PDA

View Full Version : DOMS sucks...

Boombalaty
11-21-2016, 02:51 AM
So, I have been back in the gym after a long hiatus for about a year now. I like to think my training is intense, my body definitely tells me it is. I have horrible doms after nearly all workouts but especially legs and back. I has lessened a bit with time but I do not remember it lasting so long. It seems like, with legs especially, I barely have time to heal before my next leg workout the following week. I cant decide if I am just getting older, I am not eating proper macros around my workout, or if I am just overdoing it. I really dont feel like I go overboard. I am not currently on gear. I do take a few basic supps: protein, creatine, fish oils, bcaas, and a multi. I am fairly diligent as far as diet goes with a roughly 30/30/40 fat car protein macro split. Im guessing im around 20%bf (loosing slow and steady) currently at around 2100 cal per day. Not sure if I just need to continue to suck it up and stop being a pussy or if there is something I can change to help speed recovery time. Thanks in advance guys!

Cajun897
11-21-2016, 03:58 AM
How long you been back? takes a while for the blood to get back in those muscles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boombalaty
11-21-2016, 04:05 AM
Sorry after reading that first sentence, its a bit confusing. I stopped working out about 10 years ago and have been back in the gym just a little under a year.

Cajun897
11-21-2016, 04:10 AM
Make sure sleep is good not just enough sleep but that you feel well rested when you wake up maybe need to up your calories? Whats your weight height age etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boombalaty
11-21-2016, 04:14 AM
I am 42 and a little fat at the moment. I am 5'9" and down to 209 from 234. I am currently eating between 2100-2300 cals a day with a roughly 30/30/40 fat/carb/pro split.
I do not sleep all that great, I wake up several times a night. I thought about trying a zma supp of some sort to see if that helps. I am at a bit of a plateau with the weight loss but I feel like I am still slowly leaning out and getting stronger.

Boombalaty
11-22-2016, 01:29 AM
So today was leg day again and I decided to try something different. I usually eat lunch around 1230 and hit the gym about 430 with no meals between lunch and post workout. Today I decided to have a lil something, 2 tbsp PB and 2 slices whole wheat bread, about an hour before the gym. Felt much stronger, lifted heavier, and feel much less initial soreness.

Looseunitwa
11-22-2016, 08:27 AM
If your body needs to rest longer, do it champ. It's important at our age. How frequent do you train?
I only do nowadays, heavy compounds lifts and a few compound assist lifts. Don't get doms pretty much at all. But my cns takes one hell of a beating. I'm usually asleep most arvos after training lol. But by the next day pretty well ready to go again. But I only train 3 days a week to ensure recovery.

Boombalaty
11-23-2016, 01:31 AM
I usually lift or at least do cardio 5 days a week. This is the second day that I have eaten a pre meal and it seems to help more than I could have imagined. I dont know if just doing 3 days will help me much as far as the pain goes. I usually do something like mon-legs tue-chest wed-back thurs-shoulders fri-arms and take sat and sun off. Really most of the doms pain is easily tolerable except for legs.

murph
12-19-2016, 06:24 PM
I have to eat 30 minutes before I lift or I feel weak

Boombalaty
01-11-2017, 01:55 AM
I have to eat 30 minutes before I lift or I feel weak
I just started making sure I eat before I get off work and it does make a huge difference. I can usually get a meal in around 330 or so and hit the gym 445ish. I have not tried 30min prior. I may have to find something more "portable" and give that a shot too.

fitraver
01-11-2017, 02:09 PM
I just started making sure I eat before I get off work and it does make a huge difference. I can usually get a meal in around 330 or so and hit the gym 445ish. I have not tried 30min prior. I may have to find something more "portable" and give that a shot too.

You're good an hour before with that meal
Man. Like I told you on the other place the carbs in that meal and the one after mostly if cutting. Get in some chicken and oats/rice and that's a solid meal and hour before. If you want something 30 min before eat an apple that'll be fine.