PDA

View Full Version : Why rest on gear?

Mr.Deeds
11-15-2016, 02:38 PM
I went from 192 lbs to 242 in 11 months. I very rarely miss a day in the gym. I played 13yrs of football and my jobs are physically demanding. I'm back down to 230lbs after getting off the gear.
I have a hard time understanding why people think you need a rest day, especially on gear. The biggest SOB I know is natural and lifts everything every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDoe
11-15-2016, 02:41 PM
I went from 192 lbs to 242 in 11 months. I very rarely miss a day in the gym. I played 13yrs of football and my jobs are physically demanding. I'm back down to 230lbs after getting off the gear.
I have a hard time understanding why people think you need a rest day, especially on gear. The biggest SOB I know is natural and lifts everything every day.

Because I have shitty genetics and my tendons hate me?

I cannot lift more than 3 days a week. Tendons in my arms need the days in between to rest.

Years ago (before my first tendon surgery) I was able to hit the gym and weight train 6 days a week easy.

So now I just weight train 3 days and cardio usually 5 days.

Mr.Deeds
11-15-2016, 03:01 PM

I cannot lift more than 3 days a week. Tendons in my arms need the days in between to rest.

Years ago (before my first tendon surgery) I was able to hit the gym and weight train 6 days a week easy.

I was wondered if I was messing up by not resting. I mean I gained a lot but do you think I would have gained more if I had 1 or 2 rest days?

Mr.Deeds
11-15-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm 25 and I've been in great shape before but I slacked off big time after football. I feel like I gained so fast because I've been big like this before.

JohnDoe
11-15-2016, 03:24 PM
It's hard saying. I think a little rest is good for the body in general. Sleep is obviously an important part but in my opinion, taking at least a day or two off..sometimes doing nothing is good for you. The body does have its limits and you don't want to find those limits by overtraining or tearing something.

Turbo306
11-15-2016, 04:05 PM
On or off gear you grow outside the gym... This is a fact... Now that recovery time is VASTLY improved with the use of AAS (especially if you incorporate things like GH etc.)... I think one or two days off is not a bad thing... and that could be the day you do Cardio etc (so your not really "off")... Most pros that I have chatted with have a 5 day split with 2 rest days...

At the end of the day only YOU know your body... If you feel great lifting 7 days a week then Fuck it... do it... Just keeping in mind that you better be getting proper nutrition and sleep as these are just as big if not bigger than the lifting..

My 2 cents... That and another 6 dollars you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks... LOL

Beastie
11-15-2016, 06:43 PM
When I take 2 days off.. I come back really strong..

Mr.Deeds
11-15-2016, 09:33 PM
I have noticed that some days my heavy sets hurt so bad I can not do as much weight. I'm guessing that's my nervous system tapping out.
What is a good 5day split for me?

Turbo306
11-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Monday: Back
Tuesday: Chest/Shoulders (Just a few sets of Shoulders)
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Shoulders/Chest (Just a few sets of chest)
Saturday: Biceps/Triceps...
Sunday: Cardio

This is generic: if you are feeling it you can add Triceps in with Chest as well as Biceps in with Back... I also hit Traps on back day not Shoulder day...

biker84
11-15-2016, 10:06 PM

I'm with ya brother! For me it's the rotator cuffs. If I don't give them that day of rest in between. I pay for it

Radman69
11-15-2016, 10:10 PM

lmao i hear ya bro! When i was in my 20s i didnt feel like i needed to rest either lol... Now i'm mid 30s shit is goin downhill fast! Tennis elbow, back injuries, ect ect... I work construction also which doesnt help..

Mr.Deeds
11-16-2016, 02:13 AM
Monday: Back
Tuesday: Chest/Shoulders (Just a few sets of Shoulders)
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Shoulders/Chest (Just a few sets of chest)
Saturday: Biceps/Triceps...
Sunday: Cardio

This is generic: if you are feeling it you can add Triceps in with Chest as well as Biceps in with Back... I also hit Traps on back day not Shoulder day...

How many reps and sets? How much cardio? I have not been doing much cardio. My body fat was 13.8% today I'd like to be around 8%.

sledgehammer
11-16-2016, 02:58 AM
For me.......
I do 4 day split (but soon will make it 5 w/ an arm day)
Shoulders/Bis
Chest/Tris
Back/Abs
Legs
Off days morning fasted cardio and a nap

I either take a rest day after 2 days of training or 3. I incorporate Dorian Yates HIT training, mixed with a drop set on last set. Always focused on the negative for a 4 count, then burst. Sometimes a superset in a session. Every training session, I try to bust through last weeks plateaus. I need a rest day cause I'm sore and when your sore and feeling tired, that's my central nervous system telling me take a rest. When u rest u grow.

Cajun897
11-16-2016, 01:51 PM
I guess it all depends on your eating and sleeping habits

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mr.Deeds
11-16-2016, 03:16 PM
I guess it all depends on your eating and sleeping habits

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Here's what I ate last Tuesday
I drank six eggs ,1 bagel. 8 oz cup orange juice. Vitamins.

Banana , 2scoops sent the six protein

A full bowl of hamburger helper with ground beef.

2 ground beef patties with A1, 1 bowl of coco pebbles.

Peanut butter and almonds.

2 cheese sticks, almonds
I try to get 8 hrs sleep

mastermolnar
11-16-2016, 03:25 PM
I take more rest now and I generally feel better doing so can I lift 7days a week? Yeah. But I pay for it working construction and supporting my family takes priority over lifting as hard as I can (unfortunately )

Like others said you gotta do how you feel personally.

