PDA

View Full Version : Gallon of Milk a Day for Gains

jgeeme
04-09-2016, 02:05 AM
I've been reading about this GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) routine where it's "guaranteed" you'll put on 25 pounds in one month if you eat your typical bodybuilding meal plan and add one gallon of whole milk every day for a month. Have any of you guys tried this before and would this be something someone over 40 (almost 50 to be exact) could make some gains with?
I've read that the golden era guys drank tons of milk for their gains, but haven't heard of anyone these days relying on milk. Now I realize a certain percentage of this mass would be water and fat, but that's to be expected with any quick bulk, I assume. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

jinko
04-09-2016, 02:17 AM
I did this in college, it was 3/4 of gallon of whole milk.

KICKSTAND
04-09-2016, 02:43 AM
I go through about a gallon of milk and a gallon of water a day. Guess it helps. Honestly I just love milk.

kawa636
04-09-2016, 02:46 AM
i luv milk. special chocolate, its my weakness!!

benlash74
04-09-2016, 02:47 AM
Tried it also when I was in my 20s. Messed up my stomach bad. I was pounding that stuff down and it must of curdled in my stomach. Maybe if you started with 1/4 then worked your way up your body might adapt. So many other things to eat though doesn't seem worth it. I make a couple protein shakes a day with oatmeal, banana, yogurt, nuts,berries or egg yoke. Great way to get calories fast.

Dick
04-09-2016, 02:53 AM
Drink you some Fairlife milk , trust me it's top notch.

JohnDoe
04-09-2016, 02:59 AM
I use roughly a half gallon of fat free milk per day. I don't see why a gallon would hurt! Unless you have lactose issues haha

Kvasir
04-09-2016, 03:01 AM
I work at a dairy manufacturer so I have an unlimited supply

bulk_cut
04-09-2016, 04:31 AM
The problem here is he's talking about drinking a gallon on WHOLE milk a day! I believe WHOLE milk has 8 grams of fat per 8 oz's. which is 128 grams of fat total and 1,152 calories from fat. So, to answer OP's question: YES you will gain weight drinking a gallon of WHOLE milk/day but it is NOT the kind of weight you want to gain. The weight will be mostly body fat and especially at your age you don't want that!!!

The easiest thing to do if you want to gain weight is to track your calorie intake for four days to find out what your BMR is then increase your BMR by 300-500 calories/day making sure to keep your macro split where it should be!!

physiq
04-09-2016, 06:26 AM
yeah in all honesty thats pretty dumb and not needed
way to much dairy can cause problems for some people
the amount of saturated fat
and there is roughly 2.5k calories in a gallon of milk.
your normaly diet is probaly 3500 ish calories
having around 6k calories a day at your age without being 150kg of muscle or running alot of drugs is just asking to become fat and unhealthy which in turn leads to alot of other issues.

Like post above said find BMR and eat 300-500 above it. muscle takes time to grow being in 100 surplus and 1000 is no difference but fat gain.

R23
04-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Yes!!! Fairlife!!! Started drinking the hell outta this stuff around November. I go with the fat free and the 2%. Don't know why but I have gotten a lot leaner since adding this to my regular daytime and post training regimen.

BIGROY
04-09-2016, 07:27 PM

I've that stuff too doesn't mess with my gut and I am almost 50 myself.

jgeeme
04-09-2016, 08:20 PM
All right, I'm sold on trying the Fairlife milk. It's on the grocery list now. My BMR is ~2,100 for my 5'10" 174lb. frame, so I'll jump it up to 2,500 and see how it goes for a month. I eat super clean and predictable so its easy to see what helps and hurts. Thanks guys!

R23
04-09-2016, 08:51 PM
I've that stuff too doesn't mess with my gut and I am almost 50 myself.

Exactly!!! I don't even mess with protein powders anymore for this reason. Fairlife more than takes its place.

Swoilder1
04-10-2016, 04:27 PM
I have been wanting to use Fair-life but when I found out it put out by Coca Cola it soured me on it. Hard to support Coke, is it just better tasting or have you guys noticed it actually is worth the benefits of this brand verse others like some of the Organics, etc?

