PDA

View Full Version : Faster Recovery?

Judgmentalist
09-15-2017, 06:26 PM
Have you used anything or do you do anything that you feel significantly improves your workout recovery time?

I'm 39 and I'm on 200mg Test C a week and 4iu GH a day and I feel like it takes forever to recover these days... I'm scared to come off the damn GH in case it starts taking even longer lol.

GrilledCheddar
09-15-2017, 06:29 PM
How's your sleep? Do you feel like you are getting a good nights sleep and well rested when you wake up? Are you on any specific type of diet right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judgmentalist
09-15-2017, 06:35 PM
How's your sleep? Do you feel like you are getting a good nights sleep and well rested when you wake up? Are you on any specific type of diet right now?

No, dammit. This is the one area that I have a real hard time with. I just run wide open all the time. I try to get good sleep but I usually don't. If I get 8 hours one night I'll get four hours the next. It's very hard to overcome.

As far as diet, nothing weird. Just balanced macros, super clean (on a good week) and limited calories. Extremely limited salt, sugar, simple carbs etc. I'm shooting for losing about a pound a week or so. Got about 40 lbs. down and about another 40 lbs. to go.

Gymrat101
09-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Have u tried any sleep supplements zma is a great one helps sleep and recovery. 5% nutrition has a great sleep aid and night time aminos for improved faster recovery, animal has a PM recovery sleep aid never tried it before but its a great brand. I have a newborn baby so I feel your pain on not getting enough sleep.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Themaskedrider
09-15-2017, 06:58 PM
what's your training schedule like? are you hitting muscle groups once a week or twice a week? I agree with the sleep part though. I struggle with it as well. If I can get 2 nights of 8 hours plus I feel much better the rest of the week

Judgmentalist
09-15-2017, 07:02 PM
what's your training schedule like? are you hitting muscle groups once a week or twice a week? I agree with the sleep part though. I struggle with it as well. If I can get 2 nights of 8 hours plus I feel much better the rest of the week

I try to hit everything twice a week but usually I don't feel fully recovered on the second pass, especially for larger muscle groups.

Themaskedrider
09-15-2017, 07:11 PM
I try to hit everything twice a week but usually I don't feel fully recovered on the second pass, especially for larger muscle groups.

thats something I've been playing with. I've been just smashing one muscle group a day. It seems to help with recovery for me. I'm a competitive soccer coach so my weekends are shot. I need to get all my workouts in during the week. Then I spend all weekend on my feet trying to recovery... Doesn't always work out for me ha!

Weapon X
09-16-2017, 12:23 PM
As mentioned earlier, getting sufficient sleep is very important. Also, a good diet. Offhand, looking at your reply about training, you might be overtraining? Perhaps back off on the number of times you train muscle groups each week and see if that has any effect?

Fancycat69
09-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Sleep should be a priority as mentioned above. Also, make sure that the nutrition you're getting right before and right after your workout are quality meals. That should help. Try to refuel your muscles immediately after training them.

Look into taking melatonin. Do u take your gh at night before bed?

Judgmentalist
09-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Sleep should be a priority as mentioned above. Also, make sure that the nutrition you're getting right before and right after your workout are quality meals. That should help. Try to refuel your muscles immediately after training them.

2iu am, 2iu before bed. Never tried melatonin.

Judgmentalist
09-16-2017, 01:23 PM

2iu am, 2iu before bed. Never tried melatonin.

CaptAm
09-20-2017, 03:47 PM
I just ended a 10 week Test/EQ cycle, and from about week 6 on, I had great recovery, even if my sleep was somewhat less than optimal.

I'm with some of the other guys though, ZMA is a good tool to fall asleep with, it's non-habit forming so you don't need to worry about that, and doesn't make you drowsy the next day.

Reliable_DNP
09-20-2017, 04:22 PM
The caloric deficit on a cut impedes recovery.

Hang in there and focus on getting the sleep sorted.

+1 on Melatonin. Also google "sleep hygiene" for a bunch of little shit thay can also make a meaningful difference.

GrilledCheddar
09-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Good advice here, melatonin has worked well for me in the past. I believe the lack of sleep is definitely a culprit along with the calorie deficit but mainly the sleep issues.

