PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining

sprocket
10-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Overtraining

Overtraining, an imbalance between stress and adaptability of the body (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004), is revealed by persistent muscular soreness, performance decrease, energy fall, anxiety, depression (Bloomfield, 1995) and many other physiological problems. However as an athlete (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) increases there training volume, they are more likely to suffer an injury before they get classic signs of overtraining (Bailey, 1996)

Exhaustion is the systematic result of short term imbalance between stress and adaptability, whereas overtraining is the result of imbalance accumulated over a prolonged period (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004). In 1956, a scientist by the name Hans Selye developed a theory called the general adaptation syndrome (Philbin, 2004). Selye?s theory showed that overtraining is closely related to an inadequate rate of recovery and adaptation of: the energy systems, cell repair and growth mechanisms, hormonal systems and nervous processes (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004).

The nervous, endocrine, and immune system?s were overtraining seems to produce its first problems (Medicine and Science in Sports (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) and Exercise, vol. 26(5), 1994). Scientists have found that careful physiological surveillance might be able to prevent overtraining.

At times, the symptoms associated with the overtraining syndrome can be severe (Meehan, 2000) and full recovery may take a number of weeks or months (Kuipers and Keizer, 1988). In certain cases, athletes (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) have been unable to continue participating in their sport (Meehan, 2000; Meehan et al., 2000, 2001).

Overtraining, at early stages, may be recovered rapidly by rest. However, as over training (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) progresses, an athlete will become exhausted causing a decrease in performance (Kleinbeck, 1990) and muscular soreness. As social, economical, mental and environmental stress builds up, alongside physical training, total stress influences the body (Watkins, 1997).

An orthostatic challenge shows promise as a diagnostic tool, but the subjective feelings of the patient remain one of the most reliable early warning signs. However Prevention is still the best cure, and athletes, coaches and physicians need to recognize the early warning signs (Arja L.T. Uusitalo, MD, PhD 2001).

Stress may be cause by both negative and positive psychological factors. Negative factors are cases such as death of a family member (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) or being behind at school. While positive factors may be holidays or personal achievements (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 26(5), p. S65, 1994). Lack of sleep, travelling, change in training, illness and injury are all types of effecting physiological factors.

Common Symptoms of Overtraining

Workout Symptoms

Early fatigue during workouts
Faster heart rate with less effort
Decreased strength
Decreased coordination
Physical challenges seem too hard
Decreased performance on strength, speed, or endurance testing

Physical Symptoms

Persistent fatigue
Persistent muscle soreness
Gastrointestinal disturbances (Bailey, 1996)
Loss of appetite
Increased aches and pains
Increase in overuse injuries
Elevated diastolic blood pressure (Bailey, 1996)

Non physical Symptoms

Difficulty sleeping
Feelings of depression
Lack of motivation
Fear of competition
Difficulty concentrating

(The physician and sports medicine - vole 31 - no. 6 - June 2003)

Over Training Test

The Orthostatic Heart Rate Test is used to monitor the athlete to prevent overtraining. To perform the Orthostatic Heart Rate Test you require a watch and must know how to take your pulse rate.

To perform the orthostatic heart rate test you must:
1. Lie down and rest for 15 minutes.
2. Record pulse rate (amount of beats per minutes) ? A One
3. Stand up.
4. 15 seconds later record your pulse rate (amount of beats per minutes) ? A Two
5. Record the difference between A One and A Two.

If the difference is greater than 15-20 beats then it is probable that the athlete has not recovered from the previous days training or is under stress.

(Swaim, Saviano, Edwards, 2002)

Closing statement

Overtraining can be prevented through careful Monitoring of your training sessions (Jeukendrup, 2002), performing the Orthostatic Heart Rate Test, periodizing and individualizing your training programs (Jeukendrup, 2002) and keeping training logs.

Don?t hesitate to miss training if you think you may be overtraining.

However Having one bad training session doesn?t mean you are overtraining, but when you have had multiple bad training sessions it is time to rest or consult professional help

Flathead
10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Nice, this should be a sticky

robertelee10
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
GOOD POST man...good freakin post. ive been dealing with overtraining for months now...many months...and just now see the light..thanks to ppl like you and supermansdaddy.

robertelee10
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
and full recovery may take a number of weeks or months

this must be true, because i stopped training as much to reduce my overtraining to a normal routine....and it doesnt feel right...im weaker now, psychologically fucked up in the head...like confused/frustrated/sad/depressed -- i feel like ive lost a lot of time and muscle that i could have had...but ive been constantly fuckin my body up and not letting it repair.

Rottenrogue
11-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Great post!

PAiN
02-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Good stuff here!

evan_test@250
08-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Very nice post!

berniec
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
interesting read

moreweight
11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Agreed

skinney
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
i live in overtraining mode!

Structure88
11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
This is really making me rethink my training frequency

Valiant
11-26-2012, 06:03 AM
I only worry about this if my gains and progression come to a grinding and sustained halt.

I also have a theory of three which basically says diet/training/sleep can be pushed to the max only two at a time. So if you are training hard and cutting you must make up with extra sleep. Etc.

assman222007
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info

megaman11
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Good info bro

jdb3
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I am working on a post to put on here for you guys that deals with some of this. I see overtraining alot in my line of work, very common. This is why when someone switches to a HIT style w/o they get huge gains all the sudden, because they are finally allowed to fully recover and induce hypertrophy. Both volume and HIT work, but I think periodization must be used in order to negate the overtraining potential done from high volume with too much frequency.

I am really swamped at work this time of year with lots of competitions coming up in next few months, but I will finnish the article soon and post it.

Bulky61
04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Great post!

cb1
04-15-2013, 01:43 AM
There is no such thing as overtraining just under conditioning.

mizzou24
04-15-2013, 02:21 AM
There is no such thing as overtraining just under conditioning.

Under eating!!! :)

cb1
04-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Under juicing he he.

mizzou24
04-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Under juicing he he.

Hahahhahaha

paulthebodybuilder
04-19-2013, 03:28 AM
you always need to rest! thats how you grow!

sofargone561
04-19-2013, 03:29 AM
i dont believe in over training. If your eating and resting enough your body will recover. especially when getting a little OTC help if you know what im saying

vw4334
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Sticky this please

Dago
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I used to do 5 sets 10 reps each bench/shoulder presses 5 bench 5 shoulders 3 bb shrugs 3 db shrugs twice a week arms twice a week 8 bi 8 tri back legs on upper body off days.

lith56
05-29-2013, 01:34 AM
This was a great read thank you

TexxGearsRep
05-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Over training is often the culprit when a workout routine seems dull or plateaued.

rocky83
08-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Good freaking post!

Emman
11-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Good info

studmuffin
05-06-2014, 12:31 AM
This really is good info.

tm1271
10-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Awesome post

Emerald
11-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I have a hard time knowing what is over traiing for me. Different peopel can handle different amounts of training. I find that no matter how hard I train legs, after 45 minutes I can just go on and on. I'll do ten exercises 4-5 sets each and still be jumping around no matter how intease the sets were. I dont feel a need to stop for that day but I still do and an hour later I feel like I could do it all over again. I don't because I'm not stupid, but I feel like I could. Some people get so exhausted they can't go on, but I don't. I could do 100 push ups every day and a hard chest day twice a week but I dont because everyone tells me that is over training. With jujitsu I get tired but iv eme 1 minute to rest and im good for another 5 minutes. Most guys are fried after 3 rounds but I can go 6 and still be smiling. But to my annouyance my master won't let me, after 3 rounds he makes me stop till next class. After 45 minutes on the eliptical I can just go on and on.

Does anyone else feel like this?
E

hockeytownpump
06-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Great post some excellent information here! Thanks

hockeytownpump
06-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Excellent post, really good reading material. Thanks brother.

HoldenCaulfield
04-12-2016, 03:12 AM
this must be true, because i stopped training as much to reduce my overtraining to a normal routine....and it doesnt feel right...im weaker now, psychologically fucked up in the head...like confused/frustrated/sad/depressed -- i feel like ive lost a lot of time and muscle that i could have had...but ive been constantly fuckin my body up and not letting it repair.

I know what you mean, bro. I don't feel right taking days off training. I feel like I'm missing out on something. Like I'm gonna lose some of what I've worked so hard to get. It's deep in my psyche and I can't shake it. Intellectually, I KNOW I'm supposed to take breaks but I still don't feel good about it.

Jay Cuthler
09-21-2016, 09:30 AM
It is real problem exactly for beginner athletes. When I was 18, I visit gym and on the 4th month got overtraining. I feel frustrated and sluggish. That's because I don't eat correctly and visit gym hungry. So, don’t repeat my mistakes, and read article below to avoid overtraining.

Double D
12-27-2016, 04:58 AM
I think we all live in over training mode lol. Separate your muscle groups into one week have a power week and a light week don't kill yourself but learn how to shock your muscles so there not always waiting on the same routine over and over. It's not about how much you can lift it's about form and technique. We build muscle not kill our muscles!!

Listed
02-09-2017, 02:36 AM
Great read - non physical symptoms really speaks to me there ahhh

Anzel
02-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Ever since I stopped worrying about overt raining and hit it hard all the time and sometimes train the same Muscle 2 day in a row I saw some great changes in my body...mostly fat loss but also a bit of muscle increase.

Anzel
Puritysourcelabs.com/ Euro-Pharmacies.net

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IFBB PRO TA12345
03-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Thanks for posting this!

mattnc98
04-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks for posting this!

How about some,input buh. I don't believe in overtraining. Especially on,cycle

mattnc98
04-05-2017, 05:23 PM
But when you 1st start training,period yes

Anzel
04-05-2017, 05:47 PM
You think your overtraining? Eat more and sleep more.