Mz1220
04-10-2016, 05:30 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=super+sets&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#hl=en&q=super+squats&imgrc=qJPnl_LtU4DvaM%3A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC1833
04-10-2016, 06:31 PM
I would have concerns over the lactic acid and it's effects on your muscles. I am only speaking from my youth experience playing baseball and the effects of lactic acid on my throwing arm due to consumption of milk.

jgeeme
04-17-2016, 06:49 PM
I started drinking Fairlife now and its on my permanent grocery list. I have a list of items I buy every week because my diet hardly changes. I just worked it into my macros by tweaking the meals a little.

Mz1220
04-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Thanks for turning me on to that Fairlife milk. That stuff is great. I love milk plus that stuff has close to twice the protien as regular milk.

ilfirin
05-02-2016, 05:33 AM
It definitely works, the biggest I ever got I wasn't taking any supplements other than protein powder, but I was drinking lots of whole milk!

kujo
09-10-2016, 03:19 AM
I can imagine you would gain a ton of fat. Didn't Arnold say milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

kfrech
09-22-2016, 10:23 PM
It works for pumkins..lol...
seems like it would be a lot of extra fat intake...unless youre a hardgainer like me- i dont have to stress the fat..
i looove milk..my friends buts my ass cuz i drink it with ice

GrimR
09-22-2016, 10:31 PM
Holy fuck batman! I just googled that shit (we use mostly metric here), a gallon is nearly 4 litres, man we don't even have containers that big in the supermarketz in aus lmfao.

unforgiven
10-16-2016, 08:04 PM
I did about ten years ago do this. I drank a gallon of skim milk a day. I jumped from about 200 to 217. Yes it worked wonders. The skim milk didn't seem to mess my stomach up like the whole or even 2 %

EJR
02-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Arnold was right, milk is for babies. All animals that wean become lactose intolerant past the weaning stage. It hits some harder than others. Those it hits hard know or learn they are lactose intolerant. For me I used to crush a lot of milk and it didn't bother me that bad. I used to hack up luggies from it which was my body producing mucous to prevent uptake of undesirable lactose. This is the bodies response to consuming most any kind of poison. A quality whey isolate is the way to go.

jackofspades
06-01-2019, 05:26 AM
Don’t. Just don’t.
And, unless there is something really specific that you’re not telling us, I’m also wondering why you feel the need to put on 25 pounds in one month.

bigpapapumpaf
06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
You'll gain weight due to the extra calories.

I've never been a huge milk fan. Something about drinking a liquid full of hormones from a lactating female never settled well with me. There was a craze in the 90's of no milk as many thought it induced gyno.

Food for thought.....

BPP

maxmuscle1
06-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Milk does a body Good! Lmao! I personally love dairy and when it was cheap, it was my main source of protein. That being said, I can find 128 grams of higher quality protein for less money now. It is a great muscle builder and a huge part of my diet(milk, cottage cheese, yogurt,kefir). Try all things is what I say!

Max

Ronnoco
05-14-2020, 05:47 PM
Rockin refuel!

cyberninja
05-16-2020, 09:27 PM
You a power lifter? No need to do that to yourself unless your goal is some chub. Build muscle not flub you have to take off later. i'm assuming your not a 145lb kid trying out for linebacker on the football team.

Red Bird
05-19-2020, 11:49 AM
On a high active job like working construction and keeping it nonfat it helps for extra easy protein cal to get down as long as your not bloating. If your bloating your not digesting it well which is going to defeat the purpose of trying to have a high calorie diet and eating a lot. If your able to focus on eating clean foods for your cal and a half gallon of milk a day you'd be better off. If you want to put on weight make sure every morning upon wake up you're drinking oats milk peanut butter banana and whey protein.

maxmuscle1
05-19-2020, 04:50 PM
I like Fairlife @ 13gr per cup. The fat-free is easy to go through daily. Is says free of lactose but I am sure there is some. The labeling laws are tricky. But, the flavor is good and unopened, it lasts for more than a month which is nice. Can buy 10, and not have to hit the market so often. Luckily, I have an extra freezer and refrigerator/freezer. Comes in handy.