JohnDoe
11-16-2016, 03:46 PM
I take more rest now and I generally feel better doing so can I lift 7days a week? Yeah. But I pay for it working construction and supporting my family takes priority over lifting as hard as I can (unfortunately )

Like others said you gotta do how you feel personally.

Yup I hear that!! I work full time..4 kids and a wife. Work, family, gym. That's how it's gotta be until the kids are raised at least.

Once my 2 sons get a little older (few more years) I'll start taking them to the gym with me though :)

Turbo306
11-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Cardio really depends on your goals... getting ready for a competition you obviously need a lot more... Going from 13-8% BF can be achieved with very little cardio if Diet is on point... What you don't want is to burn off that hard earned muscle... so I recommend 135-140 BPS Heart rate at a constant pace for 30-35 Minutes...Either Stair-master or treadmill on 10-15% incline about 3-3.5 MPH...

Reps depends on a few factors as well... Being that you want to loose weight (BF) I would shoot for Higher reps getting your heart rate up REALLY focusing on the mind muscle connection and squeezing each rep! Every workout should be as if it is your last! 15-20 reps (SLOOOOWWW) supersets or Giant sets of each body part (IE chest day..do Incline DB/Close Grip DB/ DB Deep Flys as a giant set)... 5-6 sets total

biker84
11-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Yup I hear that!! I work full time..4 kids and a wife. Work, family, gym. That's how it's gotta be until the kids are raised at least.

Once my 2 sons get a little older (few more years) I'll start taking them to the gym with me though :)
Damn JohnDoe! 4! I've got 2 boys and I think of it had a 3rd it would be game over...lol

Mr.Deeds
11-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Diet is so so, I wish it was better. I like to eat healthy food but i get burnt out on chicken.
I need to get my diet in check. I had been doing a bulk for 1 year. I really don't like junk food but I ate everything I could. Now I am trying to figure out how to get my macros.
I like the eat everything diet lol
I feel like I'm back in college trying to figure out my gear, peptides, PCT, diet, and training. I appreciate all of your input brothers. There is some Bull out there on the internet. I'm glad I have you guys to guide me.

Turbo306
11-16-2016, 06:23 PM
I have found Carb cycling to work best! Stick with the basics... Protein Chicken/Lean turkey meat/Lean steak : carbs Jasmine Rice/Rice Cakes/Oatmeal

Carb cycling would look like this

200/200/400/1000 4 day split then start again (For reference 1 cup Jasmine Rice is about 50 Grams of carbs so you do the math and see what it takes to get to 1000 Grams LOL)

Mr.Deeds
11-16-2016, 07:31 PM
I have found Carb cycling to work best! Stick with the basics... Protein Chicken/Lean turkey meat/Lean steak : carbs Jasmine Rice/Rice Cakes/Oatmeal

Carb cycling would look like this

200/200/400/1000 4 day split then start again (For reference 1 cup Jasmine Rice is about 50 Grams of carbs so you do the math and see what it takes to get to 1000 Grams LOL)

That is a lot of rice [emoji500]. I appreciate the schooling bro.

JohnDoe
11-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Damn JohnDoe! 4! I've got 2 boys and I think of it had a 3rd it would be game over...lol

It was supposed to be a 3rd child and ended up twin girls [emoji15]

biker84
11-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Lol! Sounds like a handful

Turbo306
11-16-2016, 09:29 PM
That is a lot of rice [emoji500]. I appreciate the schooling bro.

What ever it takes! Good luck!

syrax
11-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Being on gear does not help your cns recover. Your body requires breaks still.

Radman69
11-16-2016, 09:42 PM

OMG ! My girls are 7 years apart.. Couldnt imagine them the same age...and u have 2 boys... Sounds like fun! U must have great stress management!

JohnDoe
11-16-2016, 10:15 PM
OMG ! My girls are 7 years apart.. Couldnt imagine them the same age...and u have 2 boys... Sounds like fun! U must have great stress management!
Everyday is a fucking blur...

Yes well I used to drink a lot of wine to deal with it. Now I just try to relax and take deep breaths....doesn't work the same.

BULKTIME
11-26-2016, 05:02 PM
T Nation had a great article on taking days off...they called days off "GROW DAYS". It was also not recommended to take off 2 days in a row. The example was four days on & three off...
Monday on
Tuesday on
Wednesday off
Thursday on
Friday off
Saturday on.
Sunday off

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Electromass
11-27-2016, 09:45 AM

Some of my best workouts...including pumps are after a two day rest. Super strong and intense.
Can you go days at a time working out on AAS? Yes....but eventually it will slow your progress from what it could be. The pros don't do it, why should we? These guys get sponsored and bodybuilding is all they do. The average joe bb'er has to get up and go to a job everyday. We need the rest bro, just my humble opinion.

Electromass
11-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Here's what I ate last Tuesday
I drank six eggs ,1 bagel. 8 oz cup orange juice. Vitamins.

Banana , 2scoops sent the six protein

A full bowl of hamburger helper with ground beef.

2 ground beef patties with A1, 1 bowl of coco pebbles.

Peanut butter and almonds.

2 cheese sticks, almonds
I try to get 8 hrs sleep

I would go with chicken and rice, at least in place of hamburger helper. You should also change your carbs sources to outmeal and sweet potato, and load up on clean carbs with a pre-workout meal before heavy lifting days. JMHO

mastermolnar
12-08-2016, 11:02 AM
I would go with chicken and rice, at least in place of hamburger helper. You should also change your carbs sources to outmeal and sweet potato, and load up on clean carbs with a pre-workout meal before heavy lifting days. JMHO

Agreed ^ there's also a ton of fat in terms of macro ratio. I'd limit your peanut butter almond and cheese stick intake if you plan to eat beef for two meals. Like EM said.... try and stick with chicken