Anzel
Euro-Pharmacies.net Puritysourcelabs.ru

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FutureIFBBProJARow23
04-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Overtraining

Overtraining, an imbalance between stress and adaptability of the body (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004), is revealed by persistent muscular soreness, performance decrease, energy fall, anxiety, depression (Bloomfield, 1995) and many other physiological problems. However as an athlete (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) increases there training volume, they are more likely to suffer an injury before they get classic signs of overtraining (Bailey, 1996)

Exhaustion is the systematic result of short term imbalance between stress and adaptability, whereas overtraining is the result of imbalance accumulated over a prolonged period (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004). In 1956, a scientist by the name Hans Selye developed a theory called the general adaptation syndrome (Philbin, 2004). Selye?s theory showed that overtraining is closely related to an inadequate rate of recovery and adaptation of: the energy systems, cell repair and growth mechanisms, hormonal systems and nervous processes (Siff, PhD, MSc, 2004).

The nervous, endocrine, and immune system?s were overtraining seems to produce its first problems (Medicine and Science in Sports (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) and Exercise, vol. 26(5), 1994). Scientists have found that careful physiological surveillance might be able to prevent overtraining.

At times, the symptoms associated with the overtraining syndrome can be severe (Meehan, 2000) and full recovery may take a number of weeks or months (Kuipers and Keizer, 1988). In certain cases, athletes (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) have been unable to continue participating in their sport (Meehan, 2000; Meehan et al., 2000, 2001).

Overtraining, at early stages, may be recovered rapidly by rest. However, as over training (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) progresses, an athlete will become exhausted causing a decrease in performance (Kleinbeck, 1990) and muscular soreness. As social, economical, mental and environmental stress builds up, alongside physical training, total stress influences the body (Watkins, 1997).

An orthostatic challenge shows promise as a diagnostic tool, but the subjective feelings of the patient remain one of the most reliable early warning signs. However Prevention is still the best cure, and athletes, coaches and physicians need to recognize the early warning signs (Arja L.T. Uusitalo, MD, PhD 2001).

Stress may be cause by both negative and positive psychological factors. Negative factors are cases such as death of a family member (http://brotherhoodofpain.com/#) or being behind at school. While positive factors may be holidays or personal achievements (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 26(5), p. S65, 1994). Lack of sleep, travelling, change in training, illness and injury are all types of effecting physiological factors.

Workout Symptoms

Decreased strength
Decreased coordination

Physical Symptoms

Persistent fatigue
Loss of appetite

Non physical Symptoms

Difficulty sleeping
Feelings of depression
Lack of motivation
Fear of competition
Difficulty concentrating

Over Training Test

The Orthostatic Heart Rate Test is used to monitor the athlete to prevent overtraining. To perform the Orthostatic Heart Rate Test you require a watch and must know how to take your pulse rate.

3. Stand up.
4. 15 seconds later record your pulse rate (amount of beats per minutes) ? A Two

If the difference is greater than 15-20 beats then it is probable that the athlete has not recovered from the previous days training or is under stress.

Closing statement

Overtraining can be prevented through careful Monitoring of your training sessions (Jeukendrup, 2002), performing the Orthostatic Heart Rate Test, periodizing and individualizing your training programs (Jeukendrup, 2002) and keeping training logs.

However Having one bad training session doesn?t mean you are overtraining, but when you have had multiple bad training sessions it is time to rest or consult professional help thanks for the info it was much needed

MONSTER GEAR
07-19-2017, 09:29 AM
When training and food are properly dosed, there is no over-training, the body adapts to everything, but long-term training and nutrition programs are prepared by a professional trainer

strong tom
08-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Thank you bro, awesome, I should take care.

astevens2
10-18-2018, 06:13 AM
So many people use this word without knowing what it really is. Overtraining is not a positive thing

Jbox456
10-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Overtraining

Workout Symptoms

Decreased strength
Decreased coordination

Physical Symptoms

Persistent fatigue
Loss of appetite

Non physical Symptoms

Difficulty sleeping
Feelings of depression
Lack of motivation
Fear of competition
Difficulty concentrating

Over Training Test

3. Stand up.

Closing statement

However Having one bad training session doesn?t mean you are overtraining, but when you have had multiple bad training sessions it is time to rest or consult professional help

Very informative thanks for that

VIPole-jbox456
Wire-jbox

https://brotherhoodofpain.com/banners/BlueCollarGodz(468x80).gif

http://www.bluecollargodz.com

Trickstur
10-22-2018, 04:08 AM
Like this piece. Didn’t know you could tell when you were over training.

Bullcrew
10-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Like this piece. Didn’t know you could tell when you were over training.

I blame mine on old age lol...anything more than sitting is overtraining to me...

No this was actually a really good read....liked it

silverstudent
11-11-2018, 10:43 PM
Energy in, energy out. Great post

lacrosselover12
06-13-2019, 09:45 PM
most people dont train hard enough these days

Alterspanic132
07-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Very Informative bro

Chiefs2003
06-16-2021, 06:39 PM
Great post. I've always had a problem with over training. I had to slow down because it wrecked havoc on my joints. Also not giving my self enough time to rest kept me from reaching my full potential.