Max

Detroitmoney
05-24-2020, 02:27 AM
I freaking love milk! Whole milk non of that 2 percent shit . Get all those calories and protein and carbs in brothers . and eat like a monster and train like a monster you will not get fat , it’s called bodybuilding not body slimming. If I’m 120 lb with Abs and noodles for legs and arms i would be depressed lol. I rather have arms and legs like I do where jeans and shirts have to be tailored and a small water retention over my abs and weighing in the 270-300 . Plus Arnold saying he don’t drink milk lol his weight gainer shake back in the day was made with whole whipping cream which is way more fat and calories lol ... he now also is a vegetarian now , And back in the day ate pounds of hamburger in sittings . I say we are all in this Together. Do what ever it takes to reach your goals , what ever diet, supplements or juice you need to be happy with your body . Just be safe guys so you can be there for your family, wife, kids

Argon Coagulator
05-24-2020, 04:16 AM
I believe fat would be the primary weight gained. Muscle can only grow at a certain rate. If you are already eating above maintenance calories with a decent macronutrient ratio, throwing in a gallon of milk on top of that will not speed muscle growth, but it will give you alot more fat gain which will make you feel bigger and bulkier if you have good genetics for fat distribution.

iconpharma
06-03-2020, 08:21 AM
if u really want to grow focus on PROTEIN. milk has lots of lactose and lactose sugars, very easy to get 100gram of sugars per day from it

carbs are energy source, fats also. protein is essential for muscle repair and growth. i believe most people undereat on protein, due to fear or just very old limited knowledge

protein first second and third and then its easier to calculate the energy needs.

maxmuscle1
06-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Dextrose.
Fructose.
Galactose.
Glucose.
Lactose.
Maltose.
Sucrose.

Max
Just sugars

Weapon X
06-05-2020, 02:42 AM
https://youtu.be/pXOGS9cilKM

jrock645
06-21-2020, 08:12 PM
I’m all for adding a glass of milk or two per day to get some extra cals in, but remember milk is not easy to digest. Especially a gallon a day. Need more cals beyond a glass or two? Ground meats, cream of rice(or rice in general), peanut butter(here and there), etc all go down easy, are easy on the stomach and will do all the same things as milk.

buffquads
10-29-2020, 03:59 PM
25 pounds of Muscle? Fat and Muscle? Milk sugars...not good. I prefer to use low fat/carb Meal Replacement shakes on top of meals. Keeping my cals in check and not trying to add BF...goal is lean Muscle. Why put on additional fat that you'll only spend time trying to take off to see whats underneath

GeorgeDev
11-16-2020, 09:38 PM
I've been reading about this GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) routine where it's "guaranteed" you'll put on 25 pounds in one month if you eat your typical bodybuilding meal plan and add one gallon of whole milk every day for a month. Have any of you guys tried this before and would this be something someone over 40 (almost 50 to be exact) could make some gains with?
I've read that the golden era guys drank tons of milk for their gains, but haven't heard of anyone these days relying on milk. Now I realize a certain percentage of this mass would be water and fat, but that's to be expected with any quick bulk, I assume. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

For sure drinking a Gallon (approx. 4 liters) of milk per day will extremely increase your monthly caloric intake. Calculated for full fat (3,6%) milk, the macros and caloric intake will look like smt like this:

Per Day
Per Month

Amount
250ml
liter
Gallon
30 days

Kcal

Fat

Carbs

Protein

Daily, you will be consuming an additional 144g of fat, 200g of carbs and 136g of protein. Your caloric intake will increase by a whooping 2.640 kcal only from milk consumption.

The calories can be broken down as follows:

Per Gallon

Total

Fat

Carbs

Protein

Out of the 2.640 additional calories per day, 1.100 will be deriving from Carbs, 792 from Fat and 748 from Protein.

I guess it is a solid way to bulk if you can tolerate the lactose. For sure it is easier to drink the extra calories when bulking rather than eating solid food, however since milk is known to bloat, you would have to spread it out throughout the day and maybe even replacing some of your daily water intake with milk. You can also consume skimmed or semi skimmed milk in order to reduce fat intake but also calories will decrease too. Also, if consuming soo much milk is just not practical you can also try greek style yogurt (full fat, or 2% fat) which contains a lot of protein and not so much fat. If your goal is to increase calories you can try consuming oats, peanutbutter, sesame seed butter.