Darth Flex
05-09-2018, 10:42 AM
I like aleve pm for those nights I know i need my 7 to 8 and ache alittle from the days work

Oldskool
07-31-2018, 07:20 PM
No, dammit. This is the one area that I have a real hard time with. I just run wide open all the time. I try to get good sleep but I usually don't. If I get 8 hours one night I'll get four hours the next. It's very hard to overcome.

As far as diet, nothing weird. Just balanced macros, super clean (on a good week) and limited calories. Extremely limited salt, sugar, simple carbs etc. I'm shooting for losing about a pound a week or so. Got about 40 lbs. down and about another 40 lbs. to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSounds like u might be choking up on certain nutrients that affect recovery times. Sodium/salt is very important for recovery and hydration.

I personally don't really like salt and had to make an effort to add it more into my diet.

Once i git my sodium lvls up i stopped cramping up as much and it helped with hydration.

Are u also limiting fats? Fats are important for recovery as well.

Im 39 yrs old and on exactly the same trt regiment as u.

I was limiting carbs and fats to try and get a leaner look but all it was really doing is fkin up my work outs.

Limiting thise things only works if ur a marathon runner or on a cutting cycle and taking the necessary aas to continue to support muscle growth and recovery.

When i finally stopoed being afraid of and started eatting a healthy amount of fats, carbs, sodium etc. Is when my energy lvl, recovery time, muscle gains eyc really started to improve at a faster pace.

The funny part is i got bigger and leaner after i added those things in lol.

Especially as u get older its important to make sure u get all the proper macro and micro nutrients to support recovery, joints health etc.

Do u use a diet tracker?

Ive personally been using cronometer for about 3 yrs now and its really what got all my nutrition on point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

joko123
07-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Intra workout nutrition helps out big time

MarvelNerd
07-31-2018, 08:06 PM
In the conjugate method they use a small 10-15 minutes of previously used muscles to speed recovery. Go slow tempo use light weight goal is pump. This increases recovery speed. Unless you over do it.

Oldskool
07-31-2018, 08:43 PM
In the conjugate method they use a small 10-15 minutes of previously used muscles to speed recovery. Go slow tempo use light weight goal is pump. This increases recovery speed. Unless you over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHow does that compare to the post work out cardio? Have u tried both methods?

balance
08-20-2018, 12:06 AM
The caloric deficit on a cut impedes recovery.

Hang in there and focus on getting the sleep sorted.

+1 on Melatonin. Also google "sleep hygiene" for a bunch of little shit thay can also make a meaningful difference.

This!

Caloric deficit seriously slows recovery time for me, especially if carbs are kept very low.

Also as oldskool mentioned salt intake is extremely important for people that are training and working hard. You want salt with iodine in it, most fancy sea salts don't.

bigpapapumpaf
08-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Take 2 wks and train each body part only once per week and take a few days off.

BPP

MarvelNerd
08-30-2018, 09:05 PM
How does that compare to the post work out cardio? Have u tried both methods?

Sorry just seen this. It is better for loosening up the muscles and soft tissue recovery. I prefer it but it can be hard to hit the gym twice a day. For a morning and evening routine.

Real pain is failing to succeed.

Drewrut
09-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Never tried melatonin.

Give melatonin a try. I was skeptical before I tried it. It wasn't magic but it did make a difference.

Arose
12-09-2018, 10:53 AM
I think it is time you ditched GH, if it is taking a lot of time to recover, then it is not helping you. Remember it may be tricky for you to quit it once the system gets used to it. But I really don’t know why your body is taking longer to recover. Growth hormones should help the muscles to recover and grow. Since I am not a medical expert, I suggest that you consider going for an explanation from an expert.

BarbellNinja
01-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Enigma
01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
I suspect sleep, diet and supplements, in that order but all being important. I would also ask you to consider whether it is actually slow recover vs. general malaise.
Even that much test at your age should be easily speeding recovery.

Runfromsafety
01-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Great info shared here brothers, I learned quite a bit! Thanks!

overfiddy
01-27-2019, 10:18 AM
As mentioned earlier, getting sufficient sleep is very important. Also, a good diet. Offhand, looking at your reply about training, you might be overtraining? Perhaps back off on the number of times you train muscle groups each week and see if that has any effect?
X 2 on probably overtraining. Do a test. Crush the body parts one time per week and see if recovery is better

balin
01-27-2019, 07:30 PM
I have found 2X a week to be better for me after I got into my 50's. Before that once a week was mostly what I went with. But I keep my total sets per week to be about the same as when I trained each part once a week.