PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift!

ty_flink
04-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Hey guys novice powerlifter.
Always been a conventional deadlifter but due to me having good hip mobility my coach and i have decided i should have a good crack at sumos. Have only done 1 session and my coach is very impressed. Only potential issue being that in my set up i naturally set up with my hips below parralel. We are concerned i may not be able to use my quads properly to break the floor. Has anyone had the issue and know if its ok?

Bodyweight 85kg (187lbs)
Conventional Deadlift 212kg (468.4lbs)
Sumo Deadlift 130kg (286.6lbs) 1st time with samos

pwrlifting
04-18-2016, 01:59 AM
why dont you just change your hip position? from what ive learned you're wasting energy by starting your hips that low.

also if your hips are below parallel then your hamstrings are shut off, which would seem opposite of what you want. quads are very important for deadlifting dont get me wrong.. but it is a posterior chain movement. the only time i start near parallel would be for snatching and power-cleans. i primarily conventional deadlift but do involve sumos as an assistance lift.

ty_flink
04-18-2016, 05:24 AM
Just asking if anyone knew haha no stress brother. Most sumo pullers try to start with there hips bang on parallel was curious to the disadvantages of starting lower

Thappy
04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Legs wider means less distance to pull, also some may argue less stress on the back. I lift sumo and when I fail I usually can tell by tension on my hamstring

Paradox
04-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Sumo is the bomb. I do both, but do more sumo than conv. My anatomy just suits sumo more and im less likely to fuck up form.

As for hip position pwrlofting is spot on. I used to go low as well when i first started sumos, but once it was pointed out to me and i didnt go below thrle parallel l, it felt much more correct and natural. And yeh coach kinda made sure i didnt get too low so that helped

Lesbianthrowdown
04-20-2016, 01:55 PM
do both too but much prefer sumo as well, again anatomy just fits this style of the lift (just feels nice). hell the gf just started doing deadlifts got her doing sumo first as her core strength aint great yet, and boom first week 20 kg bar, second week 30kg for 3 reps and finally yesterday smashed 3 sets of 2 reps using 65kg (she only weighs 50kg)

anyways its great to do both moves, i find sumos are a awesome assistance lift and brings up weak points in my conventional deadlift.

chowlum 1
05-30-2016, 12:01 AM
stop tryna cheat and beat me ty lol sumos for cheaters hahaha

ty_flink
06-14-2016, 11:17 AM
stop tryna cheat and beat me ty lol sumos for cheaters hahaha

Doesn't someone's hips open ����

Grayson
06-19-2016, 04:39 AM
also if your hips are below parallel then your hamstrings are shut off, which would seem opposite of what you want. quads are very important for deadlifting dont get me wrong.. but it is a posterior chain movement. the only time i start near parallel would be for snatching and power-cleans. i primarily conventional deadlift but do involve sumos as an assistance lift.

I think you just cured my deadlift. For the longest time, I've been having them slightly below parallel. Gonna try this tomorrow. Thanks bro

pwrlifting
06-19-2016, 06:28 PM
I think you just cured my deadlift. For the longest time, I've been having them slightly below parallel. Gonna try this tomorrow. Thanks bro
Hope it helps! Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

GrimR
06-23-2016, 04:22 AM
I tried sumo a few times to add something different in but I really didn't like how they felt. I went through some form videos etc but it always felt wrong when I did it.

Paradox
06-23-2016, 04:34 AM
I tried sumo a few times to add something different in but I really didn't like how they felt. I went through some form videos etc but it always felt wrong when I did it.

Yeh bro most of the time its either one way or the other. Im thr opposite, conv always feels somewhat wrong. Actually i couldn't do conv untill i mastered sumo. Alot of it has to do with length of ur legs and trunk.

Both are perfectly acceptable and qualify as a lift in international and national powerlifting comps

Grappler4x4
03-01-2017, 06:36 AM
My workout partner was a power lifter for years and uses the sumo style to deadlift as he has had 2 herniated disk. He still is strong as hell