PDA

View Full Version : Nandrolone and body composition

Hatebreed
11-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Bodybuilders' body composition: effect of nandrolone decanoate.van Marken Lichtenbelt WD (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=van%20Marken%20Lichtenbelt%20WD%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15076791)1, Hartgens F (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Hartgens%20F%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15076791), Vollaard NB (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Vollaard%20NB%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15076791), Ebbing S (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Ebbing%20S%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15076791), Kuipers H (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Kuipers%20H%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15076791).
Author information (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15076791#)

AbstractINTRODUCTION:The use of androgenic-anabolic steroids (AAS) among bodybuilders to increase muscle mass is widespread. Nandrolone decanoate (ND) is one of the most popular misused AAS, although the effects on body composition are equivocal. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine the effect of ND on body composition in male bodybuilders, with special reference to muscle mass alterations.
METHODS:Using a randomized "double-blind" "placebo-controlled" design, 16 experienced male bodybuilders (age: 19-44 yr) either received ND (200 mg.wk(-1), intramuscularly) or placebo for 8 wk. Body composition was assessed using the four-component model, combining results from underwater weighing, dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA), and deuterium dilution. Total bone mineral content and density were measured using DXA. Water compartments (extracellular water [ECW] and intracellular water [ICW]) were determined using deuterium dilution and bromide dilution.
RESULTS:ND administration resulted in significant increments of body mass (+2.2 kg), fat-free mass (FFM: +2.6 kg), and total body water (+1.4 kg). No significant changes in fat mass, percentage fat, ECW, ICW, ECW/ICW ratio, hydration of the FFM, and on bone mineral measurements were observed.
CONCLUSIONS:The results show that the administration of 200 mg.wk(-1) of ND (intramuscularly) for 8 wk significantly increased body mass and FFM, whereas fat mass, bone mineral content, bone mineral density, and the hydration of the FFM remained unaffected. These data indicate that the changes can be attributed to an increase of muscle mass.

Themaskedrider
11-22-2017, 06:27 AM
I wish studies like this would mention training and diet. Seems given that guys running Deca for 8 weeks will show significant increase in body mass compared to guys running nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stormwheather
01-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Im also very interested in deca-topic as it changed me after only one cycle in many ways. I don't think its important to know what theyve trained as All trained same way. Fact is nandrolone is very powerfull, my question will be, what were their sides on this deca solo cycle there?

Ive just read this one :

The opposite effects of nandrolone decanoate and exercise on anxiety levels in rats may involve alterations in hippocampal parvalbumin-positive interneurons.
Selakovic D, et al. PLoS One. 2017.
Show full citation
Abstract

The aim of this study was to evaluate the behavioral effects of chronic (six weeks) nandrolone decanoate (ND, 20 mg/kg, s.c., weekly in single dose) administration (in order to mimic heavy human abuse), and exercise (swimming protocol of 60 minutes a day, five days in a row/two days break), applied alone and simultaneously with ND, in male rats (n = 40). Also, we evaluated the effects of those protocols on hippocampal parvalbumin (PV) content and the possible connection between the alterations in certain parts of hippocampal GABAergic system and behavioral patterns. Both ND and exercise protocols induced increase in testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol blood levels. Our results confirmed anxiogenic effects of ND observed in open field (OF) test (decrease in the locomotor activity, as well as in frequency and cumulative duration in the centre zone) and in elevated plus maze (EPM) test (decrease in frequency and cumulative duration in open arms, and total exploratory activity), that were accompanied with a mild decrease in the number of PV interneurons in hippocampus. Chronic exercise protocol induced significant increase in hippocampal PV neurons (dentate gyrus and CA1 region), followed by anxiolytic-like behavioral changes, observed in both OF and EPM (increase in all estimated parameters), and in evoked beam-walking test (increase in time to cross the beam), compared to ND treated animals. The applied dose of ND was sufficient to attenuate beneficial effects of exercise in rats by means of decreased exercise-induced anxiolytic effect, as well as to reverse exercise-induced augmentation in number of PV immunoreactive neurons in hippocampus. Our results implicate the possibility that alterations in hippocampal PV interneurons (i.e. GABAergic system) may be involved in modulation of anxiety level induced by ND abuse and/or extended exercise Protokolls.

Primemuscle
01-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Good post HB. I’ve always loved deca, especially NPP. And from my experience it can be very versatile in the fact that it can be used to cut or bulk, just depends on diet & cardio. However that’s the case with all compounds, some just tend to do better at one or the other depending on if it’s a ‘wet’ or ‘dry’ compound. Then you have your hybrids which I feel is where NPP and Tren fall in. However diet and training will always dictate the quality of gains being made regardless of the compound IMO

babybull34
01-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Good post HB. I’ve always loved deca, especially NPP. And from my experience it can be very versatile in the fact that it can be used to cut or bulk, just depends on diet & cardio. However that’s the case with all compounds, some just tend to do better at one or the other depending on if it’s a ‘wet’ or ‘dry’ compound. Then you have your hybrids which I feel is where NPP and Tren fall in. However diet and training will always dictate the quality of gains being made regardless of the compound IMO

A lot of truth to your post, Prime.

