PDA

View Full Version : Are Drugs Destroying Bodybuilding?

PAiN
11-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Are Drugs Destroying Bodybuilding?

http://www.ironmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bodybuilders-drugs-anabolic-steroids.jpg

(http://brotherhoodofpain.com)

Most would agree that bodybuilding as a whole, is just not what it used to be. Whether you are discussing the popularity of bodybuilding, the direction the physiques themselves are taking, or pretty much any other aspect of the sport, it is difficult to argue that the sport is not in the midst of a backwards trend as of late. With all of these new categories popping up left and right, everybody and their mother has a class that they can fit themselves into. This indefinitely causes an increase in the number of athletes entering shows at all level of competition. However, this is a reflection of physique competitions in general growing, not bodybuilding. In fact, it is frustrating to hear industry insiders go on about how “our sport” is growing by the day, based on the fact that such and such a show had 900 competitors. In my eyes, at its core, “our sport”, is bodybuilding. So, if only 30 of these 900 competitors are bodybuilders, “our sport” is not growing at all. Hundreds of 20 year old kids who have been training for 8 months and don’t know the first thing about nutrition, entering mens physique and bikini competitions, does not in any way shape or form represent the growth of bodybuilding.

Although the physiques brought to the stage by today’s top pros might be more “impressive” and or freaky than the physiques of yesteryear, few would argue that they are actually better. Guys like Arnold, Frank Zane, and Lou Ferrigno made bodybuilding cool, and more importantly, accepted in the 70’s and 80’s. By the time the late 80’s and early 90’s rolled around you had what most bodybuilding fans would agree were the best physiques of all time. Men like Flex Wheeler, Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, Lee Labrada, Lee Haney and Rich Gaspari, for my money, represent bodybuilding’s peak. In the mid to late 90’s bodybuilding seemed to crest this peak and begin a downward path that continues today. It is probably no coincidence that from 1985 to 1995 the drug use in bodybuilding increased dramatically, both in amounts as well as variety. Potentially more than it has over any other ten year span in our sports history. An increase in the amount and variety of drugs used in bodybuilding over the years is certainly not the only reason that bodybuilding is on this downward trend. The general pussification of America is also to blame. As a result of outlandish political correctness and horrendous lifestyles that are sabotaging our hormones, men are essentially becoming women in our society. In fact, if we continue on this path, it will more than likely be difficult to tell the difference between an American man and an American woman in another 60 years or so. That said, a good case can still be made for steroids, more specifically the reliance on steroids, being the chief cause of our sports seemingly inevitable demise.

The main issue that this excessive steroid use has created, not surprisingly, is the way modern bodybuilders have begun to look. Bodybuilders have gotten so large and over developed, that even to the general public, one glance is all it takes to see that these bodybuilders partake in copious amounts of steroid use. In the mid 1980s and earlier, for the most part, bodybuilders did not have this over juiced look, and resembled exactly what the majority of men wish to look like. In 1980, bodybuilders were still very large, but unlike the large bodybuilders of today, they had very small waists, they did not sport an unnatural amount of thickness, and they were able to walk like normal human beings. Many modern bodybuilders are so thick and develop such large legs that they are hard to distinguish from obese individuals in regards to how they move and breath.

Obviously, if the top bodybuilders representing our sport resemble what the majority of men wish to look like, that indefinitely means that the majority of men will at some point become at least mildly interested in bodybuilding. As modern bodybuilders grow further and further beyond this male ideal, the number of men who are interested in becoming “bodybuilders” diminishes substantially. It is no secret that if less people wish to partake in a given sport, the popularity of that sport will subsequently lessen. The 280 pound, thick-waisted, piles of veiny muscle we know as bodybuilders today, have successfully caused this distinct lessening of popularity in our sport. Not only does this paradox decrease the sport’s popularity, but with less young people becoming interested in the sport, the available talent pool also suffers, which circles right back around to the modern physiques having a lackluster look.

