PDA

View Full Version : Giants Should Sign Manny Ramirez when He Returns to the Majors: Fan’s Take

STEROID
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Giants Should Sign Manny Ramirez when He Returns to the Majors: Fan’s Take

By now, you have probably heard that Manny Ramirez is filing for reinstatement to make a return to the Majors in 2012. A lot of people are scoffing at the idea of him making a comeback or even being anywhere near the game of baseball. They say he is a cheater and a steroid user that belongs anywhere but on the field. Well, that all may be completely true and valid. Still, the San Francisco Giants should be the team to scoop him back up if and when he makes his return. I am not kidding at all.

He only played in five games for the Tampa Bay Rays in 2011 before landing himself a 100-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs in his system during a drug test. At first, some people thought he would serve the suspension and then return. Soon after though, Ramirez retired rather than face the penalty. It appears as though he will only face a 50-game suspension upon reinstatement this time around though. He could be back in the batter's box in the middle of the 2012 season - no joke.

I think the San Francisco Giants could easily benefit from his presence on the field, assuming he does not go down for another failed drug test in record time. No, I do not necessarily think that "cheaters" should be allowed back in the game like that. Regardless of what anyone thinks, he is very likely to make it back in a few months. I liked Ramirez when he played for Boston and have always seen his antics and villainy as a purposeful move. In my opinion, he is just going to do what he wants to no matter what the consequences are.

He might use PEDs, but the guy definitely has raw talent when it comes to the game of baseball. It does not matter what you are taking because steroids would not produce the kind of career he has had. Of course, we are talking about a career .312/.411/.585 hitter with 555 home runs and 2,574 hits. Undoubtedly, you can hate the guy for everything he has done - I will not stop you at all. That does not change the fact that he knows how to play the game even if he does it on his own schedule.

In any case, his return is likely to net him a few contract offers from multiple MLB teams. He can stay afloat in the outfield or take up the designated hitter spot (for an AL team obviously). It remains to be seen whether he can get back into shape, but I would not count him out on that. Luckily, it does not matter what he does because teams will not be shoveling millions of dollars out for his services. In all likelihood, he will receive a $1.0 to $3.0 million contract with heavy incentives for a single season.

And that is a risk that the San Francisco Giants can take.

Perhaps the biggest reason I say he could fit with the team is because he fits the free agents that Brian Sabean tends to love. You know, those guys that are older than 35 years-old that can be considered veterans albeit washed-up ones. Well, Ramirez's reputation is washed up, but I bet he can still hit a baseball well enough. He will be 40 years-old by the time he returns and even a decline in his abilities would still probably result in a decent season.

Now I get that a lot of people are going to think he will decline drastically or just get caught for PEDs again. That could easily happen in my mind, but I think "Manny Being Manny" wants to show that he can still play. Of course, you might not agree with me in thinking that he has raw talent with or without the PEDs or possible steroids. Plus, a lot of people might not be too happy or amused about the San Francisco Giants signing such a controversial player.

But you know what? If he can manage to hit anywhere near his career numbers, then I say the Giants should take him. Take into consideration the fact that he could post an OPS .200 points under his career average and it would still be a very solid .796 - just think about that. For a moment, just ignore the controversy and any personal hatred toward Manny Ramirez. On a very affordable and low salary, he could potentially be a still sold everyday player or an amazing bench player as a pinch hitter.

This would be the one "veteran" signing that the San Francisco Giants would probably come out on top with. It might create a flurry of angry baseball fans around the country, but the Giants' fans should be looking for someone that can produce for the team and should be open to all possibilities. Without a doubt, I think Manny Ramirez could be an amazing pinch hitter or a possibly very solid everyday guy. In any case, it is something that fans should think about. It probably will not happen, but he fits the profile of the kind of guys Sabean tends to sign. The only difference is that this time he would not have to spend a fortune for Ramirez.

In the end, there is always the chance that this iteration of Manny Ramirez would be the one that rips baseballs into the atmosphere. I am not saying that anyone should forgive him for what he has done, but it is worth considering him as a solution for the Giants' offensive issues since the team is unlikely to make any acquisitions this offseason.

bdeljoose
12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I see Manny signing with an Al team to dh.The Mn Twins need a dh They tend to make bad decisions on signing and trading players.