PDA

View Full Version : Help me to Structure/Periodise my training cycle

RonVC
05-14-2017, 11:30 AM
I am wanting to organise my training in a more efficient manner that will allow me to achieve more consistent periods of training and gains throughout the year.

I currently do low volume = 4 - 6 work sets per body part, training usually Mon, Wed, Fri.

Most recent training cycle.....

Monday:

Chest & Back
Decline Bench
Incline Bench or DB
Chins/Pulldowns
Rows
Deadlifts

Wednesday:

Legs
Full Squats
Leg Presses
Leg Curls / or S/L Deadlifts
Seated or Standing Calf raises

Friday:

Shoulders & Arms
Seated Barbell Presses
DB Laterals
Dips
2 handed DB Tri Ext
Barbell Curls
Abs

I may add a 4th day here and there for variation and also do 30mins treadmill cardio 5 times per week. Given that I do low volume work which frequently involves training to failure, forced reps and rest pause, 8 - 10 weeks training in this fashion is pretty much all I can tolerate before I start to stall on both exercises and gains. At this point I generally take a week off and then drop things back for a while to prevent burnt out. This back off period isn't really structured at all and I don't have any set volume or set/Rep/Weight percentages I try to adhere to so it's basically just a guessing game, unlike my strength cycle where I know exactly what exercises and goals I am trying to achieve.

I would like some input to help me design a solid rest/recovery training cycle that I could run after my strength cycle to allow me to back off, recover ( not loosing too many gains) and in-turn provide me with a good platform to build back up in readiness for another 8 - 10 week strength cycle.

I guess what I'm describing is basically a periodisation training cycle for the low volume/high intensity trainer.

Can anyone offer any input??

Paradox
05-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Can we have some more info here.. age, training history, stats, goals, height, weight etc

Because based on whats up there i really hope you're not on steroids

RonVC
05-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Can we have some more info here.. age, training history, stats, goals, height, weight etc

Because based on whats up there i really hope you're not on steroids

1. Age: 43
2. Training since I was 18yrs old, with breaks in between due to travel, life kids etc
3. Weight fluctuates between 80 - 83kgs.
4. I'm 173cm tall
5. Goals: Maintain good level of leaness and muscularity for my age.
Looking for solid lean mass and strength gains without the obvious heavy AAS bulking/bloating look.

6. AAS Usage: Currently on Dr prescribed TRT at 125/mg/ml per week (have added Var for a short blast recently), not interested in doing higher dosage's, nor using other more exotic compounds such as Tren, Mast etc. At my age looking for a balance between good health and achieving a good physique.

7. In regards to training. I have tried most variation's of training volumes and intensity levels throughout the years but always come back to low volume/HIT work with adequate rest periods/days off. Some don't prescribe to low volume/HIT type training but I that I really like being able to push myself hard in the gym and have found that this style works for me. Obviously you can't go balls to the wall 100% of the time and I need to insert some lighter training periods where I drop Forced Reps, Failure and Rest Pause stuff to recoup. The problem I have is that during this down period I tend to loose my way to a point where I really struggle to even get myself to the gym as I feel feeling I'm just going through the motions and it's a total waste of time and the motivation just isn't there. I need to find a solid plan I can be focused on during this period until I'm ready to jump back into my more intense workouts.

Paradox
05-15-2017, 12:54 AM
Well thank god for those stats, you're at a pretty good point i believe

But I'll leave thr advice for the people that have been through simular situations, gone through what you are with similar goals. Then down the track ill be asking you what the hell to do lol

Paradox
05-15-2017, 12:56 AM
Well thank god for those stats, you're at a pretty good point i believe

But I'll leave thr advice for the people that have been through simular situations, gone through what you are with similar goals. Then down the track ill be asking you what the hell to do lol

Anzel
05-15-2017, 03:20 AM
This is a really good question and I think anyone who is a PT would be challenged by it.
I'm not a PT but I had a really good nap today so let me see if I can help you out here...

