PDA

View Full Version : Any fellow construction workers/ labors

titanman03
04-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Just trying to get some output from guys in the same area of work as me. I've been doing construction since I've been very young Bc my family is and was all bricklayers. I'm in the Union now as a labor / apprentice to be a bricklayer and I'm working 9 hour days humping brick and block and at the same time trying to diet and eat right and be able to hit the gym every night without killing myself. I'm not like tryin to sound arrogant but I bust my ass at work everyday it's basically a 8 1/2 hour workout lol. How do you guys diet and eat right and hit the gym when on cycle and working.

fairdinkydi
04-21-2015, 04:33 PM
The hardest thing is eating enough to fuel your body so put in a little plan so u got macros right . Then listen to your body and rest when need :)
My sure u not trolling???

grademan
04-22-2015, 03:56 AM
I am in construction. Heavy highway/ bridges

titanman03
04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
The hardest thing is eating enough to fuel your body so put in a little plan so u got macros right . Then listen to your body and rest when need :)
My sure u not trolling???

What does my sure you not trolling mean. I been on this board a longtime my man I'm far from a troll

titanman03
04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
I am in construction. Heavy highway/ bridges

thats what's up brother two of my cousins are in 1058 heavy highway. I'm local 373

grademan
04-23-2015, 03:29 AM
I am not union. There are some here but the company I work for the benefits are better then union. Plus it's prevailing wage and union guys make the same as I do on all the jobs. Plus dues are 75 month. I can keep that in my pocket. Company has three retirement accts for me plus they pay for insurance for me wife and baby all year even when we are on winter layoff. I am blessed to be with this company so many try to get on here.

busa4mee
04-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Local 512 iron worker here. Zero problems growing, just gotta eat bro

swoosegoose
04-24-2015, 07:10 PM
I am a union lineman. My work Consist of building and maintaining powerlines (the tall ones that come out of the power plants) we work anywhere from 8hrs to 24hrs a day, average I'd say 12. I got myself in the habit of working out early 430am to 6am. I pre make my meals on Sunday. Good for the whole week. It's difficult at times and often I have to travel, when. I travel I eat like a king because company pays for food and hotel. Hard to eat clean at restaurants but it can be done.
Good luck my friend.

grademan
04-26-2015, 03:56 AM
I travel too and it is hard. My wife is union at her job it has its benefits.

titanman03
04-26-2015, 04:26 AM
I don't travel. So I can pre make all my meals for the week. It just feels like after a day's work when I hit the gym I'm not able to hit it as hard as I do on the weekend. But my buddy and I were talking about how all day long is basically a workout. Carrying brick and block and climbing scaffle.

fairdinkydi
05-01-2015, 03:49 AM
What does my sure you not trolling mean. I been on this board a longtime my man I'm far from a troll
Thats why i thought it odd question cause u have been around along time haha alls good alot of blokes at work think im farked eatin same thing all the time and goin gym after 12 hour day but its MY routine so i used to it now just like u will brother.

Giants83
05-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Operating Engineer here. Lucky I don't travel and I have plenty of time to eat. Some days are intense but I just make sure I eat enough and get enough rest. I do 12 hour overnight shifts. If you are on the go a lot you just have to improvise. A few shakes and some sort of easy carbs you can keep close by for in between meals. Fortunately for me I have no problem these days sitting down and eating several meals at work. Shit I even grill some steaks and burgers. Oh and get some EAAs to keep in your water bottle.

grademan
05-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Operating Engineer here. Lucky I don't travel and I have plenty of time to eat. Some days are intense but I just make sure I eat enough and get enough rest. I do 12 hour overnight shifts. If you are on the go a lot you just have to improvise. A few shakes and some sort of easy carbs you can keep close by for in between meals. Fortunately for me I have no problem these days sitting down and eating several meals at work. Shit I even grill some steaks and burgers. Oh and get some EAAs to keep in your water bottle.

Can tell you are a union man. Non union would say equipment operator. Lol

Vamp
05-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Lol I always laughed at that name "operating engineer" most of them barely know how to operate 1 machine let alone all of them! Not saying your one of them Giant just my take on it.. I have 10 years in that biz.

Giants83
05-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Lol I always laughed at that name "operating engineer" most of them barely know how to operate 1 machine let alone all of them! Not saying your one of them Giant just my take on it.. I have 10 years in that biz.

We have a few like that here but not many. I use to spend my days off at the union hall where they have a large field and every piece of equipment so you can learn. There's not much I don't know how to operate. Just started classes for cranes.

grademan
05-15-2015, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Giants83;273465]We have a few like that here but not many. I use to spend my days off at the union hall where they have a large field and every piece of equipment so you can learn. There's not much I don't know how to operate. Just started classes for cranes.[/QUOT

I am an equipment operator. I learned in the field because the south unions are almost non existent. I always made friends with the operators coming up thru the ranks and I learned from them. I operate cranes also Learned on the friction cranes and now everything is hyd. So much easier then friction. Good luck Giants83.

ryanwrath
05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
union ironworker here, plus run my own company. work 12+hrs a day, alot of heavy work. My advice (if your hormonized) is eat as clean as you can, but dont stress about it, because working all day like that is going to keep the weight off. In my observations on out of shape construction workers, many work just as hard, but throw down a shit load of beer after work. nothing wrong with it, but your going to have a gut. I also dont try to go crazy in the gym after a long day. lighter weights usually, although i i go back and forth between strength and mass. best of luck in brick laying >:D that will harden you up nicely.

Dr-Octagon
05-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Impact windows and doors and commercial storefront systems. Non-union, he'll non-english sometimes. Lol

gearedup850
05-31-2015, 01:16 AM
I do landscaping,installation,lots of heavy lifting,digging,wheelbarreling sod places we cant get to with forklifts and tractors,not to mention the 90-100 degree weather on top of the humidity.I lost 6 pounds just last week from eating light,I eat huge meals,every chance I get and its still hard to keep weight on me,Im gonna start drinking more milk with maybe some mass builder in it along with more BCAAs and slow digesting proteins.

pwrlifting
03-11-2016, 02:28 AM
eat, eat, and eat some more. i use a preworkout called fully loaded by LGI. low caffeine content(175mg) but has focus agents and gets me amped up and in the "zone". yet i can still sleep within a few hours afterward. i am an elevator mechanic so i climb, wrench, carry, move test weights(500lbs each), and other random stuff my job requires. union is great cause we get breaks. i eat 5-6 times a day.

pwrlifting
03-11-2016, 05:08 AM
just realized how old this thread was... lol