you fast before the labs for 12 hours?

noarch
03-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah....the doc said it could have been a lab error. So I'm re-doing the test tomorrow after a fast overnight to see if that was the case. We were both a little alarmed by the numbers until I went back and looked at my history of tests, which over the last 5 years have all been within +/- 5%. So the sudden spike either means something else is going on (like thyroid or liver issues), or they just screwed up the test.

I assumed going into the doc's office yesterday that he was gonna tell me to go on Lipitor right away. Instead, it looks like we just have a little sleuthing to do first.

kubes
03-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Were you on cycle when you ran the labs?

noarch
03-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Nope. Finished PCT on my last cycle in mid November.

kubes
03-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Nope. Finished PCT on my last cycle in mid November.

Ok hmmm I would test it again for sure. No way I would consider running meds without the second test

noarch
03-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Ok hmmm I would test it again for sure. No way I would consider running meds without the second test

Precisely!

kubes
03-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Precisely!

Let's hope those numbers come in better ;) your hdl is really good

noarch
03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
No kidding! My LDL has always been in the 240s, which is usually considered borderline high. But my high HDL number offsets it, so no doctor has ever been worried about it. With my lifestyle (which isn't perfect, but is a whole lot better than most peoples!), I should be in a more reasonable range. My dad just had heart surgery, though, so that freaked me out and made me get this new test as a final assurance before my new cycle. Hopefully it was just an anomaly and I can start growing again soon!

noarch
03-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Well....looks like it wasn't an incorrect test...re-tested and came back at 314.

Ugh.....more delays to starting my cycle I guess. :-(

noarch
03-30-2015, 04:22 PM
(Or just ignore it and go ahead anyway...)

khan
04-03-2015, 07:57 PM
My CH was 260+ before i even started a cycle. I delayed the use of AAS and took the following.

Choleslo (http://www.amazon.com/CholesLo%C2%AE-Cholesterol-Lowering-Supplement-Capsules/dp/B0055OV9T2)
Red yeast Rice
Fish Oil

After 6 weeks on these supplements and eating a bit healthier, my CH dropped to under 200.
I am genetically predisposed to high CH, both father and grandmother are on statins. I didnt want to have to take a pill a day forever. so I used the above and so far so good.

Be safe and good luck.

behappyalways343
05-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Eat green vegetables and Fruits which can help you to control Cholesterol level.

AliceDoucet
05-15-2015, 05:59 AM
To lower your cholesterol level you can include royal jelly in your diet. It contains complex B vitamins, amino acids, fatty acids, minerals, enzymes, natural antibiotic properties, and antibacterial properties. Royal jelly (http://www.comvita.com/key-ingredients/royal-jelly/1200142) is known for its cholesterol-lowering,anti-inflammatory,antibiotic components, and antibacterial agents. You can try this to lower your cholesterol level.

lipid
06-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Fibre, krill oil, cardio

best things ever.

Superax
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Cholesterol is something that runs in the family just as much as it is to blame when running gear, particulary if you B&C.
Although my HDL and LDL only shifts very marginally when on cycle, that's probably the one thing I worry about more than anything else.

ct2272
09-24-2015, 12:02 PM
A little late to post (sorry) but genetics has a lot to do with it. However diet can help a lot too. I eat 2-3 cups of oatmeal a day. Over the long term, just that alone can drop 20 points. I would also suggest leaner cuts of meat (I tend to stay with Chicken and Turkey with beef on a rare occasion). Perhaps adding psylium fiber (soluble) to your diet in some way. Soluble fiber options will scrub your arteries clean.

aussieraven
10-20-2015, 08:58 PM
A little late to post (sorry) but genetics has a lot to do with it. However diet can help a lot too. I eat 2-3 cups of oatmeal a day. Over the long term, just that alone can drop 20 points. I would also suggest leaner cuts of meat (I tend to stay with Chicken and Turkey with beef on a rare occasion). Perhaps adding psylium fiber (soluble) to your diet in some way. Soluble fiber options will scrub your arteries clean.

This, and getting on probiotics as well helps with your gut health to absorb food better. especially on a lean diet.