PDA

View Full Version : Push ups, Good or Bad?

Fast Willie from Philly
05-21-2017, 02:24 AM
So im happy with my muscle growth except for my chest. I hit it really hard and in different ways. I know that it grows during recovery and not in the gym. So my ? is, should I do pushups during the week to stimulate growth or will that effect my recovery. I was thinking about hitting chest day then waiting 3 days to do push ups and then 2 days later more push ups and 2 days later chest again. What do yall think?

julskee
05-21-2017, 02:26 AM
So im happy with my muscle growth except for my chest. I hit it really hard and in different ways. I know that it grows during recovery and not in the gym. So my ? is, should I do pushups during the week to stimulate growth or will that effect my recovery. I was thinking about hitting chest day then waiting 3 days to do push ups and then 2 days later more push ups and 2 days later chest again. What do yall think?
Bro push ups will be fine... it actually helps with recovery buy pushing blood into the muscle and all the nutrients

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

joko123
05-21-2017, 02:42 AM
I found with my chest that was holding back growth was not being able to stimulate it properly.. I've been guilty of being a delt dominant presser meaning my shoulders would take over my Bench press, chest press etc

my suggestion it to get some bands and incorpare them into your chest workout. A good one is the seated chest press... the bands will help to keep your shoulders back so your chest gets used as it's supposed to plus exaggerate the tension on the pressing part of the movement

Fast Willie from Philly
05-21-2017, 02:48 AM
Thanks bro, thats good info. And I was the same way when I used to just try and push heavy weight. My shoulders over shadowed everything else
I found with my chest that was holding back growth was not being able to stimulate it properly.. I've been guilty of being a delt dominant presser meaning my shoulders would take over my Bench press, chest press etc

my suggestion it to get some backs and incorpare them into your chest workout. A good one is the seated chest press... the bands will help to keep your shoulders back so your chest gets used as it's supposed to plus exaggerate the tension on the pressing part of the movement

julskee
05-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Thanks bro, thats good info. And I was the same way when I used to just try and push heavy weight. My shoulders over shadowed everything else
Yeah it definitely comes down do activating the muscle. So it's not how much weight your moving it's how you move it! Cos at the end of the day your brain doesn't know how much he weight is in your hand.

Like you can make a empty bar feel a lot more heavier then it actually is! There a couple of things you can do to help activate the muscle better... Try this out and tell me how you go. So instead of just pushing the bar away from your self try gripping the bar and think about pushing your hands together so your getting inwards pressure.. Which will help activate your chest you want to be doing it the whole movement also think about pushing g your self away from the bar not just pushing the bar... so the amount of tension by the end of each set will be a lot higher then just pushing the bar away if that makes sense?

Also another big thing is keeping your body tight from the ground up retracted scap ect...

Hope that works for ya

joko123
05-21-2017, 03:09 AM
Great points julski! and if I could add to your thoughts when lowering the bar down toward your chest, think of if as squeezing your scapula together which will only happen if your shoulders are retracted. On the upward motion, try to imagine bending the bar as if you are trying to touch your elbows together

the weights are just a tool , how we utilize them is up to us. More weight doesn't not always equal more results if it comes at the cost of sacrificing form, especially with your chest movements

Yeah it definitely comes down do activating the muscle. So it's not how much weight your moving it's how you move it! Cos at the end of the day your brain doesn't know how much he weight is in your hand.

Like you can make a empty bar feel a lot more heavier then it actually is! There a couple of things you can do to help activate the muscle better... Try this out and tell me how you go. So instead of just pushing the bar away from your self try gripping the bar and think about pushing your hands together so your getting inwards pressure.. Which will help activate your chest you want to be doing it the whole movement also think about pushing g your self away from the bar not just pushing the bar... so the amount of tension by the end of each set will be a lot higher then just pushing the bar away if that makes sense?

Also another big thing is keeping your body tight from the ground up retracted scap ect...

