PDA

View Full Version : Bottle top filters

bigmills
05-13-2017, 06:18 PM
I wanted to get anyone's opinion on glass bottle top filters, instead of using something like a Nalgene that needs to be thrown away after one use. I'm going to post a picture of one that caught my attention and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these as it seems to be a lot less hassle to just buy filter paper instead of having to buy a whole new bottle top every time you want to brew and you compound. Feedback is always and greatly appreciated..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/872f5584479ffbff29afd51aaf8980f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rmewrench
05-13-2017, 06:24 PM
I wanted to get anyone's opinion on glass bottle top filters, instead of using something like a Nalgene that needs to be thrown away after one use. I'm going to post a picture of one that caught my attention and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these as it seems to be a lot less hassle to just buy filter paper instead of having to buy a whole new bottle top every time you want to brew and you compound. Feedback is always and greatly appreciated..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/872f5584479ffbff29afd51aaf8980f3.jpg

No personal experience. That will be just one more thing you'll need to sterlize everytime you brew. That's the nice part about disposable filters, they come pre-sterlized. One and done. And they are only 12-15bucks. Cheaper to just buy a case at a time. To each is their own though.

bigmills
05-13-2017, 08:34 PM
No personal experience. That will be just one more thing you'll need to sterlize everytime you brew. That's the nice part about disposable filters, they come pre-sterlized. One and done. And they are only 12-15bucks. Cheaper to just buy a case at a time. To each is their own though.
So you think using something like a Nalgene bottle top filter would be better and less expensive in the long run? Considering the fact even if you buy a case of 12 they are about on average 12 $13 piece when you can buy a box of sterile filter papers for about $20? As far as sterilization goes you have to sterilize your Beaker and everything else anyway you might as well sterilize the bottle top before use it to at the same time. I'm not arguing with you brother just trying to see what the best option would be..

Rmewrench
05-13-2017, 08:57 PM
So you think using something like a Nalgene bottle top filter would be better and less expensive in the long run? Considering the fact even if you buy a case of 12 they are about on average 12 $13 piece when you can buy a box of sterile filter papers for about $20? As far as sterilization goes you have to sterilize your Beaker and everything else anyway you might as well sterilize the bottle top before use it to at the same time. I'm not arguing with you brother just trying to see what the best option would be..

As far as cost goes, yes the reusable glass filter will save money in long run. Its a personal preference imo. I personally like the convenience of the disposables. Unless you have a huge autoclave, or a huge pressure cooker, you will be spending more time sterilizing than anythings else.

Giru
05-15-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't agree. I have a setup like that and is pretty easy to sterilize and reuse. It also goes much faster that disponsable ones, and the most important, they don't crack. Depends of how much your volume is, it will be profitable or not use a glass system. Pm me and i can help you in anything you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk