PDA

View Full Version : Weird loss of grip while doing deadlifts

Judgmentalist
08-23-2017, 12:16 PM
I was doing deadlifts the other day and for the first time ever I was unable to hold the bar in my left hand.

Two things:

I've been wearing elbow wraps the last couple weeks to help control some Tendinitis. These wraps may have been restricting my blood flow slightly, though I didn't feel anything but the slightest tingling occasionally.

I cut a tendon in my left forearm about fifteen years ago that wasn't reconnected. It is mostly redundant and at the time I didn't have insurance or 10k minimum for a plastic surgeon. I have full mobility in my left hand but there is a little knot of muscle that is obviously no longer connected to anything.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've never had this happen before, though at times I have wondered if I had reduced strength in my left hand.

I was thinking about maybe doing some hangs or something specifically to work on grip strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigt87
08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Your back strength may just be outgrowing your grip strength. Happens to everyone. Eventually you get so strong that your grip holds you back. Get some straps. Myself, I prefer versa gripps. $50 investment and mine have lasted about 5 years already and don't have any tears or anything

Squatzilla
08-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Is it grip or a slip? Too much chalk on the bar? Shoulder protraction mid movement? Break it down, pull from a block same weight see if theres an issue. Video the lift and you can pinpoint the exact trigger spot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Judgmentalist
08-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Is it grip or a slip? Too much chalk on the bar? Shoulder protraction mid movement? Break it down, pull from a block same weight see if theres an issue. Video the lift and you can pinpoint the exact trigger spot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No chalk in this gym anymore, unfortunately.

I don't think it's a shoulder issue but I will video it like you suggest.

I will try pulling from a block.

Like I say, it was weird. My left hand just started opening up slowly before I could complete my set. I had to stop and re-grip on both of my last two sets. Didn't really feel "tired" just couldn't hold my hand closed. Right hand, no problem.