PDA

View Full Version : 5 lbs a month

Deviator
09-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Trying to keep a pretty conservative goal for increasing my totals 60 lbs on each lift for a year seems like it’s doable. Just getting back into powerlifting right now I am sitting at a 1300 total after 6 months of actually training bench squat and dead’s hard(500 squat and dead’s 300 on the bench). This is my first hard plateau I have seen in a while, what is the best gains you guys have seen in a year

kaneman
09-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Have you ever looked into the 5/3/1 program? It's a great program for slow but steady gains. You increase bench and shoulder press 5lbs every month and squats and deads by 10lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneman
09-23-2017, 08:15 PM
I just got into powerlifting this year. Did my first meet in march with no training gym owner talks me into signing up two weeks before lol. Hit a 1488 total and now I'm hooked! He is coaching me now for an upcoming uspa meet in dec. I can't really say any gains made in a year since I haven't been powerlifting that long but we will see

Ragnor
09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
I just got into powerlifting this year. Did my first meet in march with no training gym owner talks me into signing up two weeks before lol. Hit a 1488 total and now I'm hooked! He is coaching me now for an upcoming uspa meet in dec. I can't really say any gains made in a year since I haven't been powerlifting that long but we will see

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAre you doing the The Texas State in December.

VIKING KING

kaneman
09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Are you doing the The Texas State in December.

VIKING KING

Negative. It's a meet in Washington

Deviator
09-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Started with a 5X5 gonna try 5/3/1 to break this plateau

Ragnor
09-24-2017, 03:17 AM
Negative. It's a meet in Washington

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOkay cool. There's a big USPA Meet in December in Texas, not a National Meet. Think I'm going to compete. Going to be there anyway have family Competing in the Meet and I've actually Competed at quite a few always take my Weight Class in Raw and Overall when I Compete. Did a National in July and took First in my Weight Class and Overall. Yes I'm a Creature of Nature when it comes to Competitions Bodybuilding and Powerlifting. Bodybuilding is my Passion but love Competing.

VIKING KING

kaneman
09-24-2017, 03:55 AM
Okay cool. There's a big USPA Meet in December in Texas, not a National Meet. Think I'm going to compete. Going to be there anyway have family Competing in the Meet and I've actually Competed at quite a few always take my Weight Class in Raw and Overall when I Compete. Did a National in July and took First in my Weight Class and Overall. Yes I'm a Creature of Nature when it comes to Competitions Bodybuilding and Powerlifting. Bodybuilding is my Passion but love Competing.

VIKING KING

Do it bro!! I've only done one but I took my weight class as well. I love body building I've been doing it for 8-9 years but there's nothing like being on that platform and pushing yourself to the limit!! I'm hooked no looking back now. I've found that unlike the stereotype of powerlifters you can stay looking great while pushing good weight no need to cram excess calories down and get fat to do it like I had always thought for some reason.

kaneman
09-24-2017, 03:56 AM
Started with a 5X5 gonna try 5/3/1 to break this plateau

You'll like it bro it's very easy to stick with as well

Ragnor
09-24-2017, 04:15 AM
Do it bro!! I've only done one but I took my weight class as well. I love body building I've been doing it for 8-9 years but there's nothing like being on that platform and pushing yourself to the limit!! I'm hooked no looking back now. I've found that unlike the stereotype of powerlifters you can stay looking great while pushing good weight no need to cram excess calories down and get fat to do it like I had always thought for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah it's a blast for sure. I've always Strength Lifted so my Tendons and Joints are familiar with the the Weight to Say the Least lol. I PRed a 620 Bench, 855 Deadlift, 975 Squat with wraps, Total 2450# at the National Meet.

VIKING KING

Loose Cannon
09-24-2017, 07:21 AM
when i first started my gear journey several years ago, from my first cycle my bench went from 225 to 335 in about 9 months. its was fucking awesome lol have surpassed those PRs now but i will still never forget that.

kaneman
09-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Yeah it's a blast for sure. I've always Strength Lifted so my Tendons and Joints are familiar with the the Weight to Say the Least lol. I PRed a 620 Bench, 855 Deadlift, 975 Squat with wraps, Total 2450# at the National Meet.