Hope that works for ya

julskee
05-21-2017, 03:13 AM
You will notice quite a significant drop in weight which is a mental thing, but once you get the feeling of working your muscle properly it will be fine! There are so many mental que's to nailing the form but after practice you'll get there and your chest will be there :)

Macdaddy
05-21-2017, 04:08 AM
I superset push-ups with flat dumbbell fly's that's the only time I do push-ups

Sent from my ROBBY using Tapatalk

Herc
05-21-2017, 04:43 AM
I used to do pushups every morning. But I only hit chest once a week in the gym. Did it for many many years. My chest is my best asset too.. just food for thought.

Fast Willie from Philly
05-22-2017, 02:11 AM
how many pushups did you do and what kind brother?
I used to do pushups every morning. But I only hit chest once a week in the gym. Did it for many many years. My chest is my best asset too.. just food for thought.

julskee
05-22-2017, 02:44 AM
Best would be variation keep switching it up you would want to hit every angle ect

Fast Willie from Philly
05-22-2017, 02:52 AM
Best would be variation keep switching it up you would want to hit every angle ect

I left you a message in the chat box brother

Herc
05-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Just regular pushups, I would do as many as I could do in one set... sometimes wide sometimes narrow. (usually got around 100 pushups)

joko123
05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Its funnt how now a days we worry so much about over training , but back in the day when we were younger we used to push-ups everyday or sit-up and looked dam good.

I used to gave a pull up bar in my room and I would make myself to give pull ups every time I would come into my room or leave my room and I tink it helped my back progress when I was younger

Just regular pushups, I would do as many as I could do in one set... sometimes wide sometimes narrow. (usually got around 100 pushups)

Fast Willie from Philly
05-22-2017, 12:08 PM
I may be wrong but as far as over training in on session I dont beleive in it while im on the juice. In fact, the best growth and fullness hard muscle I ever had was a year ago when I was doing thw same body part twice a day
Its funnt how now a days we worry so much about over training , but back in the day when we were younger we used to push-ups everyday or sit-up and looked dam good.

I used to gave a pull up bar in my room and I would make myself to give pull ups every time I would come into my room or leave my room and I tink it helped my back progress when I was younger

Herc
05-23-2017, 01:35 AM

I believe it absolutely developed your back! How could it not? The constant muscle stimulation would have definitely helped muscle development.

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 01:37 AM
at the same time I masterbated all the time when I was growing up and I didnt end up with a huge penis
I believe it absolutely developed your back! How could it not? The constant muscle stimulation would have definitely helped muscle development.

Electromass
05-23-2017, 01:51 AM
at the same time I masterbated all the time when I was growing up and I didnt end up with a huge penis
You talk as if this was a thing of the past....I think not!! You are talking to a heeluva lotta men here bro!! We know what's up!!!

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Its hard to hide it when my forarms are the biggest muscles I have
You talk as if this was a thing of the past....I think not!! You are talking to a heeluva lotta men here bro!! We know what's up!!!

Electromass
05-23-2017, 02:06 AM
Its hard to hide it when my forarms are the biggest muscles I have
Well, maybe you should show your pec muscles as much attention as you do your dick beaters!!

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Well, maybe you should show your pec muscles as much attention as you do your dick beaters!!

Won't that make milk come out of my tits?

Electromass
05-23-2017, 02:21 AM
Won't that make milk come out of my tits?
No, but too much tren will. I think you need to take the advice given earlier about bench press technique. And I disagree with your view on over training. It can and will lead to injury...especially when you get older. There, I said it, so let the old man jokes fly boy!!

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 02:31 AM
No, but too much tren will. I think you need to take the advice given earlier about bench press technique. And I disagree with your view on over training. It can and will lead to injury...especially when you get older. There, I said it, so let the old man jokes fly boy!!

Yeah I did but he said with my elbows my hands for the bench press yesterday. My chest is more sore and for than it has been in a long time

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 02:32 AM

And I did have a couple good old jokes but I forgot them by the time I was able to type them out

joko123
05-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Tell me one forearm is not bigger and then I call you a liar lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julskee
05-23-2017, 05:40 AM
I left you a message in the chat box brother
Nothing in there bro

julskee
05-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Did you give what I mentioned a try?

Fast Willie from Philly
05-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Did you give what I mentioned a try?

Yes I did brother and it worked great. My chest got really full and it's pretty sore right now which is awesome. The inside of my chest is what needed the most work and I can help tell that I hid it really well. Thank you