PDA

View Full Version : torn meniscus

Jimring
10-13-2017, 08:58 PM
My knees were operated on in 2013 for torn meniscus and scoped etc. now same knee has a torn meniscus again. I didnt want another surgery but I read that torn meniscus can heal. I am almost 50. My doc said meniscus dont heal in people my age, just younger. and that at some point would need a knee repacemtn. in the mean time I just got a series of synvisc injections but knees still hurt.

What is the oldest youve known someone being who was able to get over a torn meniscus?

Thor I Am
11-06-2017, 03:49 AM
I am 48, coming up on 49, and had my right knee done 2015. Speaking for myself, my knee feels great after having it worked on. Mine recovered well. I really took it pretty easy during physical therapy and gradually worked up to mediocre squats (back issues). I can do a great deal of leg presses and leg extensions without any issues.

A friend end of mine , she has had her meniscus done twice and just recently had her knee completely replaced for the second time. I really think it is up to the individual body to some degree. Hope that is more encouraging for you.

curtisg35
11-07-2017, 04:24 AM
My knees were operated on in 2013 for torn meniscus and scoped etc. now same knee has a torn meniscus again. I didnt want another surgery but I read that torn meniscus can heal. I am almost 50. My doc said meniscus dont heal in people my age, just younger. and that at some point would need a knee repacemtn. in the mean time I just got a series of synvisc injections but knees still hurt.

What is the oldest youve known someone being who was able to get over a torn meniscus?

Meniscus doesn't heal well because there is not much blood flow to it.

Jimring
01-11-2018, 07:48 PM
The doc encouraged me to use elliptical and lift etc and just replace knees when I needed to.

At first this sounded like a horrible idea but now I've had a couple months to think about it it would sure help body fat loss and maintenance, and lower body muscle development

Do people here workout with knee replacements? How long do they last when you're doing squats etc

Jimring
01-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Anyone here have knees replaced? I'd really appreciate a PM if you don't want to post public