PDA

View Full Version : UFC 141 results: Nate Diaz dominant in grudge match with Donald Cerrone

STEROID
01-01-2012, 12:47 AM
UFC 141 results: Nate Diaz dominant in grudge match with Donald Cerrone

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1130/98338498.jpg (http://bodybuilderselite.com/bbelite/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fimg85.imageshack.us%2Fimg85 %2F1130%2F98338498.jpg)

Donald Cerrone fought Nate Diaz's fight, and it didn't end well for him.

After a heated rivalry intensified throughout fight week, Diaz got the last word with a dominant unanimous-decision victory that saw Cerrone eat countless shots during a constant barrage of punches.

The fight co-headlined the pay-per-view main card of UFC 141 and followed prelims on Facebook and Spike TV. It took place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The bad blood was evident even before fight week, but it boiled over during a pre-event press conference on Thursday in which Diaz knocked off Cerrone's hat and shoved him. When Diaz missed weight by a pound on his initial attempt at Friday's weigh-ins, the trash-talk continued.

But on fight night, Diaz's fists did most of the talking.

After the fighters refused to touch gloves just prior to the bout, Cerrone rushed forward at the start of the fight. Diaz, though, got the better of the clinch work before each traded heavy punches. Once back in the center of the cage, Diaz unloaded a steady stream of punches, many of which landed flush. With Cerrone pinned against the fence, Diaz unloaded more punches that landed. Cerrone finally slowed the attack with head and low kicks, but Diaz quickly returned to effective combinations that ended a dominant first round.

Cerrone worked low kicks in the second round, but it simply delayed the inevitable. Diaz quickly returned fire and picked away with punches that left Cerrone's mouth oozing blood. Cerrone scored a knockdown with a head kick and again sent Diaz to the mat with a sweeping leg kick. Diaz lost a step, but his punches remained accurate, and Cerrone continued eating far too many of them as the round wore on.

Cerrone's low kicks knocked Diaz to the mat a few times in the third round, but he didn't get the stoppage he desperately needed. The WEC vet continued eating punches, and he was bleeding badly from his nose and mouth by the bout's conclusion.

In the end, the judges scored it 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 to give Diaz a unanimous-decision victory.

Afterward, the bitter rivals finally let down their guards, shook hands, and remained humble both in victory and defeat.

"I hope I didn't look too sloppy, but I'm happy I got the win," said Diaz, who said he was poked in the eye (by legal fists) on a few occasions. "I want to thank Donald Cerrone for taking the fight. I'm sorry for all the [expletive] that went down."

Diaz (15-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) has now won both of his lightweight fights following a brief and unsuccessful move up to welterweight. Cerrone (17-4 MMA, 4-1 UFC), meanwhile, suffers his first UFC loss and snaps a six-fight win streak.