PDA

View Full Version : BMR Over & Under

antrb1
05-20-2017, 08:27 PM
What is the rule of thumb of calories over BMR if trying to bulk and calories under if trying to cut.

joko123
05-20-2017, 08:39 PM
The cookie cutter answer 300-500 calories a day surplus or deficit depending on whether you're trying to grow or cut. But if only the body is an ever adapting machine and will make changes. My suggestion is start at 300 kcals a day , use the mirror and pictures to assess how your body composition and if possible calipers are a great tool

AvidFisherman
05-20-2017, 08:42 PM
The cookie cutter answer 300-500 calories a day surplus or deficit depending on whether you're trying to grow or cut. But if only the body is an ever adapting machine and will make changes. My suggestion is start at 300 kcals a day , use the mirror and pictures to assess how your body composition and if possible calipers are a great tool
Not based off your base metabolic rate though? I always thought you should not go under your bmr?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

joko123
05-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Youre right avid, I thought BMR would be your break even point or the calories you're maintaining at but I am incorrect.

My above post is good for the calories you are eating to maintaining your weight at. The way I understand it is BMR is basically the calories you need to basically survive?

Not based off your base metabolic rate though? I always thought you should not go under your bmr?

AvidFisherman
05-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Youre right avid, I thought BMR would be your break even point or the calories you're maintaining at but I am incorrect.

My above post is good for the calories you are eating to maintaining your weight at. The way I understand it is BMR is basically the calories you need to basically survive?
Correct, if you were knocked out and did not move the entire day, thats your bmr.

joko123
05-20-2017, 09:02 PM
If you have any specific questions Ant about your diet or your goals post up my friend. I don't think BMR is the greatest way to try and figure out calories to add or subtract because it leaves out a few key factors like activity levels etc