PDA

View Full Version : UFC 140 results: Frank Mir survives onslaught to tap out 'Big Nog' in thriller

STEROID
12-11-2011, 03:44 PM
UFC 140 results: Frank Mir survives onslaught to tap out 'Big Nog' in thriller
by Dann Stupp and John Morgan on Dec 10, 2011

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2045/60390710.jpg (http://bodybuilderselite.com/bbelite/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fimg683.imageshack.us%2Fimg6 83%2F2045%2F60390710.jpg)

Frank Mir was all but done, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira appeared he'd even the score in their long-awaited rematch.

Instead, after being rocked early and seemingly a blow or two away from being battered into unconsciousness on the mat, Mir escaped, slapped on a kimura and then rolled with his the fellow jiu-jitsu ace before breaking Nogueira's arm to force the stoppage.

The fight took place at UFC 140 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. It co-headlined the night's pay-per-view main card and followed prelims on Facebook and ION Television.

Mir won the duo's first meeting three years via TKO, but the victory was tarnished by Nogueira's injury and illness claims in the days after the fight. So UFC officials booked the rematch, and fans were treated to a nail-biter in the second meeting.

Nogueira struck first with combinations before the fighters' sustained battle from the clinch. Mir scored a brief trip-takedown before they returned to their feet and continued fighting from close quarters. Nogueira got through a few elbows and a knee, and he then wobbled Mir with quick a right hand.

Mir fell to his knees, ate a dozen punches, and then fought off a choke that appeared would end the fight. But Mir expertly took top position and worked for a kimura. "Big Nog" kept rolling to take the strain off the hold, but he finally relented when Mir torqued it and appeared to break his humerus (upper-arm bone).

The ref noticed the snap and halted the action at the 3:38 mark of the opening round.

"Now I'm the first person to knock him out and the first one to submit him," Mir said. "I was trying to see what he was doing differently. Patience was the key. My game plan was to wait for things to happen. In the past I'd rush into things. My goal was also to submit him.

"I'm really glad the fight ended the way it did. I hope that 'Minotauro' is OK. I idolize him, and I'm curious to see what he has to say after. When you are as big as we are, things are going to happen."

Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC), a former champ, has climbed back into title contention with his third straight win and fourth victory in his past five fights.

Nogueira (33-7-1 MMA, 4-3 UFC), who has staved off retirement with an August upset of Brendan Schaub, falls to 1-2 over his past three fights.

Up-to-the-fight UFC 140 results include:

Frank Mir def. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira via submission (kimura) - Round 1, 3:38
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Tito Ortiz via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 3:15
Brian Ebersole def. Claude Patrick via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Chan Sung Jung def. Mark Hominick via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 0:07
Igor Pokrajac def. Krzysztof Soszynski via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 0:35
Constantinos Philippou def. Jared Hamman via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 3:11
Dennis Hallman def. John Makdessi via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 2:58
Yves Jabouin def. Walel Watson via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
Mark Bocek def. Nik Lentz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Jake Hecht def. Rich Attonito via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 1:10
John Cholish def. Mitch Clarke via TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 4:36

SPEEDY
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I hate Mir, he is a big pussy. I'd love to see lesnar or one of the other heavyweights beat the fuck out of him Shaun. All he has is submissions, he don't wanna stand and bang.

STEROID
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
He got lucky with this fight. Nogueira had him wobbling from shots and he fell and got lucky as always and was able to submit him.

SPEEDY
12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna have to join the UFC just so I can whoop Mirs pussy ass lol

darksidefitness
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
This is the link for the fight just in case you didn't watch it...however, that's what MMA is about. Wrestlers against fighters. Which technique will prevail. That's how Gracie start. Watch UFC 1,2 4,5. Gracie fought and won against all this big dudes without throw a punch. Nobody knew about BJJ. By the way, Kimo want to kill him at UFC II. Any ways, great post, great fight.

http://www.mmavideofight.com/2011/12/frank-mir-vs-antonio-rodrigo-nogueira.html

Mountain Monster
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm not a Mir fan either,I was disappointed to read this,but thanx for the article FIST.

megwell
12-13-2011, 03:07 AM
also want to give a huge thanks to you F.I.S.T. for posting the link to the fights!

STEROID
12-14-2011, 01:53 AM
also want to give a huge thanks to you F.I.S.T. for posting the link to the fights!

You're welcome.Glad to help

StCLineman
12-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Im no Mir fan , but I will give him credit. I dont know how anyone can say he wont stand and bang when he stood with Nog in the first fight and knocked him out....knocked out Cro cop......stood with Cheik Congo, knocked him down then choked him out. Mirs problem is he seems to have trouble with the big freeks. I think if UFC had a superheavy weight division to seperate him from the monsters he would be a huge threat to anyone in the heavy weight division.

StCLineman
12-17-2011, 12:05 AM
OH yeah, and thanks for the link FIST

STEROID
12-17-2011, 01:04 AM
You're welcome.