PDA

View Full Version : Proper Bench Form

Flathead
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
THE ARCH- A good back arch is essential to many lifters. The key is to move your butt as close to your shoulders as possible without bringing either off of the bench (feet planted). You want most of the arch to come in your upper back not your lower back. This will do three things for you. First, it will transfer the weight from your delts to the lower pecs. This reduces the risk of injuring your shoulders. NOTE: If you are putting too much strain on your lower back, don't do it. You will also notice that if you have a good arch you will be bringing the bar down just below your pecs. This makes the bench more like a decline bench where most people have more power. Finally, you'll be reducing the distance that the bar will travel during your bench press.
THE SHOULDER TUCK- Many powerlifters do not realize how much energy is wasted by allowing the bar to travel further than they have to. Next time you get on the bench at the gym, notice how far the bar is traveling. Then get yourself set, pull your shoulders back as far as you can, and take the weight off the rack. Try to pull your shoulders back a little bit further and keep them back as you lower and press the weight. With this method, I have taken as much as 4 inches off of my bench while creating a solid base below my shoulders.
GRIP- I am a firm believer in trying new grips from time to time. The grip can change so many factors in your bench press. You do not want to change your grip just to close the gap, but sometimes a slightly wider grip is just what the doctor ordered to cheat an extra few pounds out of your bench. Do not assume that just because you lose power when your grip gets TOO wide that you can't try it in a bench shirt. If you find that you gain power toward the top of the lift with a wider grip, try it with your bench shirt on. The shirt will become tighter at the bottom due to the excess stretch from the wide grip. This will compensate for the weakness at the bottom. Then you will gain power as the bar travels upward. Finally, you have closed the gap a couple more inches.

sprocket
10-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Great Post FH

west
10-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Great tips bro, here's one of my favorite videos on bench form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

MDR
10-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Shoulder tuck was a big one for me. Still have to remind myself. Very helpful, though. Good article.

Flathead
10-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Trying to rip the bar apart when pressing also helps with keeping your shoulders tucked.

Scorpionking
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Good post Flathead.

lastchance
11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
good post

TankZ71
11-16-2010, 06:11 PM
No to many strength and bodybuilders do bench press any more. Its a shame cause it really develops your core muscles. It all about the core! You can do dumbell presses but without a strong core your wasting your time in my opinion.

Flathead
11-16-2010, 11:17 PM
No to many strength and bodybuilders do bench press any more. Its a shame cause it really develops your core muscles. It all about the core! You can do dumbell presses but without a strong core your wasting your time in my opinion.

I don't know what life would be like without the BB Flat Bench?

Insane_Rage
11-16-2010, 11:32 PM
great tips, ill have to try a few of them.

BrotherIron
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I personally believe that benching is the least impressive lift out there. Now that being said, I do bench every week but due to shoulder issues I have to bench with a narrow grip (shoulder width).

evan_test@250
08-07-2012, 03:58 AM
gunna have to try the shoulder tuck

evan_test@250
08-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I personally believe that benching is the least impressive lift out there. Now that being said, I do bench every week but due to shoulder issues I have to bench with a narrow grip (shoulder width).

I agree with that as bench is not the most athletic lift and does not focus on a large muscle group

Structure88
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Always lift with the shoulder tuck, saw it in one of my dads old west side barbell VHS tapes on bench pressing, and I totally agree with flathead i personally anticipate my flat bb bench press workouts, has been and still is my favorite lift

northcountry
11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
all very important tips. good form = big weight and less injuries

maul
04-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Great info, thanks FH!

cmeliftheavy
01-02-2015, 01:09 PM
These methods listed by "flathead" are the foundation on a good bench. A few months back I started my power lifting journey where my technique was picked apart by coaches, no arch and just raw strength. Since then the techniques listed above by FH have been reinforced the one thing I would add would be to keep a 2 second pause at the bottom and explode on the press upward bound.

pekinpitman
02-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Good info about arching your upper back as opposed to your lower back. i see guys getting twisted very bad when they have a huge arch and their butt comes off of the bench.

jbax
03-19-2016, 09:52 PM
I don't know what life would be like without the BB Flat Bench?
hahaa I know what you mean! I <3 benchpress

GrimR
03-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Never really had any issues with my bench, I got right shoulder pain in early days but paid more attention to how I was benching compared to my left side and no dramas ever since.

Flex_on_her
09-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Great helpful post!!!

juice man
05-19-2018, 04:03 AM
You learn something new every day..

born
05-19-2018, 04:16 AM
Tuck those tris to your lats. Keep your elbows in front of the bar. You will prevent a shoulder surgery and your lifts will climb like no other.

Sqwuidd
05-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Tuck those tris to your lats. Keep your elbows in front of the bar. You will prevent a shoulder surgery and your lifts will climb like no other.

I’m that guy

Who fuckin benched like a moron whilst younger and fucked the shoulder

Now — I just don’t B.B. bench
All dumbbells different grips and motions
It works well and doesn’t irritate my shoulder bc it’s a diff movement

I kinda just miss benching tho ya kno?
Lesson learned the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alterspanic132
07-22-2019, 12:02 PM
great tips, ill have to try a few of them.

mastermonster
11-14-2020, 03:32 AM
Good info about arching your upper back as opposed to your lower back. i see guys getting twisted very bad when they have a huge arch and their butt comes off of the bench.

If your butt comes the bench your feet are to wide. Try it sometime. Get in your setup. Pull your feet in narrow and try to lift your butt off the bench with your leg drive. It comes up easily. Now, widen your feet wide enough that when you drive your feet down hard your butt barely touches the pad but doesn't leave it. It essentially shortens your legs. Once you're used to it, you don't even have to think about keeping your butt down.

mastermonster
11-14-2020, 03:47 AM

I used to tell my benchers to imagin they had a pencil squeezed (gripped) in their armpits between the triceps and lats. To try not to drop the pencil throughout the lift. I'd remind them of it until it was second nature.