VIKING KING

Dammm that's a crazy total!!!

eforce
09-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Those numbers are huge!!! Geez

Props for sure and stay healthy

Boxsquatter
10-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Hey Ragnor I have a question. What weight class did you compete in? Because at those number in the raw division wraps allowed 2450 is elite #’s. Guys at westised,elite,and super training are hitting numbers like that. Just curious not trying
to disrespect cuase
you definitely are fucking jacked

Ragnor
10-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Hey Ragnor I have a question. What weight class did you compete in? Because at those number in the raw division wraps allowed 2450 is elite #’s. Guys at westised,elite,and super training are hitting numbers like that. Just curious not trying
to disrespect cuase
you definitely are fucking jackedI weighed 305#s and Competed in the 308s Class. I only use knee wraps on Squats I like Raw lifting at a Meet, makes you feel good knowing your Smashing Guys In the Elite Classes going Raw man. It's all about Raw Power to Me when I lift.

VIKING KING

Weapon X
10-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Good luck with your contest. Some people are just genetically gifted when it comes to strength. I'm not one of them. Back in the 80's I worked out at the same gym this powerlifting freak of nature did (Tony Conyers). Watching him lift was humbling as I outweighed him by 60lbs but couldn't come close to his lifts. He made it seem easy. Tony Conyers Raw Bench 42lbs @156lbs BW stronglifetampabay.com - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apmtACq2D8M). 605lb squat weighing 148lbs. Tony Conyers 65lbs Raw Squat @ 148lbs Body Weight! - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5ltOhBn2I)
I weighed 305#s and Competed in the 308s Class. I only use knee wraps on Squats I like Raw lifting at a Meet, makes you feel good knowing your Smashing Guys In the Elite Classes going Raw man. It's all about Raw Power to Me when I lift.

VIKING KING

Boxsquatter
10-18-2017, 10:51 AM
VIKING KING YOU GOT MY RESPECT. I’ve competed many time and my best meet was 1620 and I ate alot of scoobie snacks for months before. Last meet I won the 275 class weighing 273. ����

Ragnor
10-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Good luck with your contest. Some people are just genetically gifted when it comes to strength. I'm not one of them. Back in the 80's I worked out at the same gym this powerlifting freak of nature did (Tony Conyers). Watching him lift was humbling as I outweighed him by 60lbs but couldn't come close to his lifts. He made it seem easy. Tony Conyers Raw Bench 42lbs @156lbs BW stronglifetampabay.com - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apmtACq2D8M). 605lb squat weighing 148lbs. Tony Conyers 65lbs Raw Squat @ 148lbs Body Weight! - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5ltOhBn2I)Very awesome man. Helps one of my top Trainers Holds over 126 World Records in Powerlifting in over 27 different Federation's. Not hard to Figure out who we're both From Texas and Reside in Texas lol. Holding one of the Worlds Biggest Records Currently.

VIKING KING

Deviator
10-20-2017, 02:37 AM
Damn that’s an awesome total. Need to remind myself it’s a marathon not a sprint, keep the tendons and joints as happy as I can

Bear80
12-30-2017, 08:47 PM
Nmm

Bear80
12-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Trying to keep a pretty conservative goal for increasing my totals 60 lbs on each lift for a year seems like it’s doable. Just getting back into powerlifting right now I am sitting at a 1300 total after 6 months of actually training bench squat and dead’s hard(500 squat and dead’s 300 on the bench). This is my first hard plateau I have seen in a while, what is the best gains you guys have seen in a year

60 lbs in a year per lift is maybe attainable to a novice, but as time goes on putting 60 lbs on your total in a year (not each lift) is an accomplishment. 60 on each lift per year is 180 on the total, so in 4 years at that pace you would be one of the most elite lifters in earth regardless of weight class.

This is something that will depend a lot on your training age and body weight. If you still have a lot of room to go up in weight then there’s potentially more on the table, and if you haven’t been training for powerlifting for a long time you’ll have a lot of big quick gains ahead of you. I know you said you have been at it for 6 months, but the history before that will have some effect as well. If you did it for 5 years, took 2 off, and now have been back at it for 6 months you may catch back up to where you left off pretty quick by then slow down. If you’ve never powerlifted at all and have been at it for 6 months then for a year or two you’ll probably be moving up pretty fast. Just don’t left it kill your motivation when it slows down.

Conjugate style training is great for busting through plateaus, and even avoiding them. Try west side for a month or 2 and see if your lifts don’t start to move a little.