PDA

View Full Version : Overeem ready for UFC 141 'dream fight,' looks forward to future bout with Dos Santo

STEROID
12-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Overeem ready for UFC 141 'dream fight,' looks forward to future bout with Dos Santos
by John Morgan on Dec 19, 2011

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5/41532250.jpg (http://bodybuilderselite.com/bbelite/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fimg525.imageshack.us%2Fimg5 25%2F5%2F41532250.jpg)

While much of the buildup for next week's year-end UFC 141 event has focused on the health of Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and the licensing difficulties of Alistair Overeem (35-11 MMA, 0-0 UFC), the two massive heavyweights aren't really interested in addressing those topics.

Instead, both fighters insist their focus is entirely on what will happen when the cage door closes behind them

The intriguing clash of superstars is sure to have Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena abuzz, and Overeem promises to deliver a show. After all, he's happy to take part in this "dream fight," and he looks forward to meeting the champion, as well.

"I'm very happy with the opportunity I got fighting Brock," Overeem today told MMAjunkie.com on a conference call promoting the event. "I think it's a dream match for not only myself but for the fans, as well."

When Overeem and Lesnar clash in the Dec. 30 pay-per-view headliner, they'll determine the next challenger to current heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos. Overeem will have the added challenge of dealing with the dreaded "octagon jitters," which in the past have affected even the most experienced of fighters when making their UFC debut.

Overeem, a former Strikeforce heavyweight champion who has competed in high-profile MMA and kickboxing bouts around the globe since 1999, said he's not concerned with that aspect of the matchup.

"I don't really see it as pressure," Overeem said. "Of course, the UFC is 100 times bigger than Strikeforce. UFC is huge, and there's a lot of media attention on it. But the nice thing about me is the bigger the fight is, the bigger the media attention, the more people that come to watch, the better that I score - the better I achieve in the ring. The bigger it is, the better it is for me.

"Is there pressure in the UFC? Of course there's pressure. The same pressure is on Brock. One of us is going to take a step up, and one of us is going to take a step down."

While Overeem does boast 19 wins via submission during his 12-year career, most MMA pundits believe the contest is set to play out as a predominantly "striker vs. grappler" affair. Overeem declined to explain exactly how he envisions the contest playing out, but he sounded fairly confident the explosive athletes weren't going to need five rounds to determine a winner.

"I'm prepared for the five rounds; I've been doing five rounds forever now, it seems," Overeem said. "But looking at myself, the type of fighter that I am, looking at Brock and the type of fighter he is, looking at both of our characters, we're aggressive.

"We're not the type of guys that back up, if you know what I mean. We're fighters, and we want to finish fights. I'm going to be doing that Dec. 30. I expect him to be doing that. I don't see it really going past the first or the second round - second round maximum."

The winner earns a future bout with Dos Santos, though a date for the matchup has yet to be determined. Both Overeem and Lesnar said they weren't looking too far forward, especially since each realize the magnitude of what lies in front of them at UFC 141.

But Overeem admits he's at least considered the potential of facing the Brazilian knockout artist, and he believes Dos Santos provides an entertaining challenge.

"It's a great opportunity to fight for the title after this, but … you shouldn't overlook your opponent," Overeem said. "If I do dwell on the prospect a little bit, I think style-wise, Dos Santos and me is going to be an excellent fight, striker vs. striker. I think with my experience, I should have the upper hand.

"I have to say he's very dangerous with his hands. He's got a knockout in both hands. He's clever. He's fast. But I'm looking forward to fighting him after Brock."

Should Overeem somehow get through Lesnar and Dos Santos, he would add the UFC title to a trophy case that already includes recently vacated heavyweight titles in both Strikeforce and DREAM, as well as the 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix title, among others. And while those other titles have helped earn the Dutch slugger accolades around the glove, it's the UFC belt Overeem currently covets.

"UFC is the biggest promotion out there today – biggest by far," Overeem said. "I mean, they have the most stacked heavyweight division. The UFC title is the thing that's missing out of my collection.

"I've cleaned up everything outside of the UFC. I went to K-1 and got the K-1 title, which I think was a historic achievement and which I'm very proud of. The UFC title, that's the only thing that's there to achieve."

Mountain Monster
12-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Cant wait to watch these two guys go at it!

just1more
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Hell ya this match will be goood!

STEROID
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Definitely going to be a good one.Overeem is a monster.