G

Riggs
11-16-2020, 10:07 PM
I just went old skool and I'm on the 20 Squat Milk 6 weeks program. Been on for 1 week. I'm actually doing half a gallon of milk ED and 12 raw eggs in addition to my regular diet.

I wake up every morning already seeing the wk I put in the day before.

Running TP, TBA, MP & EQ

Test P 50mg ED
Tren Ace 50mg EOD
Mast P 100mg ED
EQ 300mg M/W/F

Riggs
11-16-2020, 10:24 PM
I’m all for adding a glass of milk or two per day to get some extra cals in, but remember milk is not easy to digest. Especially a gallon a day. Need more cals beyond a glass or two? Ground meats, cream of rice(or rice in general), peanut butter(here and there), etc all go down easy, are easy on the stomach and will do all the same things as milk.

25 pounds of Muscle? Fat and Muscle? Milk sugars...not good. I prefer to use low fat/carb Meal Replacement shakes on top of meals. Keeping my cals in check and not trying to add BF...goal is lean Muscle. Why put on additional fat that you'll only spend time trying to take off to see whats underneath

I have a hiatal hernia and serious gerd. I struggle with the diet I've been accustomed to for yrs....I now depend heavily on dairy and I respond well. Skim milk, whole raw eggs (HDL), egg whites, fat free cottage cheese, Greek yogurt....my body breaks em down much easier than even the leanest of meats. I now have to eat 6 whole meals ED and only between 6am and 6pm.

Powder shakes do nothing for me. I make my own whole food shakes for on the go. I make my own. Cream of rice is good for carbs. I use a lot of egg whites, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt, and pineapple for the taste and Bromelain which helps break down protein.

JohnMcc
11-16-2020, 11:10 PM
I have a hiatal hernia and serious gerd. I struggle with the diet I've been accustomed to for yrs....I now depend heavily on dairy and I respond well. Skim milk, whole raw eggs (HDL), egg whites, fat free cottage cheese, Greek yogurt....my body breaks em down much easier than even the leanest of meats. I now have to eat 6 whole meals ED and only between 6am and 6pm.

Powder shakes do nothing for me. I make my own whole food shakes for on the go. I make my own. Cream of rice is good for carbs. I use a lot of egg whites, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt, and pineapple for the taste and Bromelain which helps break down protein.

I dont have stomach issues and I eat a similar diet. My reasoning is its cheap to buy those foods even when organic. My dad has the same hernia, 8ts getting bad in his old age. Does the strict diet keep it from getting worse for you Riggs?

maxmuscle1
11-16-2020, 11:14 PM

I remember the { WHOLE FOOD PROTEIN SHAKE THREAD} that you made a long
Time ago and people were mixing up milk w tuna fish and oats! [emoji857]. I like your dairy choices vs the tuna fish , peanut , banana , cereal shakes. [emoji123]??

Max

Riggs
11-17-2020, 01:08 AM

I dont have stomach issues and I eat a similar diet. My reasoning is its cheap to buy those foods even when organic. My dad has the same hernia, 8ts getting bad in his old age. Does the strict diet keep it from getting worse for you Riggs?

Somewhat yess. It's the combination of a lot things that has started helping. I do 1.5 tbs of ACV 2 x ED one b4 bed and one upon waking. 6 oz of Aloe gel 2 x ED. I've had to add Esomeprozole which I hate but it's wkn. Added Metamucil at a heavy load too. Honestly it's too much to type out. Animal fats are difficult to break down so I only eat high quality lean meat. If I don't limit the intake to b4 6pm it interrupts sleep and I've eaten things like 6oz of salmon or chicken breast b4 bed for yrs or even cottage cheese with coconut oil. Shit like that. Not now. It's basically taken 1/2 my usual diet out of the picture. Hell I'll regularly throw a few lbs of steak on the grill, pull it off the grill with my hands, and eat it right there. Can't do that anymore. If I do it now I'll just be nauseated until my body works it down which could be a while.

