PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn medicine back in the news

ilfirin
04-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Hey guys, I posted an article about the link between PPIs and dementia a few weeks ago, and just a few days ago, PPIs are back in the news. This time it is a study showing increased risk of kidney problems from PPI use. Heres the link: Using some heartburn drugs may increase your risk of kidney problems - AOL (http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/15/using-some-heartburn-drugs-may-increase-your-risk-of-kidney-prob/21344744/)

Bullrush
04-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, I posted an article about the link between PPIs and dementia a few weeks ago, and just a few days ago, PPIs are back in the news. This time it is a study showing increased risk of kidney problems from PPI use. Heres the link: Using some heartburn drugs may increase your risk of kidney problems - AOL (http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/15/using-some-heartburn-drugs-may-increase-your-risk-of-kidney-prob/21344744/)
Yeah, I read this the other day. It's kinda scary, being I have been taking these meds for almost 20+ yrs...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

turbolnd
09-06-2016, 10:14 PM
I myself take Nexium in the a.m. and Zantac before bed. And in my case it's been hell. I have GERD. So obviously why I take PPI. But I also suffer from water brash induced by swelling of the esophagus. So I'm constantly having to spit up. I have water bottles all around my house. From the research I've done the real problem is not over production of acid. It's the malfunction of the esophageal sphincter. It's the muscle responsible for closing off at the stomach. When this muscle doesn't work you basically have everything you eat as its being broken down coming up if you lay down or simply passing gasses up the esophagus and getting into the lungs. Which leads me to my other issue. I get asthma from it too. So if I swallow the excess saliva it tends to go down the wrong hole due to the swelling. That in turn irritates my lungs. That in turns gives me asthma. So PPI helps to keep acid down. But ultimately the problem is the muscle. And good luck finding a Dr that will perform the surgery to fix it. The surgery has had a lot of hit and miss. Success rate not being too good. Sometimes the surgery causes swelling that can be worse than the original problem. But ultimately if pharmaceutical companies weren't so busy killing people slowly. We'd have the medical community putting time and research and development into this surgery. And a highly successful surgical solution would by now be available. Clearly it's not. So for now. I'm spitting in cups and taking PPI'S. Unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

krank78
09-11-2016, 06:20 PM
damn I had no idea about this been on zantac for a while now. maybe ill look for another solution.