This unfortunate “over-juiced” look is also what prevents professional bodybuilding from making its way onto mainstream television or into the Olympic games, mostly via the anticipated massive amounts of negative press. Can you imagine the field day our media would have discussing steroid use if guys like Dennis Wolf, Phil Heath, and Branch Warren were featured on mainstream television? Good lord. It is unfortunate that the NFL can be laden with steroid and illegal painkiller use, yet still be massively popular and mainstream, simply because the athletes do not necessarily “look” like steroid users. Therein lies the true issue at hand, which is how easily the general public is wielded by their knee jerk emotions and insecurities. This is not to say that physiques resembling Arnold Schwarzenegger, Frank Zane or Robby Robinson would not have the weak minded sheep screaming steroids, but we can all agree that they would not be screaming as loud. Also, unlike most physiques of today, Arnold, Frank and Robby would only have them screaming steroids, not other offensive words such as “gross” or “yuck”.

While drug testing is certainly not the solution to this problem, causing a reduction in drug use one way or another, is the solution. The most obvious way this can be done is by simply changing how bodybuilding contests are judged. Instead of creating new divisions, while ignoring the issues that are killing our sport seen in the open division, why not just attend to these issues? It would not be difficult to adjust the judging so that competitors who look more “natural” or “pleasing” are the competitors who win shows. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, this has not and probably will not ever be done. Instead, as mentioned earlier, new divisions are being created. The problem is, the invent of this new classic division is in essence just admitting defeat in regards to the death of men’s bodybuilding.

Kzoo Detector
11-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Good read. To me, professional bodybuilding peaked in 1993, with Flex Wheeler looking like a carved statue and Yates transforming from an amazing physique to something otherworldly. At that stage, conditioning was still key and the big guts had yet to invade the stage. I don't blame the drugs as much as the judges' lapses in what is acceptable and what is desirable in a competitor. With the 'bigger is better' mentality in effect, naturally the bodies evolved (or some may say eroded) into what we are left with today. It will be interesting to see what happens now, with the classic physique category coming into its own. I think there will always be a place for the so called 'freaks' in pro bodybuilding. People are always interested in who can outsize the next guy...it's just going to be a different playing field now. We shall see...

Jimmyinkedup
11-23-2015, 12:56 AM
It really is an easy fix....let the guys with the classic physiques start winning. You can bet that will change the goals & the look real quick.

kubes
11-23-2015, 12:58 AM
It really is an easy fix....let the guys with the classic physiques start winning. You can bet that will change the goals & the look real quick.

Not a classic but when Dexter won I liked that look

Jimmyinkedup
11-23-2015, 01:18 AM
Not a classic but when Dexter won I liked that look

I really feel like Yates pushed it as far as it should have ever gone. In all reality he is responsible for the advent of the "Monster Physique". I feel like his mass elevated the sport to that new level but the thing is this, he brought conditioning along with what I consider maximum mass.
Dexter is amazing, his conditioning is pretty much the only I consider on point or the way it should be. These guys arent even able to sustain that level of conditioning for one day of the competition much less 2 days. It amazes me the difference in these guys from just day to day.

kubes
11-23-2015, 01:19 AM
I really feel like Yates pushed it as far as it should have ever gone. In all reality he is responsible for the advent of the "Monster Physique". I feel like his mass elevated the sport to that new level but the thing is this, he brought conditioning along with what I consider maximum mass.
Dexter is amazing, his conditioning is pretty much the only I consider on point or the way it should be. These guys arent even able to sustain that level of conditioning for one day of the competition much less 2 days. It amazes me the difference in these guys from just day to day.

