PDA

View Full Version : Buying Gold $$$$

bigsam
09-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Recently I have just started looking into investing into gold and wonder if anyone has any ideas or tips??!?!?

It is very confusing getting started with all the different types. Should I buy gold at face value you know like the uncirculated coins that are worth their weight in gold or should I go for collectible graded coins that have a little more value other than there weight in gold for example the American Gold Eagles or the American Gold Buffaloes? The gold at weight for the loose coins is around $1100 - to $1200 per coin\ounce. And some of the collectible graded coins are around $2000.00+.

Anyone know what the better buy would be? Uncirculated or graded? And where a good place online to buy it from is?

What about silver? I have the same questions above for silver.........

All help is welcomed and most appreciated!

DirtyD
09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Wish I knew more about what you asking about as I am interested myself...

Dont wanna be old
09-05-2015, 05:16 PM
IMO it depends on how your investing .
If you buy gold at current price/ounce then it's pure investment only .
It takes a bit to make money because pay over the cost in broker fee .
Buying uncirculated and collector coins is partaking in hobby with investing .
Only the beholder believes the $1 coin is worth more than a $1 just like a 25 cent stamp .
I would read everything you can until your eyes bleed .
Good luck friend
DWBO

clae1
09-06-2015, 01:48 AM
I have some gold buffalo coins well sets. Pure long term investments. Like stocks they go up and down in values. Hope 20 or 30 years there worth it

PAiN
09-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Wish I knew more about what you asking about as I am interested myself...

Same here! Hopefully after everyone gets back or recovers from the holiday weekend we can get some more advice coming.

wsnake
09-06-2015, 11:27 PM
I do this as a hobby. Buy it, mine it, find it etc. etc.
IMO if you want to invest in coins then your really more interested in the hobby of coin collecting so don't expect a known value on your investment other than the weight value of gold.
Buying gold ingots has it's draw backs, like storing it for instance. sure it's nice to look at and hold but ultimately you keep it in safe or a bank.
There are broker fees on selling, if I sold a gram here in Aust I'd pay 5% to my buyer same as if I sold them a Kg. I buy from the mint which is really the only place to do it with consistent repeatability.

Edit: Forget about Silver unless you are willing to wait years to see a marginal return at best. Even silver dollars (USD) are bottomed out, to my knowledge US currency still has coins in circulation that actually have the metal they are named for in them. Can't remember the years.... Where Aust coins are made from crap metal of no value.

bulk_cut
09-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Well, well, well bigsam! I thought you thought you knew EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING but it turns out it must only be about Deca!

as it turns out - I am actually not only VERY knowledgeable when it comes to AAS but investing as well (which includes putting tegother well balanced DIVERSIFIED portfolios). I was Registered Investment Advisor and institutional broker with a major Wall Street firm for 8 yrs and gold was an asset class I was VERY interested in and know a lot about.

If you are interested, you can PM me and I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities and help educate you BUT I will NOT give you ANY investment advise what so ever. Believe it or not that is a HUGE crime ( WAY bigger than steroids).

zenstyle
09-10-2015, 03:24 AM
if you do want to "collect" gold in its pure form...think about sticking with bars as coins are for hobbyists. i collected (what i thought was investing) gold and silver at one time...way in the past when my grandfather got me interested in it. now i just trade the futures contracts (mini). the way i look at it (which is not from an investment standpoint)...if its not going up...why buy it? and if its not going down...why short it? in other wards...if the value is not moving in any particular direction long term, i'm not interested in holding on to it.
now with that being said, if your still interested in actually investing in the physical commodity itself, buy it when there is a true bull trend (rising market aka high demand) for it and sell it quickly when that trend reverses for a profit. then after its tanked (supply has exhausted) and starts going up again...buy it and then sell it again when it reverses. rinse and repeat. all you have to do is keep up with what the market is doing...whether its bullish or bearish...and invest or liquidate when it signals you too. best place to buy physical gold and silver with very little premium is probably apmex.com...providentmetals.com would be next best. stay away from buying it on ebay or from private collectors...trust me. the scams in this market are unreal. other than that...take my perspective as you will.

zenstyle
09-10-2015, 03:37 AM
I just read DWBOs post above...he knows exactly what he's talking about. I should have read that first before I posted my word vomit.

bulk_cut
09-10-2015, 04:34 AM
What everyone is missing is that gold alone (no matter what form) is one asset class and one asset class is NOT enough for the purposes of actual investing. If someone's true objectives are INVESTMENT then they need to structure a diversified portfolio. Gold is what's considered an alternative asset (similar to the way managed futures are) and have close to a zero percent correlation to stocks and bonds (which have a direct correlation to interest rate fluctuation) because gold's value is tied to the perceived health of the USD and does not fit the criteria or would ever be considered appropriate on its own!!!

zenstyle
09-10-2015, 05:48 AM
bulk...i agree with you 110%. A good diversified portfolio might be...

VTI Stocks
BND Bonds
FXE Currencies
DBE Energy
DBP Metals
DBA Agriculture

Of course...this is coming from someone with a CTA "background" riding trends up and down, not an RIA. I don't like the word invest (buy and hope) because it buys into the elements of fear and greed among wall street. the only people that win on wall street are the brokers who sell advice and make their money on commissions....rarely if ever do the customers. it would be refreshing to run into someone on wall street who actually knows how to manage money on the open market. are you a fellow trader? you seem like you might have a background in that field...kinda sorta.
Either way...I suspect he is only asking about gold and/or silver. so our responses to him about portfolios and more are relative. other than that, i think his original questions are getting over-answered.

bigsam
09-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Well, well, well bigsam! I thought you thought you knew EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING but it turns out it must only be about Deca!

as it turns out - I am actually not only VERY knowledgeable when it comes to AAS but investing as well (which includes putting tegother well balanced DIVERSIFIED portfolios). I was Registered Investment Advisor and institutional broker with a major Wall Street firm for 8 yrs and gold was an asset class I was VERY interested in and know a lot about.

If you are interested, you can PM me and I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities and help educate you BUT I will NOT give you ANY investment advise what so ever. Believe it or not that is a HUGE crime ( WAY bigger than steroids).

LOL HA I humbly bow my head and thank you and everyone for the input here. As hard as I have been in response to your posts I appreciate the responses here. Thank you!