So since you only weight train 3x a week but lift heavy I think your rest period should be the inverse
. So you can split your chest and back day into two work outs and split your arms and shoulders..
Do chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms

Or something else's like

Chest
Legs
Back
Arms
Shoulders etc..

And train light weight high rep 5 x 15
Because you still want to feel more of a challenge and not go through the motions a 5 x 15 style can certainly provide enough work for the muscles while the lighter weight will give you a better rest.

What I'm thinking is this...
Your lifting heavy for 8 weeks and your joints are taking a beating... your muscles have adapted to the training style as the type 2 fibers have maxed out their growth and mentally it's starting to turn into a grind.

By changing to a 6 or 7 day a week routine you can focus on one muscle group at a time while the 5 x 15 style will give a good pump and more of a conditioning and endurance response and get the type 1 fibers switched on. This style of training will also keep the type 2 fibers engaged but all on all the muscles will respond to the deep pump and increased blood flow.

The change in pace will give you a mental break and your joints will be able to rest and heal since the weight is lighter and the excessive pumping will provide plenty of blood flow around your joints. Also staying active (especially everyday) is good for you...too much inactivity is bad and train every day will keep you in a healthier state...all medical studies show that daily vigorous exercise increases life span.

Also if you train a body part and want to re- train another body part (example..on leg day you hit bis) you can do a few sets of something just to keep that particular muscle group more engaged.
Of 5 x 15 feels like it's too much you can c hamge it to 4 x 15...whatever you want.

Lastly ...getting back to what you said..that your rest phase just seems like your going through the motions....
At the end of the day that s unfortunately a typical rest phase so don't beat yourself up.

Hope that helps ya...

Anzel
Puritysourcelabs.ru
Euro-pharmacies representative

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RonVC
05-15-2017, 09:25 AM
This is a really good question and I think anyone who is a PT would be challenged by it.
I'm not a PT but I had a really good nap today so let me see if I can help you out here...

So since you only weight train 3x a week but lift heavy I think your rest period should be the inverse
. So you can split your chest and back day into two work outs and split your arms and shoulders..
Do chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms

Or something else's like

Chest
Legs
Back
Arms
Shoulders etc..

Because you still want to feel more of a challenge and not go through the motions a 5 x 15 style can certainly provide enough work for the muscles while the lighter weight will give you a better rest.

Your lifting heavy for 8 weeks and your joints are taking a beating... your muscles have adapted to the training style as the type 2 fibers have maxed out their growth and mentally it's starting to turn into a grind.

By changing to a 6 or 7 day a week routine you can focus on one muscle group at a time while the 5 x 15 style will give a good pump and more of a conditioning and endurance response and get the type 1 fibers switched on. This style of training will also keep the type 2 fibers engaged but all on all the muscles will respond to the deep pump and increased blood flow.

The change in pace will give you a mental break and your joints will be able to rest and heal since the weight is lighter and the excessive pumping will provide plenty of blood flow around your joints. Also staying active (especially everyday) is good for you...too much inactivity is bad and train every day will keep you in a healthier state...all medical studies show that daily vigorous exercise increases life span.

Also if you train a body part and want to re- train another body part (example..on leg day you hit bis) you can do a few sets of something just to keep that particular muscle group more engaged.
Of 5 x 15 feels like it's too much you can c hamge it to 4 x 15...whatever you want.

Lastly ...getting back to what you said..that your rest phase just seems like your going through the motions....
At the end of the day that s unfortunately a typical rest phase so don't beat yourself up.

Hope that helps ya...

Anzel
Puritysourcelabs.ru

Superb, articulate reply mate!!!! Exactly the answer and direction I was looking for!!!! I'll get cracking on it tomorrow!

Cheers!!!

americanbulldogg
05-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Do chest
Back
Legs
Shoulders
Arms

Or something else's like

Chest
Legs
Back
Arms
Shoulders etc..

Hope that helps ya...

Anzel
Puritysourcelabs.ru

As always great info Anzel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anzel
05-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Superb, articulate reply mate!!!! Exactly the answer and direction I was looking for!!!! I'll get cracking on it tomorrow!

Cheers!!!
Keep is posted!