True but Dexter stays in much better shape year round then the other pros do. In order to maintain that much mass and gain mass I guess there is no choice

sgtanal
11-23-2015, 11:17 AM
HGH and Insulin abuse is destroying bodybuilding
The 90s imo were the perfect look
Majority had small waist, crazy vtapers yet were still crazy big

DirtRider
11-24-2015, 03:09 AM
Great read PAIN

Mountain-Man
12-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Gear is not destroying the sport egos sponsorship and $$$$ is the ruin of our beloved sport u put that much money Infront of 98% of the human race and they will do what ever they have to to get that money it's just human nature today. Some of the guys look amazing today I like the monster look myself some look like marshmallows all year long but we all know the difference

draconian2014
12-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I think the opposite it was almost impossible to be like the guys in the magazine no matter how hoard you tried you could never grow fast enough to even compare with the bans on everything personaly I feel that it created a bigger demand on the bl;ack market just like weed or boos in the proabition days . and given that the market was so driven by people that wanted to be faster stronger better we all now have the opportunity to become gods ourselves be it through extreme dedication sweat blood tears we still work as hard or hard then the non user I just think having such access allows us to refine our look how we want or desire wether it be big or defined or both ,also I believe that a lot of good can also be achieved from the benefits of use as a normal twig to a decent size in just a few short years can really help the underdog who wouldn't normaly be noticed or the person who feels useless to feel his worth . ofcourse there are assholes that are just that but to a humble person that isn't worth his weight in gold so he feels can feel important and acclomplished so in a way having such access to these things has a way more positive outlook then negative and for normal people more competive because now we all can be gods if we so desire .

Mhuddleston
12-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Good read. To me, professional bodybuilding peaked in 1993, with Flex Wheeler looking like a carved statue and Yates transforming from an amazing physique to something otherworldly. At that stage, conditioning was still key and the big guts had yet to invade the stage. I don't blame the drugs as much as the judges' lapses in what is acceptable and what is desirable in a competitor. With the 'bigger is better' mentality in effect, naturally the bodies evolved (or some may say eroded) into what we are left with today. It will be interesting to see what happens now, with the classic physique category coming into its own. I think there will always be a place for the so called 'freaks' in pro bodybuilding. People are always interested in who can outsize the next guy...it's just going to be a different playing field now. We shall see...

Yea Good point.. Aesthetics are still in play.. But yea the Big Gut being acceptable and tbe judges lapses as you said.. Is saying that drugs are accepted.. AND accepted to a High Degree.. we have gotten away from some of the original Standards, but Every SPORT DOES EVOLVE.. Nobody Liked, in Fact HATED & Crucified.. (called it "cheating") ...The First Dunk in the NBA. Now look. Its a Centerpiece/Highlight what Many WATCH FOR.. Its Normal For People to want to See the "Abnormal" Different.. BIG.. EXCITING.. Stuff.. also a GREAT Example: MLB Baseball; The Fanbase, The Draw, Exposure, Excitement, Ratings, Headlines, Records, DURING What...? THE Steroid Era!.. Look How Baseballs Popularity Suffered After they Cracked Down on Them? Ratings, and Everything I just Stated took A NoseDive.. Now We could Blame that On Steroids that They Cast a Dark Cloud Over the Sport.. Or We Could Look At it How and What They DID for the Sport During that Time period.. No Denying the popularity during that Era.. So ALSO LETS BE Honest As Fans and Look at it From the Leagues Position We know We wanna See Freakish, unhuman, SuperHero Like Athletes & Performances! We Dont Want to See Avg... "Average" Doesnt exactly Sell.. History proves this.

Im Not A heavy USER off and on cycles throughout my years.. But what Exactly Causes the "Big Gut" is it Just too much/many compounds In general..? Ling term use? Continual use..? Or is it Particular Compounds..? Like Anadrol? Or Particular Stacks??
I ask because i DEFINETLY Want TO AVOID that Gut.. I literally saw a Dude that Looked like He was 7months Pregnant he was So bloated in just the stomach!