It's quite honestly a fucking kick in the nuts considering our lifestyle. But that's what we do. We adapt and keep grinding. I haven't been able to deadlift for 6yrs now.

I've rarely squatted in that time too so doing this 20 Squat program is a day to day.

Riggs
11-17-2020, 01:15 AM
I remember the { WHOLE FOOD PROTEIN SHAKE THREAD} that you made a long
Time ago and people were mixing up milk w tuna fish and oats! [emoji857]. I like your dairy choices vs the tuna fish , peanut , banana , cereal shakes. [emoji123]??

Max

Ahh cool yah I think I did post a thread huh...yahh I hate powder shakes and only use 20g Whey occasionally in addition to whole food but never alone. Whole food equals growth. Even when blended our body breaking down whole food is its natural process. Putting in 8oz of water and a protein powder is not ideal. I'd rather slam in a Greek yogurt or two. I can eat one in seconds. How long does it take to have a chicken breast in a zip lock and slam it down? 1 minute...2? When I was 19 & 20 I went broke at GNC. I haven't been there in yrs and was only to grab a multi on discount. I eat what I need. It all comes from the grocery.

Wellllll except for all the AAS!!! LMFAO

Argon Coagulator
11-17-2020, 01:34 AM
I just went old skool and I'm on the 20 Squat Milk 6 weeks program. Been on for 1 week. I'm actually doing half a gallon of milk ED and 12 raw eggs in addition to my regular diet.

I wake up every morning already seeing the wk I put in the day before.

Running TP, TBA, MP & EQ

Test P 50mg ED
Tren Ace 50mg EOD
Mast P 100mg ED
EQ 300mg M/W/F

Nice! So 900mg of EQ or did you mean 300mg divided into MWF pins?

Riggs
11-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Nice! So 900mg of EQ or did you mean 300mg divided into MWF pins?

Yahhh I can see how I fumbled that explanation...sorry let's see if I can do it right this time....I'm pining 1cc (300mg) EQ 3 times a week (M/W/F) for a total of 900mg a week.

Argon Coagulator
11-19-2020, 06:10 AM
Yahhh I can see how I fumbled that explanation...sorry let's see if I can do it right this time....I'm pining 1cc (300mg) EQ 3 times a week (M/W/F) for a total of 900mg a week.

Ok yeah, nice beefy dose of EQ. I've ramped up to a gram of EQ before. Felt like an animal but my blood pressure was up.

Bigshow300
01-03-2021, 05:24 PM
this is nothing more than another of the million “diet for dummies” gimmicks. Or in this case “bulk for dummies”. It’s lazy and harmful in the long run. The main pro to this would be you can get around 2400 calories quicker than eating Whole Foods. But consider the 1920 milligrams of sodium per day you’re taking in (83 percent the daily limit) and that’s without eating or drinking anything else for the rest of the day. You’ll also be taking in 80g of saturated fat which is 400% the daily recommendation. Bodybuilding is not a sport for the lazy which is why so many people don’t look the way they’d like to. There is no quick and easy way to do this. A balanced diet, healthy foods, and proper ratios is the only way to go. You need to be around 500-800 calorie surplus to gain weight and not get fat doing it. Drinking a gallon of milk/day will not only mess up your stomach but probably put you way over your calorie needs.

IRISHOAK
01-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Depends on the type of milk, and how your body processes it.

I use strictly whole organic milk. Whole milk has healthy fats that your brain needs as well.
Ive never specifically done a gallon per day intentionally. Milk & clean icecream agree with me and I def have great success adding weight with them. If milk makes you fat, you might be under training.

HerbGlaze
01-03-2021, 07:17 PM
That much dairy might make me crap myself or at best - the wifey will throw something in my general direction because I stink so bad [emoji23]

stephenkelly
01-03-2021, 11:52 PM
I may have to try that but it definitely is a lot of dairy for one day, but if it works it’s definitely worth a try for me..
I’d pretty much do anything to reach my goals.. lmao

I MOVE WEIGHT LIKE YOU MOVE YOUR MOUTH

ilovehgh
01-04-2021, 05:51 AM
When bulking i down a gallon of 2% every day no problem, that and a dozen whole eggs. If you start getting fat drop other stuff from diet and keep the milk.