I know that everyone says that Test is king, test is best, etc. But in my experience, the Nor's have always built the most actual muscle for me and the DHB's and DHT's have always provided me the "best" look/physique changes. This is obviously subjective, but my experience and perspective.

This is why my cycles will stay lower test and higher DHB mixed with higher Nor's and a moderate DHT to solidify/harden gains and give an extra strength nudge.

Primemuscle
01-20-2018, 10:16 PM
A lot of truth to your post, Prime.

I know that everyone says that Test is king, test is best, etc. But in my experience, the Nor's have always built the most actual muscle for me and the DHB's and DHT's have always provided me the "best" look/physique changes. This is obviously subjective, but my experience and perspective.

This is why my cycles will stay lower test and higher DHB mixed with higher Nor's and a moderate DHT to solidify/harden gains and give an extra strength nudge.

Thanks B, likewise my friend. I agree with you. I’ll always keep test in my cycles but at lower doses and use Nor’s or DHB/DHT’s at higher doses to create a great synergy and get some of my best gains.

However I’m doing a high test only cycle currently since I’m logging for monster labs. First time since my first cycle ever I’m running test only past the 400mg mark. So I’ll be interested to see how running 600mg’s test E per week will do compared to my stacking cycles. Guess I’m going to test the test is king statement

babybull34
01-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Thanks B, likewise my friend. I agree with you. I’ll always keep test in my cycles but at lower doses and use Nor’s or DHB/DHT’s at higher doses to create a great synergy and get some of my best gains.

However I’m doing a high test only cycle currently since I’m logging for monster labs. First time since my first cycle ever I’m running test only past the 400mg mark. So I’ll be interested to see how running 600mg’s test E per week will do compared to my stacking cycles. Guess I’m going to test the test is king statement

Well, I will definitely be following your journey and your log, Prime. You can still make incredible gains with Test only, obviously, I was just speaking of personal preference to approach in cycle design.

Also, I have been hearing A LOT of great feedback on Monster's gear. So, if the word on the street is correct you are in for a solid journey, man. They are putting out the fire!

I will go check out your log.

Zeus-Sr
01-20-2018, 10:22 PM
I love NPP and get great gains from it - my only issue with it is that my girl knows exactly when I go on - and is not a fan. I have a strong libido when I am off NPP but after the first week on - I could careless about it even though my test dosage is above the NPP dosage. I have tried not to use caber and instead alternative ways to stimulate dopamine and reduce prolactin levels but not overly effective. I have never had any prolactin gyno issues. Thought about proviron but trying to stay away from DHT.

Primemuscle
01-20-2018, 10:39 PM
Well, I will definitely be following your journey and your log, Prime. You can still make incredible gains with Test only, obviously, I was just speaking of personal preference to approach in cycle design.

Also, I have been hearing A LOT of great feedback on Monster's gear. So, if the word on the street is correct you are in for a solid journey, man. They are putting out the fire!

I will go check out your log.

Thanks for the support brotha, I appreciate that. And I get what you’re saying, test alone gains can be incredible, but I too do agree with you approach to cycle designing. I think using other compounds via stacking and creating a synergy just gives your physique a more enhanced look then test alone.

However I’m looking forward to seeing what monsters gear will do. I was using their test E for my cruise and it was great, me levels were good for the dose I was using. Free T was out the roof due to sub q injections (304) so I was pleased. Excited to see where my levels will be with 600mg after 5-6 weeks.

Primemuscle
01-20-2018, 10:42 PM
I love NPP and get great gains from it - my only issue with it is that my girl knows exactly when I go on - and is not a fan. I have a strong libido when I am off NPP but after the first week on - I could careless about it even though my test dosage is above the NPP dosage. I have tried not to use caber and instead alternative ways to stimulate dopamine and reduce prolactin levels but not overly effective. I have never had any prolactin gyno issues. Thought about proviron but trying to stay away from DHT.

Perhaps try running deca to test at even levels or even deca slightly higher then test. Everyone responds differently so you’ll have to find your sweet spot via trial and error. But based off of what you’ve said I think changing the ratio could work better for you. Also usually if you keep estro in check you won’t have prolactin issues so caber or provi won’t be necessary.

And if you don’t mind me asking, why are you trying to avoid DHT’s?