PDA

View Full Version : John Rocker admits to steroid use with Braves

STEROID
12-14-2011, 10:58 PM
John Rocker admits to steroid use with Braves
By Gabe Lacques, USA TODAY/Dec 13, 2011

John Rocker has a new book to sell, so he's making the media rounds and doling out little nuggets here and there to reestablish his relevance.

And in so doing, he came forth with the revelation that he used steroids during his career with the Atlanta Braves.

In an interview with freelance writer and radio host Mike Silva, Rocker says Major League Baseball insist he be drug-tested in 1999 after his controversial interview with Sports Illustrated.

Of course, Rocker says now, he tested positive. Because, he says, "Let's be honest. Who wasn't (using steroids)?"

When asked if it made him a better pitcher, Rocker said:

"No. Can I throw 3 or 4 mph harder because of it? Yes. Was my breaking ball better because of it? No. The reason was (for taking it) with my teammates and their confidence laying on my shoulders, with the coaching staff and their confidence on my shoulders, with the millions of Atlanta Braves fans, I am not going to step on that mound with that kind of responsibility with my gun half loaded. Knowing the people I am going to be facing, I know what they're doing; I am not coming to the mound half****ed.

Rocker said MLB denied knowing the results of his positive test, which he finds implausible. Though there was no formal testing policy at the time, steroids technically were outlawed by baseball about a decade earlier.

Perhaps it's just hindsight, but Rocker believes his positive test should have helped kick-start the campaign against steroids in the game, a movement that didn't gain serious momentum until some three years later, beginning with former MVP Ken Caminiti's admission of steroid use.

As for his own career, yeah, Rocker has a few regrets.

"I wish," he says, "37-year old John Rocker could go back and punch 23-year old John Rocker in his face."

Two John Rockers? Sounds more like a horror novel.