mastermolnar
01-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Yea Good point.. Aesthetics are still in play.. But yea the Big Gut being acceptable and tbe judges lapses as you said.. Is saying that drugs are accepted.. AND accepted to a High Degree.. we have gotten away from some of the original Standards, but Every SPORT DOES EVOLVE.. Nobody Liked, in Fact HATED & Crucified.. (called it "cheating") ...The First Dunk in the NBA. Now look. Its a Centerpiece/Highlight what Many WATCH FOR.. Its Normal For People to want to See the "Abnormal" Different.. BIG.. EXCITING.. Stuff.. also a GREAT Example: MLB Baseball; The Fanbase, The Draw, Exposure, Excitement, Ratings, Headlines, Records, DURING What...? THE Steroid Era!.. Look How Baseballs Popularity Suffered After they Cracked Down on Them? Ratings, and Everything I just Stated took A NoseDive.. Now We could Blame that On Steroids that They Cast a Dark Cloud Over the Sport.. Or We Could Look At it How and What They DID for the Sport During that Time period.. No Denying the popularity during that Era.. So ALSO LETS BE Honest As Fans and Look at it From the Leagues Position We know We wanna See Freakish, unhuman, SuperHero Like Athletes & Performances! We Dont Want to See Avg... "Average" Doesnt exactly Sell.. History proves this.

Im Not A heavy USER off and on cycles throughout my years.. But what Exactly Causes the "Big Gut" is it Just too much/many compounds In general..? Ling term use? Continual use..? Or is it Particular Compounds..? Like Anadrol? Or Particular Stacks??
I ask because i DEFINETLY Want TO AVOID that Gut.. I literally saw a Dude that Looked like He was 7months Pregnant he was So bloated in just the stomach!

The cause of that big gut is internal organ growth caused from excessive HGH use.. hence the term "growth/GH gut." The distended stomach csn also be cobtributed to by excessive insulin use which can increase adipose fat cells in the abdominal region.

This is a great topic. I would love to see the 90s physiques back on the stage... lee haney, lee priest, dexter jackson.. these are what I aspire to

syrax
01-08-2016, 03:45 AM
Allot of speculation etc in terms of what it takes to hit a bodyweight of a pro. I chased the dream 10 years ago and more emphasis is placed on hgh and insulin then gear itself. Im talking allot of slin here 80iu plus a day on workout days. Short acting at all times. Where ever there is a market for it pros are going to keep pushing the envelope. Im content these days being lighter and healthier. I can at least say I had a crack at it and will be the first to admit it scared me.

eforce
01-27-2016, 03:21 AM
I agree with the vtapers and the small waist. its the best look. however, thats my opinion and it seems the general public disagree cause all I see are freaks with huge guts and some form of abdominals

JB ROBO
01-27-2016, 05:22 AM
Not even gonna get into it lol. I think gear is destroying the sport. My reasons will be my own. I'm a personal fan of the 90's bodybuilding more than anything. But that's just me. A lot of what you have today is a freak show. Not saying it's bad but come on. The freak shouldn't win. The guy with the most pleasing physique should.

Absolutly hate how it's compared to sports like NBA and stuff too. That's ridiculous. They are not even on the same playing field. There's also only so much you can do in that as well and the consequence usually isn't death or permanently altering hormones.

JB ROBO
01-27-2016, 05:29 AM
And here I said I wouldn't get into it lol. It's a sensitive topic really and you have to look at both sides of the coin. These guys often reffered to as freaks like I just did have worked there whole life to achieve greatness in the sport they follow. Many not even because they want to be like that. A good percentage are doing what it takes to be the best to today's criteria.

It's a topic that keeps coming up. You see it on every forum.

In my opinion it's just as bad as asking who you support for president or what religion is best.

mastermolnar
01-28-2016, 01:18 AM
This is why im happy to see classic physique being introduced this year. Im really intrigued to see what comes of it. I may even compete in it depending on where im at with my weight and whatnot

wsnake
01-28-2016, 07:12 AM
Gear is not destroying the sport. Arnold hit the nail on the head last year, it's the judges that are destroying the sport.

dc_812000
01-29-2016, 02:53 AM
Good read pain.

dc.

jr292
02-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Agree with a few of you here...start having the judges vote for the classic physiques and that will change the rest of the field. the politics of bodybuilding is something that needs to be taken out as well.

physiq
02-17-2016, 02:50 AM
yes.

Golden era bodybuilding nothing can beat it.