PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum filter help

Kobra
05-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking into a vacuum filter and need some help on choosing a filtration system. Preferably something that can filter 250ml - 500ml at a time. So far I'm looking at the Merck millipore stericup system however not sure if it comes with a vacuum pump or does this need to be purchased separately? Also noticed that its not glass, will this be an issue?

Kvasir
05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Many brothers use the disposable stericups whith great success.

Usually when you buy the filter you can also buy the hand pump from the same source and sometimes they sell them as a package deal. Got to read the description from where you're buying.

Depending on the frequency and volume you're filtering the hand pump method may become laborious

Kobra
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Many brothers use the disposable stericups whith great success.

Usually when you buy the filter you can also buy the hand pump from the same source and sometimes they sell them as a package deal. Got to read the description from where you're buying.

Depending on the frequency and volume you're filtering the hand pump method may become laborious

Thanks. I also found this.

Will this work? Being glass i thought this would be easier as it can be sterilised and reused.

korsaire
05-04-2017, 11:59 PM
glass is always a better choice

Kobra
05-05-2017, 04:02 AM
I guess what I am after is a Buchner glass filtration kit however from what I have been reading it takes filter paper. Is it possible to use PVDF filter on these? If not, can these be used to filter home brew?

Kobra
05-10-2017, 04:17 AM
I guess what I am after is a Buchner glass filtration kit however from what I have been reading it takes filter paper. Is it possible to use PVDF filter on these? If not, can these be used to filter home brew?

Anyone? Just need to know if there is filter paper out there to use with the Buchner kit which will provide the same results as a PVDF @ 0.2um

Thanks

bigmills
05-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Anyone? Just need to know if there is filter paper out there to use with the Buchner kit which will provide the same results as a PVDF @ 0.2um

Thanks
Yeah brother you can use PES or nylon and I'm 99.9% sure they sell those for the glass bottle top filter unit you are talking about.. shoot me a pm..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Olympia Labs
05-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Nylon or PVFD. Best IMO is foxx autofill Nylon bottle top filters. Cannot use PES.....go with disposable

bigmills
05-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Nylon or PVFD. Best IMO is foxx autofill Nylon bottle top filters. Cannot use PES.....go with disposable
So you do I think that the Disposable bottle top filters are the best way to go? That's what I'm using now but was thinking about switching into a bottle top filter that I could change the filters. Also have you tried the Nalgene rapid flow?

BadaBing
07-25-2017, 04:26 AM
I rather PVFD 22 um and 45um 47mm works great Nylon is ok but I rather PVFD you can filter a lil faster and its is great with 45um first pass 22um 2nd pass. I like to run twicesometimes more pack of 50 filters run 18 to 20 bux on ebay. The pump also in ebay for 55 bux 1 hp is more then enough for me. Bruncker glass set up is better then cups cheaper in long run. Good luck

bigmills
07-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking into a vacuum filter and need some help on choosing a filtration system. Preferably something that can filter 250ml - 500ml at a time. So far I'm looking at the Merck millipore stericup system however not sure if it comes with a vacuum pump or does this need to be purchased separately? Also noticed that its not glass, will this be an issue?If I was you I would get a Nalgene rapid flow was a nylon filter they are the fastest ones if you look on YouTube you will see why. Also you'll need to order a glass hybex media bottle to screw the bottle top filter on to it..
If you try to use the plastic receiver it comes with it will break under anything more than 7 pounds of pressure. Also they do not come with a hand pump you can purchase one for cheap at Harbor Freight or Amazon.